Spirit of The West, Get-go Restoration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have been searching all over for ideas of Trawler engine prices and types but to no succes. Does anyone have any website hints? I also would not mine sourceing one second hand/used. I dont mind working on stuff so...

Oh, and much thanks Willy, for the reply bro. Need all the encoragement I can get. I am over the top with joy about this, but I am not presumptuous or superficail in my approach.

Attachments

• girl_christina1.jpg
    girl_christina1.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 63
  • boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 72
A running takeout from a boat that is installing a newer engine would be fine, and very low cost

Since you will never operate 24/7 almost 365 ,just go from place to place , a couple of hundred hours a year , a reliable , but worn out or outdated engine would be just fine.

Far easier to dump in an extra gallon an hour of lube oil , than pay for new and modern efficiency.

What was the "old" engine , what is the boats displacement?

Bryan,
The only engines you should be looking at for that beautiful beast is a Gardner, 6LW or a 6LX these would be more than adequate even a 5LW would do the job.
Track down Joe Mc Cool a Gardner rebuilder in Ireland.
Google search Gardner Engines and you should be able to find him.

There are also some other fine British engines that would be suitable such as Kelvin, Dorman etc.
These nice slow reving heavy engines, overhauled will last a lifetime.

Nice job you have ahead of yourself

http://www.enginetradex.co.uk/all-diesel-engine.htm

try there...

limiting yourself to one kind of engine would be foolish.* there are many good industrial engines that would work fine.* Many 75-100 foot commercial fishing vessels around my parts use a NA Caterpillar 3208 which can be had rebuilt or running take out for a song compared to most..biggest challenge would be a tranny for your vessel and a suitable prop.* have to start at one end of the drive train or the other.

Good luck as it can be overwhelming.

Back
Top Bottom