Ca dmv

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bligh

Guru
Vessel Name
Concerto
Vessel Make
1980 Cheoy Lee
If a boat is brought into CA (California) by water and is too big to trailer to a DMV. How does one go about getting the HIN verified to register it?

That would be a fairly easy question for the party requiring verification, wouldn't it?

If titled I suspect they would just do a title transfer and reference that HID.. But as previous poster indicated I would just try to contact the dmv.

If a boat is brought into CA (California) by water and is too big to trailer to a DMV. How does one go about getting the HIN verified to register it?

In California the Highway Patrol verifies registration and VIN numbers and the DMV processes the documents the CHP produces. I titled a homemade car there and that was the procedure: first you got all the inspections and then the DMV used that paperwork to issue a title and plates.

Call the CHP and make an appointment, they usually spend their time verifying fix-it-tickets at the station so it may take a while for them to come to you.

Last edited:
I have reregistered 2 boats in CA and was not asked for verification either time.

That would be a fairly easy question for the party requiring verification, wouldn't it?

Did you see the party we re dealing with is the California DMV?

Yes, I did. :)

Well you were right,. But i still had to pass 42 minutes on hold before I was able to speak with the DMV. Apparently i can hire a VIN verifier to go on site to do it. Also, as WH says, CHP may also do it as well, but i'm not sure if they will go 'onsite'

-Scott

Scott,

I recently bought a new dink at Costco and needed to register it to use it with my outboard. I mailed the form from home with the HIN and no verification was needed. I now have a titled and registered vessel from the CA DMV.

Sure hope this is not for a blowboat! :hide:

Scott,

I recently bought a new dink at Costco and needed to register it to use it with my outboard. I mailed the form from home with the HIN and no verification was needed. I now have a titled and registered vessel from the CA DMV.

Sure hope this is not for a blowboat! :hide:
Ha. It is for a blowboat. But my trawler is still #1.

Found in today’s local paper.

Attachments

• D4C49DB1-9031-4074-8A33-BD3B6316E297.jpg
    D4C49DB1-9031-4074-8A33-BD3B6316E297.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 60
Back
Top Bottom