New in Minnesota

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dbullendsl

Hello all,

This looks like a great forum - just what I've been looking for.

I've been giving a lot of serious thought to getting back into a boat for my wife and I and cruising off into what is left of our golden years. We're 72, still in good health. Long ago I bought a 30' express cruiser go-fast boat on impulse, stupid me - although we did have some fun it wasn't a good fit for my wife and family. We kept it on the upper Mississippi but eventually ended up on Lake Superior, where we discovered that it was only good on the big water if it were dead calm.

So fast forward to now - after a brutal winter in Minnesota we have finally decided to become snow birds and flee for the winter months. I've looked at hundreds of various boats on line and have narrowed down to something that has comfortable living space and reasonable cost. A trawler in the 40 - 45 foot range seems to fit the bill. I really like the classic lines of some of the older trunk cabin boats like Grand Banks but newer are out of my price range. I've seen (on line) a DeFever 48' Tri-Cabin and that seems perfect - but at about 28 years old and 5000 hrs on the engines not so sure. The newer Mainship 400 looks good too.

I'll be attending the AGLCA rendezvous in two weeks and have begun discussion with a broker that will represent me as a buyer. So we'll see where this goes.

Regards to you all.

Dave

Dave
Welcome aboard TF... it's a good group of folks.
Sounds like you are off to a good start... you can't look at too many boats or talk to too many owners.
Make sure to think (and write down) your planned style of boating, must, wants and don't wants. Also have your mate (or admiral as the case may be) do the same. Then compare & combine & compromise (it helps to do it her way?)
One place to start that might be helpful is http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14905
There are several MS 400 / 430 owners here if you need details. We love our 34HT for inland / great lakes cruising but many are using them coastal with positive reports.
So many choices & decisions.
Good luck w the search.

Last edited:
Welcome to Trawler Forum

The mainship 34 t years 2004 to 2008 has every thing except a second state room. It does however have a pull out couch bed in the salon. Price range $140,000 to $175,000. Yacht world has 20 on sale currently!

Welcome aboard.

Good to see you’re still chasing dreams at 72 :thumb:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom