Stinkpots??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am of the opinion that anyone who runs a generator in an anchorage deserves that accolade. It is not a problem to set up an adequate battery bank to last for a simple overnight or longer. It is just money after all.

I can tell you live in Maine. No air conditioning needed.

While viable where you live, your opinion doesn't hold water in the tropics.

You can't hear my generator 100' from my boat on all but a still calm night. If you can hear my generator, you anchored too close to me.

Ted
I Agree !

In the day crew members were known to sleep in the engine room of large fish boats w a “scream’in Jimmy”. Everything is relative.
But basically engine noise is constant and shouldn’t interrupt sleep. But if you’re near an engine running when awake it can be annoying.
I don’t usually complain about generators. They are a given. I don’t like them but until there are acceptable alternatives ....

Dougcole wrote;
“While viable where you live, your opinion doesn't hold water in the tropics.”
And what did they do in the 30’s w/o generators?
Reminds me of Joe Linky in the mining camps in Alaska. He said “In the old days we had wooden dredges and iron men. Now we have steel dredges and wooden men.” Joe caught me lying down on a bench on the dredge resting on a break and told me
I’m on company time w pay and should “sit up like a man.” Joe was old school. I was 19.

Last edited:
A large boat is going to run a generator, there is no way around it. I usually switch to a smaller unit at night but sometimes even this is not possible.

In the day crew members were known to sleep in the engine room of large fish boats w a “scream’in Jimmy”. Everything is relative.
But basically engine noise is constant and shouldn’t interrupt sleep. But if you’re near an engine running when awake it can be annoying.
I don’t usually complain about generators. They are a given. I don’t like them but until there are acceptable alternatives ....

Dougcole wrote;
Reminds me of Joe Linky in the mining camps in Alaska. He said “In the old days we had wooden dredges and iron men. Now we have steel dredges and wooden men.” Joe caught me lying down on a bench on the dredge resting on a break and told me
I’m on company time w pay and should “sit up like a man.” Joe was old school. I was 19.

What possible relevance does what people did in the 1930’s have to 2019? Or is this one of those “kids today” answers about how the world went to hell at some point in the distant past, usually around the time the poster reached adulthood?

I guess that once you have damaged your hearing badly enough everything quiets down........

Last edited:
Quiet at night is a reasonable expectation in an anchorage. Many anchorages here are too small for everyone to fit into and do whatever they want. Loud music, shooting beer bottles over the side, and generators running all night are unreasonable violations of the reasons everyone is out there in the first place. A little courtesy goes a long ways, waking the anchorage as you come in to anchor while everyone else is dining is a good example.

If the only one you are worried about is yourself, that says a lot about you. When I hike, I want to see wild animals, it's part of why I am there. The couple who doesn't want to see any animals and makes a lot of noise scaring everything away on their walk is counter productive to my nature experience. We can't both have what we want, then again I never have understood going out into nature and then scaring it all away...

The commercial fishermen here usually shut things down at night, but once in a while you get the guy who leaves his stadium lights on the mast blasting all night and the generator running. I would just encourage people to try to not be overly sensitive, and to respect the experience others are trying to have out there.

If you are the first one in the anchorage, obviously your rights are different. If you are moving in after someone else is there, please be considerate!

I have not normally been bothered by people running generators at anchor, but I have several times had my night ruined by people running them in Marinas. Twice I have had the boat next to me running a generator all night and their exhaust vented nearly directly down my hatch.

The large OTR trucks have batt powered air cond , for their sleeper cabs, for a decade.

Problem is its only about 5,000 BTU so it does fine with a small cabin but can not do multiple cabins or the entire vessel.

Noisemakers can be very quiet , usually best if fitted with a lift muffler.

To me the trade off for a big complex boat is a non issue.

I am far to lazy to desire to spend my time repairing nice to have mountains of equipment..

Must have gear , no problem , but my list is very short, probably shorter than the folks on a 35ft rag boat.

Anchor windlass, auto pilot both hyd, propane range , propane reefer, manual toilet HW heater underway and Dickinson diesel range (I don't enjoy the cold.)

