Seattle to Europe & Seattle to S. Pacific

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddw36

Vessel Name
HI-HO
Vessel Make
Diesel Duck 462 (my fantasy)
First, Seattle to Europe. Has anyone thought of or has experience with, passaging from Seattle to Europe by way of the NW Passage? Seems to me that during summer mos., it would be preferable than a long passage thru Panama Canal, etc.

Second, I read of voyages to Polynesia from Central American countries, going directly across the Pacific, whereas were I to do it from Seattle, I'd go to San Francisco > Hawaii > Christmas Island, putting me a short southern route into French Poynesia, etc.

Any comments? I'm an armchair voyager at my age, but would like to see comments on these two alternative routes from Seattle to Europe or to Polynesia.

I believe that James Fleming (Fleming Yachts) did a NW passage in his 55' boat. YouTube has several of his videos, all well worth watching.

I think getting to Polynesia would require a boat with those big, white, billowy things they hang from tall masts.

I toyed with the idea of Europe to Seattle via the NW passage a couple of years ago. Nothing serious, just dreaming....

When I stepped off the distance from the Mediterranean going either way the distance saving using the NW passage was considerable but not in my opinion worth the trouble / risk. Uncertain route, risk of wintering over, difficulty of getting parts and service if need be, difficulty of provisioning.

And in the end, what did I want to look at for months on end. Sub arctic and arctic tundra? Or the beautiful coasts of the Americas?

But, as I said, just dreaming....

Crossing the Pacific in a power boat means traveling from fuel source to fuel source. You have to know fuel will be available at the next destination. I've crossed the Pacific several times. In ships and tuna boats. I like being at sea, but for most people it's a long, boring trip. The destination better be worth it.
You need a boat with a large fuel capacity or room for temporary fuel bladders. And enough fuel to dodge the dangerous storms. That can mean 500+ miles out of your way.

I toyed with the idea of Europe to Seattle via the NW passage a couple of years ago. Nothing serious, just dreaming....

When I stepped off the distance from the Mediterranean going either way the distance saving using the NW passage was considerable but not in my opinion worth the trouble / risk. Uncertain route, risk of wintering over, difficulty of getting parts and service if need be, difficulty of provisioning.

And in the end, what did I want to look at for months on end. Sub arctic and arctic tundra? Or the beautiful coasts of the Americas?

But, as I said, just dreaming....

Matt Rutherford sailed around N and S America non stop in a 27' Vega sail boat about 7 years ago. Went through the Northwest Passage from east to west.

https://www.pbs.org/video/wpbt2-presents-red-dot-ocean-story-matt-rutherford/

The 55' aluminum diesel duck "Idlewild", built in Vancouver BC, went through the NW passage in 2005 and continued on around the world. I read Ben's book. Quite the trip.

Attachments

• Bensboat.jpg
    Bensboat.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
This yacht, Triton, did the NW Passage a few years ago and is getting ready to go again this summer.

Attachments

• Triton_038_web2.jpg
    Triton_038_web2.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
We plan to leave Puget Sound for the South Pacific. Exact timing and departure point will be determined ICW a weather router when we are ready to depart. I envision a series of legs down the coast until the desired weather window opens, then direct Hawaii (wife) or Marquesas (me). We may go direct to Hawaii from Cape Flattery.

I would love to do the NW passage. I followed Idlewild and Bagan on their trips. This trip is an order of magnitude more complex than an ocean passage...and there could be several years of unfavorable (read: impossible) weather conditions. If we have the opportunity, great - but I doubt we will invest the time and effort for such a specialized expedition.

Koliver - how can I follow the TRITON trip, please? Beautiful boat- she has been coming here for fuel.

We plan to leave Puget Sound for the South Pacific. Exact timing and departure point will be determined ICW a weather router when we are ready to depart. I envision a series of legs down the coast until the desired weather window opens, then direct Hawaii (wife) or Marquesas (me). We may go direct to Hawaii from Cape Flattery.

