Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grandbanks3642

Veteran Member
Looking for boats, I know there are a million things to consider but right now my main question is for a new boat owner is it better to look for boats with a twin or single screw? I am leaning toward the twin screw because of security if you lose an engine and maneuverability, but I don’t like the higher cost of fuel and maintenance. Thanks for your input.

Welcome.

Search the forum using the link at the top of the screen. There are a gazillion previous threads on this.

This has been beat to death, search and you will find more info than you will ever want. Next ask whick anchor is best...

Most will agree that twin engine is better than a single, especially on a new boat. I am 2/3rd's into re-powering a single engine and anticipate the bill to be north of $50,000 (gas, but if I had gone diesel, a lot higher). After this experience, if I were buying an older boat knowing what I know now, definitely a single engine with a bow thruster. I can't imagine re-powering two old engines, especially diesels.

Welcome to the forum. Singles are way better if you like one engine with lower maintenance costs and no backup, twins are way better if you prefer improved maneuverability, redundancy, doubled maintenance costs and doubled routine maintenance work.
If you do your own work, twins take double the time. A recent poster shared about full routine service on a Ford Lehman costing several thousand dollars. Double that for twins if you have a shop do it.
Mansons, Rocnas and Excels are among the best anchors — just ask anyone on this forum.

Looking for boats, I know there are a million things to consider but right now my main question is for a new boat owner is it better to look for boats with a twin or single screw? I am leaning toward the twin screw because of security if you lose an engine and maneuverability, but I don’t like the higher cost of fuel and maintenance. Thanks for your input.

Lots of threads on the topic.

One point you'll find is that fuel consumption for twins is often about the same as for a single.

Lots of personal preference and Zen involved in the decision...

-Chris

Most will agree that twin engine is better than a single, especially on a new boat. I am 2/3rd's into re-powering a single engine and anticipate the bill to be north of $50,000 (gas, but if I had gone diesel, a lot higher). After this experience, if I were buying an older boat knowing what I know now, definitely a single engine with a bow thruster. I can't imagine re-powering two old engines, especially diesels.
I just rebuild not repower. Last year it cost me about 9k to do a frame in rebuild of my detroit 6/71, now I'm good for at least 10k hours

Back
Top Bottom