Pressure water to the sink and head/shower, cabin fans, reading lights.AM FM car radio & good speakers.

Aluminum Grumman sailing dink with Oars. Off the top of my head that's about it.

Being lazy allows me the time to enjoy boating , my hobby , not onboard marine repair .

At anchor I love the bright boats with varnished hulls , true eye candy .

Last edited:
I love the smell of diesel exhaust in the morning.

If you can hear my generator, you anchored too close to me.

Ted

I agree Ted!!!!

I am an all electric boat, therefore I run my genny.

I seek out bays with sailboats so that I can give them some pest control.

Now where is "Morning Star" the nemesis of ASD???:D:D:D

Dougcole wrote;

Yeah, OK.

I'm a multi generation Floridian, my mom didn't live in home with air conditioning until she was 35 years old. My family on my dad's mother's side has been in Florida since before the civil war, my grandmother is the only child ever born on Eggmont Key, she was 45 years old before she went into an air conditioned building. All of my relatives on both sides were quite happy to install AC in their homes as soon as they could afford it.

I lived for 2 years during college in a house in Tallahassee with no AC. I once dug a pair of dress shoes out of the back of my closet that I hadn't worn for 8 months...they were completely covered, inside and out, in an inch of green fur. We picked mushrooms off the walls of our bathroom.

I hate cold, like the heat and like humidity, but AC is one of the things that has advanced the human condition.

Didn't people live in Maine in the 1700s and 1800s with coal for heat? Or wood fireplaces? What about them in the winter? Want to go back to that?

Don’t understand why guys w big boats think they need all that stuff. They could get a big icebox and a bigger battery bank.
The simple answer is: Because we have all that "stuff" on the boat and we enjoy the comforts.

I'd venture a guess that your car has many creature comforts and you use them. That your boat doesn't have them is nobody's issue but your own.

I spent some big bucks when I bought my boat to have an exhaust water separator installed on the generator exhaust. From 10' away from my boat you can't hear my generator running. No exhaust noise, no water burbling sounds, just a nice quiet hum that can be heard from the swim platform, but just barely.

Hi Mike,
I usually open all the windows before I turn on the ac on my cars.
Only when it gets sort’of unbearable do I turn on the ac.

As you say ...
“We use it because we have it”
I thought about that while eating breakfast. I have an inverter (came w the boat) and I’ve never used it. I think it’s still there. As for electric cooking on a boat in the PNW why not switch to gas? Some people think like in the 50’s “All the comforts of home”. But at whose expense I ask? We would do fine w a Willard the size of your boat w all the “things” we have on Willy. I’m actually asking the question “why not”? If boaters didn’t cook w electricity (in the NW) we wouldn’t hear any generators ... well very few. The food would still get cooked ect.
Only reason we fly around in big planes at 500mph is as you say “because we can” we do as others do because they do ... and we can. But we don’t need to.

Willy, still doesn't answer the AC issue in the SE and islands summers

Willy, still doesn't answer the AC issue in the SE and islands summers

Join a flock of Snowbirds from Canada, if they'll have you :D

Newfoundland, Labrador and Greenland during the summer, then Florida etc. during the winter. Can't get much more hairy-chested than that.

Last edited:

Attachments

• fog.jpg
    fog.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 80
Hi Mike,
I usually open all the windows before I turn on the ac on my cars.
Only when it gets sort’of unbearable do I turn on the ac.

As you say ...
“We use it because we have it”
I thought about that while eating breakfast. I have an inverter (came w the boat) and I’ve never used it. I think it’s still there. As for electric cooking on a boat in the PNW why not switch to gas? Some people think like in the 50’s “All the comforts of home”. But at whose expense I ask? We would do fine w a Willard the size of your boat w all the “things” we have on Willy. I’m actually asking the question “why not”? If boaters didn’t cook w electricity (in the NW) we wouldn’t hear any generators ... well very few. The food would still get cooked ect.
Only reason we fly around in big planes at 500mph is as you say “because we can” we do as others do because they do ... and we can. But we don’t need to.

Yes I do use all my boats electric stuff, but so what. I like starting my genny to watch some TV, have cold drinks, heating, cooling and so on. I choose to do so.:socool:

At whose expense? So who is "whose?":confused:

I see our boat as a means to get somewhere, and once there, I leave the boat to do stuff. A mobile basecamp. Most comforts of home stay at home.

ASD,
The answers to all you said above is obvious.
Not really that big a thing but I’ll hope we choose different anchorages.

Do you know what guys, why would you want to go boating and hang on an anchor running a genny all night ?
What's wrong with you guys aren't you brothers of the sea and NOT sociable ?
Get the boat secured, go to the nearest bar, blow a bit of breeze, crack a few jokes, who's got a Mandolin. Giuitar, Banjo, who's a good singer ?
For gawd/s sake your friggen hard going.
Lighten up and enjoy life, you only pass this way once !

Good story. Was on a remote dock at Isle Royale in Lake Superior with a sailboat tied up behind me. We were there for several cold rainy days and nights. The first day we were commenting on how cold and raw is was while enjoying a glass of wine on their boat. I felt bad that later I was going to fire up the generator and turn on the reverse cycle AC units to heat my boat. Asked them if they had any heat, to which they responded reverse cycle AC, but only at the dock, as no generator. With a smile on my face, I told them I could hook them up. Have a 30 amp shore power plug for generatorless friends when we raft up. Needless to say, the wife was ecstatic, and promptly announced she was going to feed me for the duration of the storm. Each morning I would get up at 6am, fire up the generator, which would bring on the heat in their boat (before they got out of bed).

Point of the story is that not all the complaints are with regard to noise and smell, but maybe haves and have nots.

Ted

Last edited:
You don't have to have A/C on a boat, even in the South! :blush:

I spent a lot of time on a sailboat on Galveston Bay (and points south) without either an A/C or a genny. Key was lot of cross ventilation with fans helping and very light clothing. If it got too hot, could always be in cockpit under the bimini.

That said, these days, I would much rather have A/C and a genny on the warm Summer days! :D

Jim

The simple answer is: Because we have all that "stuff" on the boat and we enjoy the comforts.

I'd venture a guess that your car has many creature comforts and you use them. That your boat doesn't have them is nobody's issue but your own.

I spent some big bucks when I bought my boat to have an exhaust water separator installed on the generator exhaust. From 10' away from my boat you can't hear my generator running. No exhaust noise, no water burbling sounds, just a nice quiet hum that can be heard from the swim platform, but just barely.
Not many anchor out next to others in their cars.

When I am on the West Coast I rarely need to run my generator more than 4 hours a day, if at all. The water is cold and the nights are cool. When i’m in the SE the generator runs 24 hrs a day. The water is hot and the nights are muggy.

In the PNW it’s not reasonable to run a generator after 10 pm and in the SE it’s not reasonable to expect boats to turn off their generator at night.

When I am on the West Coast I rarely need to run my generator more than 4 hours a day, if at all. The water is cold and the nights are cool. When i’m in the SE the generator runs 24 hrs a day. The water is hot and the nights are muggy.

In the PNW it’s not reasonable to run a generator after 10 pm and in the SE it’s not reasonable to expect boats to turn off their generator at night.

Word.

I can tell you live in Maine. No air conditioning needed.

While viable where you live, your opinion doesn't hold water in the tropics.

Yes no A/C needed and I wouldn't live or boat any where where it got that hot. You will never see me in the south. And yes I have lived in the south and it was miserable.

As I said, with modern batteries you can install a large enough battery bank to run your A/C all night. It just costs money and if a few tens of thousands matters to you you are in the wrong hobby.

Yes no A/C needed and I wouldn't live or boat any where where it got that hot. You will never see me in the south. And yes I have lived in the south and it was miserable.

As I said, with modern batteries you can install a large enough battery bank to run your A/C all night. It just costs money and if a few tens of thousands matters to you you are in the wrong hobby.

And just how many batteries would that take, for say two 12,000 btu units, and where would you put these batteries?

Basically good and reasonable IMO.
Like animals. They stop eating when the’ve had enough. Not people.
At least some people. Got the ac? Crank it up.

Back
Top Bottom