I would love to do the NW passage. I followed Idlewild and Bagan on their trips. This trip is an order of magnitude more complex than an ocean passage...and there could be several years of unfavorable (read: impossible) weather conditions. If we have the opportunity, great - but I doubt we will invest the time and effort for such a specialized expedition.
As to S. Pacific passage, I agree w/ your wife. Seattle > Hawaii > Christmas Island exposes you to least amount of sea time. Seattle > Hawaii would be longest sea time. Once at Christmas, short jaunt to Marquesas & then island hopping far West as you want. I'm ignorant of weather/ current, etc., conditions and that is your best judgment. But, distance-wise, I think your wife is right.

Re: NW Passage, I have not gone into all details, but if I were to do it, I'd examine cruising guides, charts, weather info, etc., all I could. Bering Sea would be a challenge, but maybe doable, height of summer. I've checked for populations along southern coast of the passage & it seems pretty well populated. Whether or not adequate help is available is a question. At any rate, I think it deserves serious consideration to go from Seattle to Europe in less time. Distance is almost half of that going thru Panama, etc.

Crossing the Pacific in a power boat means traveling from fuel source to fuel source. You have to know fuel will be available at the next destination. I've crossed the Pacific several times. In ships and tuna boats. I like being at sea, but for most people it's a long, boring trip. The destination better be worth it.
You need a boat with a large fuel capacity or room for temporary fuel bladders. And enough fuel to dodge the dangerous storms. That can mean 500+ miles out of your way.
Well, it really comes back to what do you want to do w/ your boat? Most members on here like leisurely weekend or longer, cruises amongst San Juans or the Loop, ICW, etc. That's ok. No need for big tanks.

But, for ocean passages, tankage of at least 1K gallons is essential. There are boats under 50' w/ that tankage, but I look at Krogen 42s and Diesel Duck 382 steel hulls. These are boats w/in my price range, older boats, of course. As to boring at sea, I agree, so any passage I would make would be to reduce exposure to open water much as I could. That's why my suggestions re: Seattle > Europe, Seattle > S. Pacific.

I believe that James Fleming (Fleming Yachts) did a NW passage in his 55' boat. YouTube has several of his videos, all well worth watching.

I think getting to Polynesia would require a boat with those big, white, billowy things they hang from tall masts.

A Kadey Krogen 42 did California to Australia via the S. Pac in 2015.

The Kadey Krogen 42 was designed by James Krogen to have a range of 3,000 nm which is the longest leg on any circumnavigation. :dance:

Well, it really comes back to what do you want to do w/ your boat? Most members on here like leisurely weekend or longer, cruises amongst San Juans or the Loop, ICW, etc. That's ok. No need for big tanks.

But, for ocean passages, tankage of at least 1K gallons is essential. There are boats under 50' w/ that tankage, but I look at Krogen 42s and Diesel Duck 382 steel hulls. These are boats w/in my price range, older boats, of course. As to boring at sea, I agree, so any passage I would make would be to reduce exposure to open water much as I could. That's why my suggestions re: Seattle > Europe, Seattle > S. Pacific.

West coast to South Pacific is easy.
The problem is how do you get to Europe from there?

Piracy in the Northern Indian ocean has become a real show stopper.

Koliver - how can I follow the TRITON trip, please? Beautiful boat- she has been coming here for fuel.

We have been getting the inside information from a friend whose son is crew, but with him starting a family he is looking for other employment, so that source may be gone.

Best I can do is searches on Boatbeacon or Marine Traffic, for current position. Sorry, I have nothing else for plans.

First of all... This may have already been referenced, but a Nordhavn 57 made the NW passage trip several years ago, East to West. I believe it was pretty well documented by Passagemaker and is a good read.

