View Single Post
Old 04-30-2019, 09:22 AM   #5
CaptTom
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
It's confusing because word definitions and assumptions get batted around too freely.

Most states will require you to pay the applicable sales/property/excise tax if the boat is kept primarily in that state for a certain duration. That's all about the money.

Some will require you to "register," which may or may not have a fee of its own. Many will require a registration or tax sticker. None can require that a documented boat display registration numbers on the forward half of the vessel.

Example: New Hampshire and Maine share a border. Some New Hampshire boaters have found that keeping the boat in ME and documenting it is cheaper than keeping and registering it in NH. ME does charge an excise tax on documented vessels, but it's often less than, or at least close to, what NH (with a reputation as a "no tax" state) charges for registration.

None of this has anything to do with any jurisdiction's right to board or otherwise enforce any laws. I notice the water cops in our area tend to focus on the small runabouts while the documented boats, being larger, more complex to inspect and less likely to result in violations, are boarded less.

For boat loans, some lenders will require a boat be documented.

Documentation can be done totally on line; no need to go down to the DMV or town hall and wait in line.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote