Simple Sailing Versus Well Appointed Trawlering

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been on the " dark side " a few times. Both have their good and bad points. I'm now 75 and this boat suits me better to head out in the Tasman Sea where conditions are often a bit extreme. I did notice however that the last powerboat I had in Sydney was given a hard time by sailboats, sometimes they would deliberately change course or tack to give me a hard time.

I've been on the " dark side " a few times. Both have their good and bad points. I'm now 75 and this boat suits me better to head out in the Tasman Sea where conditions are often a bit extreme. I did notice however that the last powerboat I had in Sydney was given a hard time by sailboats, sometimes they would deliberately change course or tack to give me a hard time.

I've had a few change course to cross my bow in a wide open space just to pass port to port. The last one I had to radio to ask his intentions since he really had to go out of his way to do so. To the extent I had to change course to my starboard..

Was it being obtuse, or just wanting to do the "right thing?" Who knows.

We lived aboard a sailboat for 3 years in the 70's. We didn't have running water or refrigeration and only a 20 gallon fresh water tank. I'm 74 now and those are my fondest memories...but we are still boating.
https://72land-n-sea.blogspot.com/2012/02/my-boat-for-bahamas.html

Not everyone has or wants to have the bucks to do it in the most ostentatious manner.

Hi Menzies, how're ya doin, were about similar vintage, what part of Ireland are you from ?
I was skint back then and my first 'boat' was given to me by some old hands, it was a sunken dinghy in Glenarm harbour up in Co Antrim.
It was some 'craic' getting her up and fixed but it gave me the boating bug.

Derry. Grew up sailing on Lough Swilly, racing round the marks and longer races around Tory and back, into Mulroy Bay etc.

QUOTE At this point I would call it an even trade-off. In general we feel that sailors live closer to the water, weather and have easier interactions with local culture. Respect is due.

Everyone enjoys the same surrounding nature and culture, no matter what you have. And, as noted above, there is always a bigger and better boat around the corner.[/QUOTE]

We too sailed for 30 years before buying our trawler last year. You said it far more elequently than I.
Comparing sailing and trawlering is like comparing apples to oranges. While we no longer feel as close to the natural world as we did in the quiet sailboat, we are happy to have the modern conveniences we had to forego before. I always considered sailing as a sport and trawlering as a lifestyle.
Each has its place and comparisons seem unproductive to me.

QUOTE At this point I would call it an even trade-off. In general we feel that sailors live closer to the water, weather and have easier interactions with local culture. Respect is due.

Everyone enjoys the same surrounding nature and culture, no matter what you have. And, as noted above, there is always a bigger and better boat around the corner.

We too sailed for 30 years before buying our trawler last year. You said it far more elequently than I.
Comparing sailing and trawlering is like comparing apples to oranges. While we no longer feel as close to the natural world as we did in the quiet sailboat, we are happy to have the modern conveniences we had to forego before. I always considered sailing as a sport and trawlering as a lifestyle.
Each has its place and comparisons seem unproductive to me.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you, you have to be a really good sport to endure the the sailing lifestyle. :rolleyes:

Ted

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom