Moving from sail to trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomfive

Vessel Name
Take Five
Vessel Make
CHB 34 North West Trawler
I'm in the process of selling my sailboat, then purchasing a trawler to go on a long NW cruise to Alaska. I've joined Trawler Forum to learn and share with others who have done this before. Just looking for a small 32 - 38 footer to make a 3000 mile journey.

Another sailor coming out of the darkness into the light! Welcome!
I usually warn new members not to ask about anchors or guns. I think I’ll add twin vs single engine to the list. You will start a thread that will go on forever and never arrive at a useful conclusion.

By the way, your anchor is too small, it’s the wrong kind and you don’t have enough chain.

Tom, there's probably 50 different boats which could possibly work for you. You may want to start a thread on the main forum and give a more detailed breakdown of your criteria. Main usage and budget being the first.

Oh, and welcome to the group. Haha

Changing boat types

Tomfive ---

Welcome aboard & glad to hear your moving over to what many sail boaters call the dark side.

As HopCar said, We call it -- "coming out of the darkness into the light!"

I live near you in Ventura county & maybe we can get together & discuss what your hoping to accomplish with your new direction in boating.

You definitely need to look at how your going to use the boat 90% of the time & what your end game dream is beyond the one 3,000 mile trip you mentioned about going up the west coast & then doing the trip from Seattle to South East Alaska.

We would love to hear the extent of your sailing trips experience as well.

Budget is important consideration --- of course purchase costs, but also operational costs & Fuel costs, etc. ?

BTW - HopCar is 100% right ! :eek: --- your anchor is too small, it’s the wrong kind and you don’t have enough chain.

Thanks

Alfa Mike :thumb:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom