Lehman 225 engine mounted fuel filter replacement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why 3 large gaskets that are the same size? I only see two. One in the top of the housing and the other in the bottom. I do see where the two small ones go.

Attachments

• DE05046F-5ABA-4BDF-805C-47ED8FAF7F21.jpg
    DE05046F-5ABA-4BDF-805C-47ED8FAF7F21.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 34
Greetings,
Mr. S. FROM MEMORY (and that sucks!) There is one gasket (smaller, I think) at the top of the filter nestled in the fixed housing on the engine and the larger of the two (I think) goes into the base/removable part of the housing.
IF you have the proper gaskets in the proper places they will fit quite easily. IF you have to fiddle, wiggle, stretch and push the gasket into the recess, it's probably the wrong one. (Sorry for the technical language).
O-ring goes on bolt holding the bottom to the top.

All 3 gaskets are identical. I wonder if the filter and gaskets are for multiple applications that require 3 large gaskets.

So I bled the starboard engine as you guys said she she fired right up. Runs great. And that was the engine that quit on our last trip, so the filters were clogged.

Still working on the port engine. I changed the razor and it’s full. I have the electric priming pump on and if I crack the bleeder screws on the filter housing, fuel comes out with no air. Still no start though.

I’ll crack the return line

Ah ha!!! Brian at American diesel said to pull the return line check valve. Sure as **** a puff of air came out when I did that. It’s clogged. Now I gotta find someone with an air compressor.

Attachments

• A20151A4-F98F-4DFA-ABE3-A73E056726E3.jpg
    A20151A4-F98F-4DFA-ABE3-A73E056726E3.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 42
Great success!!!! The check valve was gunked up!!!! I local shop blew it out for me. Put the cleaned valve in and she fired right up!!!

Thank you guys so much for the help. So glad I didn’t pay someone to do this. Now I know what to do if this happen to me again.

Attachments

• E3AFE801-6423-4EF4-9097-73B438DED231.jpg
    E3AFE801-6423-4EF4-9097-73B438DED231.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 35
i always save old plastic dishpan containers,big/small, for draining things...for oil/fuel filters, i put a drain pan under them, and poke an icepick in the bottom...sometimes more than one hole...let them drian, maybe overnite...clyde

There is a hidden pearl of wisdom in Mssr. RTF's instructions that should be pointed out so when I do this in a few months and come back in here for his instructions, I will be reminded ....close the seacock before trying to start the engine. Prevents water filling up the muffler and hydrolock of engine when I can't get it started right away.

If I remember correctly, the 3rd gasket provided is a spare put in for me when I foul up the first one. :)

Boy you guys love to make things hard for yourselves.

Buy the modification from sales@asapsupplies.co.uk that disposes of the sandwich type filter and use 'spin on' filters instead, be sure to buy the one with the built in hand primer.
When you change filters you simply take all precautions as RT firefly pointed out regarding cleanliness, then simply remove the old filters, fill the new filters with diesel, screw them up HAND TIGHT ONLY, start the motor on idle/tick over while pumping the primer button.
Always change fuel filters with a warm engine, with practice you never need to bleed the system.
Job done, no stress.

Boy you guys love to make things hard for yourselves.

Buy the modification from sales@asapsupplies.co.uk that disposes of the sandwich type filter and use 'spin on' filters instead, be sure to buy the one with the built in hand primer.
When you change filters you simply take all precautions as RT firefly pointed out regarding cleanliness, then simply remove the old filters, fill the new filters with diesel, screw them up HAND TIGHT ONLY, start the motor on idle/tick over while pumping the primer button.
Always change fuel filters with a warm engine, with practice you never need to bleed the system.
Job done, no stress.

I figured there must be a mod to allow spin on filters.

I will say that changing the filters was messy but not hard at all. Even the starboard engine was fine, just a little tight. Once I figured out that my return line check valve was clogged and fixed it, the engines lit right off.

Back
Top Bottom