Poor dry performance on splendide 2000

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arthurc

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea Bear
Vessel Make
Kadey-Krogen 54
My combo washer dryer (Splendide 2000) is literally taking forever to dry one large towel, already ran for 120 min last night and less than half dry (it is getting warm/hot). I can’t see a lint trap or anything to clear. Any thoughts?
Thanks

Is it a vented dryer?? Our's is vented, and we have a few towels that are very thick - takes a long while to dry those. Almost everything else drys fairly well with the vented dryer.

My combo washer dryer (Splendide 2000) is literally taking forever to dry one large towel, already ran for 120 min last night and less than half dry (it is getting warm/hot). I can’t see a lint trap or anything to clear. Any thoughts?
Thanks

Where does it vent to?

It is, it vents on its back in the upper left, to the outside. I can feel some air/heat coming out of it but not what I would expect.

My combo washer dryer (Splendide 2000) is literally taking forever to dry.........
I had one of those on my 54' Sport Fisher, years ago, & it was the most useless thing on the boat!:hide:

I have a. 20’ vent line in my boat. Once a year I clean vent line of accumulated lint. It’s surprising how much of a difference it can make.

What did you use to clean it?

It is, it vents on its back in the upper left, to the outside. I can feel some air/heat coming out of it but not what I would expect.

I think you are going to have to get that hose off and blow it clear.

Try unhooking the vent hose on the back of the unit and do a load with it off to see if the hose is your problem. Ours works well if you load it properly.

A vented Splendide doesn't even dry well when it has no vent hose at all. These just have very modest drying capability. It is the nature of the design.

Didn’t Bruce Baird post about having to get into the guts and clean out some condenser on the back and it worked after that.? If I recall, he did his PM on his a bit ago and posted it on that page he has over on Facebook

Are you sure it is drying?
It may be obvious, but wasn't to me.
If the load is off balance, as one towel would likely be, the Spendide keeps making noise like it is drying, but the selector valve jumps to a strange place, which is its indication of an out of balance spin.

There is no lint trap. Clean the vent hose. If you can, remove it and rinse it out. A minimal accumulation can have a significant impact on drying. If the hose is the cheap mylar hose, or has any deformities, squashed, or has really sharp bends, anything you do to reduce the resistance to air flow in that vent will improve the drying. McMaster has a blue PVC vent hose that is good quality, not cheap, but it is crush resistant and smoother inside than "dryer vent hose". Check at the machine's vent connection if you can get access, there could be a lot of accumulation of lint. I use a 4" hose brush on a flexible spring cable, looks like a chimney sweep brush. Very effective.

If it's a 110 volt unit like ours it is not going to dry well. There's a reason home dryers are 220. We have a clothesline in our flybridge.

Finally dried, perhaps this is normal as I don’t usually do the laundry. Will take apart and replace the vent hose next time I have a project weekend.

If it's a 110 volt unit like ours it is not going to dry well. There's a reason home dryers are 220. We have a clothesline in our flybridge.

:thumb: That has been our experience after living with a Spendide for 11 plus years. We like the washing part. The only time we use the drier is after we shower and it’s raining out. We throw our two towels in the drier for 20 minutes and they are dry. No wolfe, wet smells. :)

Vent hose length and how may bends seems to make a big difference. When redoing some plumbing behind the unit, I shortened up the length (very little sag) and reduced the bends to 2 sweep 90s. Seems to have made a noticeable difference. I don't think the fan is anywhere near as strong as a normal home dryer, and it is the air flow after all that carries the moisture from your clothes away. Strongly advise cleaning the vent hose annually if you use it a lot.

As a reference point, it takes about 2.5 hours per load as long as I don't overload the machine.

Ted

Splendid

Our Splendid vented combo unit has a slide up and out lint trap on the rear upper left corner. If it is not clean it does take a long time to dry. Clean and much improved drying time.

Our vented Splendide unit works fine- we keep the vent line clear, and clear the junk tray every 6 months or so.

Yes, ours does also. I think people that are not happy with the way it dries probably have unreasonable expectations. The dryer drum in a household dryer is almost twice as big as the washer drum. In a combination unit that isn’t the case. The drum is the same size so you can’t overload it since it will curtail air circulation. Also as mentioned before it is a 120 volt unit instead of 220 so of course it can’t dry as efficiently. If you accept these constraints then they actually work quite well. We don’t have one in our current boat but we do have one in our RV. It is worth it to us not to have to lug the laundry up to the marina machines.

Our experience has been much the same, did great job washing but not great on the drying cycle. We simply got into the habit of line drying any towels or heavy clothing. Keeping the lint trap clean is important. When we were cruising and often had laundry drying over the rails at an anchorage we used to joke about being called "Trawler Trash". Splendide does make a 220 volt version for the European market but it's 50 cycle and won't work properly here in North American on the 60 cycle power grid.

Last edited:
We don’t have one in our current boat but we do have one in our RV. It is worth it to us not to have to lug the laundry up to the marina machines.

Do you drive the RV down the dock to the boat to do laundry?

AC

As I recall, your vessel has several interesting space possibilities for the install of a stacked or separate washer and dryer. How old is your current combo setup?

Ours is vented with a lint trap but is slow to dry. I wonder if a small booster fan after the lint trap might help?

AC

As I recall, your vessel has several interesting space possibilities for the install of a stacked or separate washer and dryer. How old is your current combo setup?

I think I’ve used all that space up :)
Too many tools and spares and of course toys (not big kid toys, actual LEGO)

Will try cleaning the hose and see if there is a trap, if no luck I’ll get a new one.

Do you drive the RV down the dock to the boat to do laundry?

I sai d in our current boat we don’t have one. Had one in a previous boat and it was nice not to have to carry clothes to the marina. We do have one in our current RV.

Try running through the spin a couple of times after the wash and spin cycle is finished. May not work well with single towel because of balance.

Hang the towel on a rail in the sun. It will be dry in two hours.

The key is, dont overload it. 2 bath towels, one hand towel.... dry for 2 hours, shake out the towels, hang them for a few minutes. Dry enough to hang on the towel racks to use again
Couple pair of short, 3 or 4 shirt, dry for 2 hours, hang them up for 30 mins, fold and put away.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom