View Single Post
Old 05-02-2019, 02:30 PM   #12
BandB
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
It is perfectly fine with me. I am curious why people on either side of the argument care.

How is referring to a boat by gender offensive?

How is Not referring to a boat by gender offensive?

The real answer is that the old English language used to have more gender specific words, like latin and the subsequent romance languages. They have evolved out of the language in all but a few examples.

The rest of the 'excuses' for the origin of gender on boats are whimsical notions to attempt to explain that which is not understood.
Wifey B: Part of my question was if it's important to someone do they even know the why and wherefore. In English we refer to various things as he or she or him or her, none of them for any logical reason except we don't like to use the term "it." When many boats were named after females then it made sense. If you name a boat "Bob" then I don't see referring to it as she. Because we're not old salts, we haven't referred to them as she, but haven't found it offensive either.

Now I do find offensive and dangerous any of you who just choose to honor Neptune when you christen a new boat and ignore Salacia. Then you wonder why you get hit by sudden higher waves than forecast. Honor Salacia properly and the only rogue waves will be inside the boat.