View Single Post
Old 05-09-2019, 09:07 PM   #8
Scratchnsaw

City: SOBX North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy View Post
So in 2006 i was dismissed as a boat buyer. Finally went elsewhere and did not buy from that broker but found what we were looking for and bought our boat. Seems like women are not supposed to buy boats. I kinda passed it off as the times. But here i am now. ... Ready to buy a trawler... Looking to be a looper. I have done my research, know what i want... For the most part... But when i contact brokers.... I get totally dissed and passed over like i know nothing! So I'm a pilot, i know systems and engines and have owned and lived on boats most of my life,... But the freaking broker hears that a woman wants to buy a trawler.... And here ya go... You get total bs and that...tone... Like they don't want to even waste their time talking to me! Drives me crazy! I'm in Florida. Anyone know who i can turn to that will assist me in byung my "loop mobile" and treat me like a human being?
That's total nonsense. I cant help you with a particular broker, but there are a lot of women that knows a ton more than a large percentage of people in the sales end of boats. One of the most seasoned brokers many moons ago was a woman that wore a hat all the time as her trademark at Bradfords, IIRC. But its been years ago and she probably has aged out of the industry.

If my wife was looking for a boat to buy, in most all cases she qualifies as one of the most knowledgeable persons unlike a ton of brokers in the business.

One of things that would take place, and maybe its the case on your end, she is pretty mild mannered and even keel, or maybe what is known as unpretentious when you meet her.

So I would probably say that you may have run into some of the least experienced one that probably expects to do little to no work to earn your business. So its probably good that you weed them out from the start when you get no respect as a potential customer.

It used to be a saying that " boat brokers are nothing more than car salesmen in topsiders". A long time ago Florida did improve the industry by placing some regulations on obtaining a license too.

So at least you know when you end up getting the attention of one, you will probably get good service. Good luck on your future loop trip. And just wanted to give you some encouragement..