Secondly... The Nordhavn 52, MV Dirona, made the trip from SF to HI and on to the South Pacific and Australia. This voyage is very well documented on their website and also in, I think, Passagemaker. Search MV Dirona and you will find numerous info sources about Dirona.

As a professional seafarer on passenger ships for over 30 years my advice would be : keep dreaming, then take a plane to the destination you want to explore, bareboat charter a boat and enjoy!

The sea in general has little mercy and to go from fuel stop to fuel stop, even with redundancy on board would not be my cup of tea. I have seen the sea in her most amazing calm and beautiful conditions but also in conditions where even us on a 45.000 ton ship looked in amazement and awe and were glad we had 4 engines, engineers and a host of redundancy.......But if you do go, smooth sailing and enjoy the passage! Be safe!

Second thoughts re: NW Passage

First, Seattle to Europe. Has anyone thought of or has experience with, passaging from Seattle to Europe by way of the NW Passage? Seems to me that during summer mos., it would be preferable than a long passage thru Panama Canal, etc.

Second, I read of voyages to Polynesia from Central American countries, going directly across the Pacific, whereas were I to do it from Seattle, I'd go to San Francisco > Hawaii > Christmas Island, putting me a short southern route into French Poynesia, etc.

Any comments? I'm an armchair voyager at my age, but would like to see comments on these two alternative routes from Seattle to Europe or to Polynesia.
These are a series of pictures taken, July 2017, during the cruise of the Finnish ship, Nautica. A 40' or 45' trawler would have serious difficulty getting thru the sea ice, even w/ climate change:

https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2017/07/earliest-crossing-of-the-northwest-passage-ever/535443/

Last edited:
Well if there's one thing I learned from that video, it's that everyone who sails the NWP is required to play the guitar!

As a professional seafarer on passenger ships for over 30 years my advice would be : keep dreaming, then take a plane to the destination you want to explore, bareboat charter a boat and enjoy!

Yes I agree... everyone on this site should sell their boats and this TF needs to be shut down (sarcasm of course).

To the OP: all great adventures begin with a dream, and all great adventurers started out with zero experience. So just use your knowledge, common sense, wits, resources and contacts to gain the necessary experience so that each trip you take, whether it's a sail across the bay or across the ocean, is done with confidence and minimum risk.

Re: NW Passage, I have not gone into all details, but if I were to do it, I'd examine cruising guides, charts, weather info, etc., all I could. Bering Sea would be a challenge, but maybe doable, height of summer. I've checked for populations along southern coast of the passage & it seems pretty well populated. Whether or not adequate help is available is a question. At any rate, I think it deserves serious consideration to go from Seattle to Europe in less time. Distance is almost half of that going thru Panama, etc.

IIRC, the USCG has two old ice breakers with a third approved for construction. As the NWP opens up with climate change, the US will need more. It is unfortunate that we are not prepared. I think Canadian Coast Guard has about a dozen and the Canadian Navy has another handful scheduled to be completed. Russia has a bunch including a number of nuclear powered icebreakers.

In the future, the Arctic will likely represent the valuable marine trade routes. The US needs to have the capability to project power in that area to protect our interests.

I’d love to try to cruise the NWP. If I had the financial resources, it would be something I would attempt.

What the videos, esp. the one I posted, show, to a degree I didn't realize, that even as late as 2017, despite global warming, sea ice can still be an issue for small passagemakers. I think only a steel-hulled boat like a Diesel Duck 382 or 462 could handle that ice. Even then, sure, those ice floes do not look intimidating, but even the small ones could weigh many tons so that a small boat would have a time moving them out of the way, with quite a cost to the hull. And this, even in July.

Yes, I posted the possibility, but now have my doubts re: small passagemakers. I am not closed on the subject & maybe someone here could make an opposing opinion, keeping in mind we are talking about small boats & perhaps not even GRP boats.

There are fiberglass boats and wood boats that have made the passage in the last decade. You should research them, chat with the owners for feedback, etc.

Back
Top Bottom