National Flag Pole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
So, sitting out in the cockpit this afternoon enjoying a cold ginger ale when a Canadian flagged sailboat came through the anchorage.

When I saw their flagpole I just had to run into the salon and grab my camera - which is always to hand and charged up!

Awesome flag pole!

Neat boat name as well!

Attachments

• DSC_5893.JPG
    DSC_5893.JPG
    162.1 KB · Views: 282
Love it, a true Canadian!:thumb:

Great shot, great pole...thanks!

What the heck is that, asked The Floridian?

Flagpole is a hockey stick.

Wifey B: Thanks HopCar, as I just didn't catch it all. :confused:

National sport of Canada (or is it curling?)

Probably best use of an ice hockey stick out here!!

Actually, lacrosse is the national summer sport, ice hockey the national winter sport!

Go figger!

Greetings,
Mr. m. Go figger indeed! I never knew that. Thanks.
I have a nephew who plays/played both. Seems he got hurt more playing lacrosse than hockey. An ACL injury ended his career.

RTF
It seems both are correct... if one can believe Wiki...

"Canada presently has two*de jure*national sports,*ice hockey, and*lacrosse. In 1994,*First Nations*groups objected to a government bill that proposed establishing ice hockey as Canada's national sport, arguing that it neglected recognition of the game of lacrosse, a uniquely Indigenous contribution. In response, the*House of Commons*amended a bill "to recognize hockey as Canada's Winter Sport and lacrosse as Canada's Summer Sport". On May 12, 1994, the*National Sports of Canada Act*came into force with these designations.[9]*Although the legislation included seasonal designations, both sports can be played in different seasons. Lacrosse can be played all year, in all seasons, indoor and outdoors. During colder seasons ice hockey may be played indoor and outdoors, although in warmer seasons, its play requires the use of*artificial ice, typically found at an indoor*ice rink."

Interesting... you can argue / debate the "Toughest" sport.
Here's one quantitative analysis and I'll bet the conclusions will surprise everyone!!!

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/832927-what-is-the-worlds-toughest-sport#slide0

Last edited:
Well most if these I can see, but number 1?

I can see the stamina side of it - but the physicality?

In any case... I applaud the boaters imagination and creativity... eh!

Wifey B: Hockey stick. I'm sorry. I thought Canada gave up the sport after 93 when the Canadiens won. . :hide:

Since then I see NY, NJ, Colorado, Detroit, Dallas, Tampa Bay, Carolina, Anaheim, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Boston, Los Angeles, and Washington. Shouldn't a hockey stick fly an US flag now? :rolleyes:

I think it's sad that economics have led to US domination of what is by all right truly a sport of Canada.

I know nothing about Lacrosse beyond the fact a privileged few play at Duke or something. :eek:

Thanks for pointing out the hockey stick though. Sort of cool flagpole.:D

You might be watching American teams, but your not necessarily watching Americans. Nearly 50% of the NHL are Canadian players.

You might be watching American teams, but your not necessarily watching Americans. Nearly 50% of the NHL are Canadian players.

Wifey B: I was surprised the Panthers have 4 US Players. 14 Canadian. But I find it sad that the swing has been to US teams, just because of the economics. :(

Some folks wonder why so many sail boats power so much.

Any line in the breeze has about the same aero drag as a 1 inch diameter pipe.

Doesn't look like "eating her way to windward" happens often on this cruiser.

Not bad , not good , just observing.

I had no idea what the deal was. Spent several minutes looking at the picture, no clue. We have a Hockey team here, but no one cares....including me.......this is Football country. We cling to our Bibles, our Guns and our Football

Here in Peterborough, Ontario, our Memorial Centre hosts the Peterborough Petes hockey team every winter which feeds the Toronto Leafs.

Summer sees lacrosse being played by a provincial (I think) team. Arena holds 4400 people approx and most games winter and summer are well attended.

Population of city is 80,000.

I'm so doing the hockey stick flagpole when I get my boat!

Last edited:
When in Canadian waters this season I'd like to fly a TF burgee on bow staff, USPS Ensign at Stern... wondering where I could / should affix a hockey stick w a Canadian Courtesy Flag????
Any ideas?

...wondering where I could / should affix a hockey stick w a Canadian Courtesy Flag????
Any ideas?

I'd be careful asking such a question around here! :)

I think it depends which position you play!

She shoots. She SCORES!!!

200w.webp

Hat trick to Firefly!

Love you found a clip with Tim Hortons ad in it.

Ohhhh.... are there Timmys along the Loop once you are in the US? That question may need its own thread.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom