What is the best type of inside curtain- cloth or wooden slats?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PKPet

I have seen different types of curtains used to cover the inside of salon windows. Cloth with different tracking systems. Some builders offer wooden slats set in side tracks which limit lateral sway when underway. They look nice but when underway even with the edges confined to the side channels are they still noisy? Thanks for your expertise.

I have seen different types of curtains used to cover the inside of salon windows. Cloth with different tracking systems. Some builders offer wooden slats set in side tracks which limit lateral sway when underway. They look nice but when underway even with the edges confined to the side channels are they still noisy? Thanks for your expertise.

I have wood slats now and hate them. If you're in a rocky anchorage or underway the clatter noise will drive you nuts. Even when they are fully retracted, lumpy conditions still make them clatter. Haven't determined the replacement yet, but leaning toward cloth ones that roll up with a velcro closure. Saw that style on a Pilgrim and really liked them. Another advantage was they were machine washable.

Ted

We had double cellular blinds in a previous boat, good for heat exclusion but not easy to put up and down for the view. We now have aluminum mini blinds. They came with clips to hold the bottoms in place, easy to open and close for view and privacy. You can tighten them so they don’t rattle very much if at all. So far the mini blinds are our favorite.

Some folks use snap on window covering.

IF these can be created to snap on either inside or outside they work very well.

Outside they absorb the suns rays , keeping the cabin cooler, some can be see thru from the inside.

Inside , usually dockside at night , they give privacy as desired, but not if see thru and the cabin is well lit.

Last edited:
The mini-blinds that came with the boat were maddening. After experimenting with interior fabric roll ups and looking at other covering approaches, went with exterior snap on and find it works perfectly for us.

I have wood blinds and they can be noisy. We run with them raised and only lower as needed at night for privacy when docked and usually only that side.
I had a motorhome w a pleated curtain on roller/ slide track that worked well. Slide back & secure w a strap / snap. The advantage I have thought about on our boat is with our sliding windows I could close shade as much as the solid window and leave it open to match the window opening. Plus they are silent.

We chose to go with cellular blinds. So far we have been happy with them after a year.

For boating in some climates "Warm Shades" which are insulated and seal the window might be worth the effort.

Glass is not an insulation , so warm or cold adding insulation can add to comfort , as well as privacy.

Last edited:
I just installed cellular blinds in our Camano, to replace the curtains that were original. They seem to be a good choice so far. They make things look a bit bigger since there isn't all that gathered up material hanging around. I just measured and ordered them and installed. Cost for our boat was around $400. total. Took about an afternoon, but then again, I'm not outfitting the QE2.

Our boat came with aluminum mini-blinds, with hold-down clips at the bottoms and set far enough out from the glass so boat sway doesn't cause noise. We don't raise or lower the blinds.

They work fine for us, since I prefer to be able to "see out" most of the time and I can usually set the angle of the vanes to reduce direct sunlight and glare... and still see through all that.

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom