Is this OK with you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So what? Aren’t there actual important things to worry about instead? Why get steamed up over silly stuff like this.......?

Using gender-neutral names is fine. Trying to white-wash history by changing all of the existing signs is pretty stupid, and ultimately always ends up being counter-productive.

Getting sailors to love a warship beyond simple duty is a tricky part of leadership.

The old traditions often worked .....but times change.

Let's hope the leaders of today have enough tools to effectively lead...

I see this as one of those things that may seem silly to many, unless it was a big part of one's life like mine.

Last edited:
NO, it's not OK with me, and I hope I never get used to referring to a boat as anything other than "she". Some traditions just should never go away.

Silly. As long as nobody tries to force me to refrain from saying she when I refer to a ship, I really don't care what they do. I'm not going to cave to comply with their PC logic.

Ted

Been thinkin' of opening a comedy club called, "Anything Goes." With so many stand-up comedians out of work due to PC it should pack em' in.:lol:

Wifey B: Can a single one of you state why you refer to a boat as a she? :rolleyes:

It is perfectly fine with me. I am curious why people on either side of the argument care.

How is referring to a boat by gender offensive?

How is Not referring to a boat by gender offensive?

The real answer is that the old English language used to have more gender specific words, like latin and the subsequent romance languages. They have evolved out of the language in all but a few examples.

The rest of the 'excuses' for the origin of gender on boats are whimsical notions to attempt to explain that which is not understood.

It is perfectly fine with me. I am curious why people on either side of the argument care.

How is referring to a boat by gender offensive?

How is Not referring to a boat by gender offensive?

The real answer is that the old English language used to have more gender specific words, like latin and the subsequent romance languages. They have evolved out of the language in all but a few examples.

The rest of the 'excuses' for the origin of gender on boats are whimsical notions to attempt to explain that which is not understood.

Wifey B: Part of my question was if it's important to someone do they even know the why and wherefore. In English we refer to various things as he or she or him or her, none of them for any logical reason except we don't like to use the term "it." When many boats were named after females then it made sense. If you name a boat "Bob" then I don't see referring to it as she. Because we're not old salts, we haven't referred to them as she, but haven't found it offensive either. :)

Now I do find offensive and dangerous any of you who just choose to honor Neptune when you christen a new boat and ignore Salacia. Then you wonder why you get hit by sudden higher waves than forecast. :rofl: Honor Salacia properly and the only rogue waves will be inside the boat. :blush:

This issue isn’t about boats at all. It is yet another effort from an unfulfilled miserable minority to somehow address their misery. Look around, it is happening everywhere. The end result - those pushing their agenda will be as miserable tomorrow as they were yesterday.

This issue isn’t about boats at all. It is yet another effort from an unfulfilled miserable minority to somehow address their misery. Look around, it is happening everywhere. The end result - those pushing their agenda will be as miserable tomorrow as they were yesterday.

Wifey B: You sure have your panties in a wad and just what agenda are you referring to? What is the unfulfilled miserable minority you refer to? I don't know that this was a huge issue to anyone one way or the other but for accuracy a boat is neither male nor female. The museum is adjusting to reflect that. I personally could hardly have cared less. :rolleyes:

I think calling ships she is silly. Especially ships with names like "HMS Prince of Wales" or "USS George Washington."

I think calling ships she is silly. Especially ships with names like "HMS Prince of Wales" or "USS George Washington."

Wifey B: Maybe they know something about them that we don't. :eek::lol:

I'd probably edit a student's paper referring to them as she's. :)

Wifey B: Can a single one of you state why you refer to a boat as a she? :rolleyes:
You're missing the point. The reason doesn't matter. Everyone should be able to use whatever pronoun they want in a trivial matter such as this. The issue is about others trying to impose their doctrine on the rest. It's what PC is all about. F****m!

Ted

I've read that all Russiam vessels are male. No attribution...maybe Tom Clancy?

You're missing the point. The reason doesn't matter. Everyone should be able to use whatever pronoun they want in a trivial matter such as this. The issue is about others trying to impose their doctrine on the rest. It's what PC is all about. F****m!

Ted

I didn't say I objected to it. I simply asked a question. You are the ones who get so wound up over it. I thought it might be interesting to hear why you did so, if you had a reason. I'm not imposing a doctrine. I don't give a dam... And all of PC is about different things, some more serious than others. I think PC is very good when the lack of it is things blatantly offensive to large groups of people. What you call a boat isn't. Now, I said as a teacher I'd edit, because grammatically, it's incorrect. :)

Tradition.
It not important. And a typical Telegraph quiet news day beat up.
Gender is what it is. Look at Caster Semenya.
PC is crap.

Tradition.
It not important. And a typical Telegraph quiet news day beat up.
Gender is what it is. Look at Caster Semenya.
PC is crap.

Wifey B: Would you call a boat named George Washington a she? Or did it become common when more boats had girls names? Just you personally, not what you'd expect others to do. :ermm:

Wifey B: Would you call a boat named George Washington a she? Or did it become common when more boats had girls names? Just you personally, not what you'd expect others to do. :ermm:
I can only answer for me. Yes I would. For no better reason than tradition,despite the obvious conflict. And again, I don`t think it matters a rat`s ass either way.

Because we are always talking about how great our boat is and making excuses for their shortcomings? :)

Tongue in cheek humor, no offense intended :)

Greetings,
Ms. WB. There are two issues here. One is tradition and the other is the proliferation of "political correctness". What's next? Person-hole covers in the streets. Women going through persons-o-pause? Better yet, Them-o-pause.

Shades of Orwell's Newspeak...Double plus ungood.

Regarding the OP: George Carlin said it best...

Last edited:
I can only answer for me. Yes I would. For no better reason than tradition,despite the obvious conflict. And again, I don`t think it matters a rat`s ass either way.

Wifey B: I don't care what sex you use for your boat, but then I'm bisexual. :rofl:

Greetings,
Ms. WB. There are two issues here. One is tradition and the other is the proliferation of "political correctness".

Wifey B: I think to lump all language issues under political correctness is just as wrong. To use this issue as some sign that all PC is wrong, is wrong. I am totally for PC when it comes to derogatory terms used to reference any group of people, whether sex, age, race, or ethnicity. This is not in any way any of those. It's simply a language issue. I don't find it objectionable, but just not consistent with my use of the English language. I don't find the term mailman on the surface offensive, but I still don't use it as it came from a period when most mail carriers were men. Now, that's not the case. At one time all board chairpersons were men so it was Chairman. I would find it not to be addressed as Madame Chairman.

The difference in this and important issues is that there's no offense meant to anyone now or ever in referring to a boat as a she. The objectionable terms and those that should be eliminated are those used now or in the past in a derogatory manner.

PC is taken too far sometimes, but getting all bent out of shape because a museum stops using she and goes to the pronoun for inanimate objects is a bit much too.

We're very careful in business to not use gender specific pronouns, simply because they're incorrect in most places. It is more of a challenge to older persons as they've "always done it that way." Now, in our business we have to watch it both ways as we have many positions that have more typically been held by females. I was a teacher and I saw the use of female pronouns to refer to groups that had males too. No one got offended, but as educators we should at least use the proper pronoun.

Just be careful in blasting "political correctness" as much of it is very seriously called for while other is trivial nonsense. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom