View Single Post
Old 04-12-2019, 06:45 AM   #8
twistedtree
Guru

City: Vermont
I think it all depends on the situation, and calls for judgement. If you are in an active waterway, dodging lobster/crab buoys or debris, then put down the phone, stop carrying on conversations, and pay attention. If you are in open water with nothing around, then reading TF, texting, email I think is fine as long as you are looking up with some frequency. Heck I have even stepped down to make a sandwich or throw something in the microwave. But I do return to the helm while whatever is heating up, then go back to get it when done.

Here's one thing to consider. I have been on multiple night runs where it is pitch black out. You can't see anything. And I mean nothing. There could be a brick wall in front of you and you wouldn't know until you hit it. In that situation you are operating solely on radar, and faith that the ocean is reasonable clear of debris. It's a calculated risk. I think this helps put a pee break, or use of a phone in perspective when there isn't traffic or other active maneuvering required.

What I very much object to is taking a nap while at the helm. That's not stepping away, or looking away for 1-2 minutes. A lot can happen during a nap. This in turn rules out single handed operation longer than one can reasonably stay alert. I think all these single handed races and other distance feats should be scorned, not celebrated.