Westerbeke 3 cylinder generator repair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sure don’t think it ever leaked until I energized the synoid.

I found o rings that matched and changed them. Never leaked out of the top.

Even loose, the delivery valve orings form a seal at the top. Issue is barrel seats on body of pump, think that one is just metal to metal seal. If DVH is loose, so will be the barrel and it will leak at the bottom.

The second I tighten them down diesel don’t come out of any where.

You still have to bleed out of the injection lines why you try and start it?

I’ve got it all back together and now I need to go get the oil.

It’s blowing little smoke rings out of the intake.

I don’t have and intake filter. The one off the motor is to big. Are should we say plastic box.

Foam motorcycle air filter
EBay less than $5

Last edited:
It was blowing smoke rings out the intake. Why would it not be sucking in?

Did you time the camshaft right?

Put your hand over the intake and roll the starter, it should suck strong. If it blows out, cam is timed wrong.

I didn’t rebuild it so didn’t time it. Sure wish you lived around here and could make a boat call. I check to make sure it’s sucking in. Have to work tomorrow but will try and get over there and try it again. Been reading and thinking I should have preheated too. My switches are not like the ones in the manual but just trying to figure it out. You have helped so much that I think I’ll figure out something. I keep thinking it’s something simple but maybe not.

Haven’t messed with it lately and taking it to Fort Myers today but will stop in cabbage key or pelican tonight. Going to a slip at Marinatown for a month or so.

Sure wish I had it fixed and not using my Honda.

Yes I will. Good to have people that own one on here but mines old I think.

Not sure if anyone cares but got the injection pump rebuilt. Reason was seemed to be hitting on only one cylinder and think by taking lines apart only one line was working, Running now and running really good. Now there's this hot wire or should we say red wire that comes out of the generator part and was wondering if this is and exciter wire and need to be hooked up to 12 volt positive. Sure wish they had a good manual to this thing.:banghead:

Thank you Mike and Ski for helping me to get it done. Thank You!!!:D

Take back cover off and see where wire goes. Post a pic. If thing is working, don't do anything with that wire until it's purpose is understood.

Glad you got it going.

OK. Was thinking of just touching it to positive. It's putting just a little ac out, I'll Take it apart again. I'm just so glad and feeling great that I finally got it running. Sure pumping out a lot of water. Maybe running to fast?

I let it run until it warmed up good and started it a few times just to see how easy it starts and seems to be running faster so reading my manuel again.

when my westerbeke didn't start, it turned out to be the relay to the fuel pump. can you hear it clicking ? this would explain no fuel

But it is starting and purring like a kitten.

DON'T arbitrarily touch that wire to anything just to see what happens!! :eek: Bad juju!!

Tape it off and get some pics or find a manual. I downloaded a bunch of W-beke manuals online, just hunt around, they're out there.

Well I have looked and talked to lots. There’s nothing on the generator part anywhere. I’ve actually done lots of research on this generator just trying to get it started. Had a feeling that the Injecton pump was the issue right at the start but looked on line and eBay to find a replacement but saw that mine looked brand new compared to the others and they wanted 450-580 for there’s and ended up paying 580 for mine but some of it was shipping. Well luckily it worked and hopefully just hook up the red wire and run my AC. I’ve waited this long thinking I can wait a bit more.

Check the relay that drives the fuel pump. This $1 item kept mine from starting.

Don't know why anyone can actually read the posts. The generators running!! Just not putting out AC. Some AC just not a lot. Ill post pictures today since I'm lucky enough to have my boat in my backyard.

Don't know why anyone can actually read the posts. The generators running!! Just not putting out AC. Some AC just not a lot. Ill post pictures today since I'm lucky enough to have my boat in my backyard.

IMG_0634.jpg
Here is where the wire attaches to the back of the generator

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom