View Single Post
Old 12-28-2007, 01:53 PM   #3
Marin
Scraping Paint

City: -
Warning for Nobeltec users.

This is one reason why I'm a big believer in dedicated plotter systems that run on a "computer" that only has one function--- to be a plotter. Furuno, Raymarine, etc. When you take one complex software application-- the chartplotter-- and depend on another even more complex software application to run it--- Windows, etc.--- there are just too many variables to my way of thinking to want to depend on it to keep our boat from running into something that isn't water.

Not that Furuno, Raymarine, C-Map, etc. are perfect, but I've never had to re-boot a dedicated plotter because some squirrely signal from a mouse, an incompatibility with a third-party tide program, or a corrupted word processor file locked up the system. Nor have I experienced chart features being displayed one moment and not the next. Throw in the current situation at Jeppesen and it's not too surprising the problem outlined above has occurred.

The sentence I love the most is this one:

"Missing and/or incorrectly displayed information may represent a hazard IF navigators are misusing affected products by relying solely on them for primary navigation, instead of placing primary reliance on up-to-date official government charts."

In other words, even though we, the manufacturer, have screwed up big-time due to our total corporate ineptness, it's your fault.

That's Jeppesen for you.......
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote