I am clueless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ruthless

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Doctail
Vessel Make
Fu Hwa 42
Ok, so new boat, 2 weekends aboard trying to figure it out, still haven't left the dock, as the Kitchen Captain, I have to aks, is it possible that this electric stove has a switch which allows you to choose "stove" or "Oven" but not both? Am I missing something?

That's a kind of "how long is a piece of string" question :) Not knowing the type of stove you have, how the boat is wired, what the stove controls are like, etc. make it a pretty impossible question to answer. If the operator's manual for the stove is on board that's probably the place to start. If the boat's operator's manual has an electrical schematic that's another place to start. There are so many makes of stove/oven ranges used on boats, and the ways a boat can be wired are pretty much infinite, that there is no set answer.

It's certainly possible that the boat is wired in such a way that the stove top and the oven both have their own breakers. And it's possible that the stove itself has an "either or" switch although that would seem unlikely as it would elminate the option of using the oven and a burner at the same time.

It would seem at this point with little documentation that this might be the case.* Oh well, we can always make reservations...

There's a toggle switch on the face of our electric range that disconnects 2 of the 3 burners and enables the oven. We're only a 110V boat - we can have the oven and one burner or 3 burners on at one time. So yes, I'd say its pretty likely that you have something similar. Its not hard to take the face off the oven to see how the toggle switches are wired if you are so inclined. Or take a picture and post it here - you'll get lots of advice then and some of it may even be useful.

So, why haven't you left the dock yet?

Attachments

• coot in berth.jpg
    coot in berth.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 64
Ruthless wrote:
It would seem at this point with little documentation that this might be the case.* Oh well, we can always make reservations...
The question is "What brand of stove" do you have?*

If it is a Princess stove, then there is a toggle switch on the front that allows you to select top burners or oven.* If it is in the oven position, then*one or two of the top*burners won't work.* In the top burner position all the burners work, but the oven will not.* This is because this is a 115 volt system and running all the burners and oven at the same time would probably exceed and pop the 20 amp breaker.

LB**

bobofthenorth wrote:
There's a toggle switch on the face of our electric range that disconnects 2 of the 3 burners and enables the oven. We're only a 110V boat - we can have the oven and one burner or 3 burners on at one time. So yes, I'd say its pretty likely that you have something similar. Its not hard to take the face off the oven to see how the toggle switches are wired if you are so inclined. Or take a picture and post it here - you'll get lots of advice then and some of it may even be useful.
*OK, i'll look at it, I assumed it was all or nothing... maybe one will work with the oven, which is better than nothing.

On a princess the top cover must be in the up & locked use position for the stove to operate.

Even with the now antique 120V 50A power hose , only top or oven can be done.

You might rewire and defeat the concept , but it might overtax your noisemaker .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom