View Single Post
Old 04-18-2019, 03:23 PM   #8
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Thanks for all the kind comments about letting Alex drive the boat. As to keeping on the good side of the marina crew, when I go in there I usually take a dozen donuts to keep 'em smiling.

The owner of Columbia Marine Center, Jim Toroni, has become more of a friend than just a guy I know who fixes boats. He and I have had many, many conversations that go beyond the bounds of boats and what's wrong with them. He and his wife have been guests of ours on the boat and he's done a few favors for me over the years.

An example, last winter when we were in AZ he called me and said he was headed down to the boat to install my deicer pump. He called a couple of hours later and said it kept tripping breakers so we discussed some possible solutions. He ended up hooking the deicer to the power pedestal next slip over and things were good. (He works on that boat and knows that it was unplugged for the winter.)

When I got back from AZ I went in to settle up with him. He wouldn't take any money for the 4 or so hours he and one of his workers spent down on the boat in sub-freezing weather. Coincidentally, a gift card for $100 at one of the nicest restaurants in town showed up at his office mail. He asked me about it but I denied any knowledge of it's origins.

ASD, I went with Westerbeke because that's what was in there before. Jim and I discussed the "rebuild vs new" on the old generator and he figured there wouldn't be a significant amount of difference cost-wise, plus with the new one everything would be new, not just the motor portion of the genset. His logic sold me on going all new.

As to the cost of the new one....just a whisker short of 20 boat bucks. I have some pics so when I have a few minutes I'll start a new thread.