Waxing alternative?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bulldog59

Anyone familiar with Topcoat (F11) or a gelcoat sealer by Feldten Marine? I have a 2005 Mainship Pilot with Awlcraft painted dark green hull and off white topside. Looking to better maintain the gloss with less effort. According to claims, these products utilize nano technology(?) which bonds with its prior layer to give more UV protection with less effort each time it's applied - suggested yearly. One product is a spray and the gelcoat sealer a liquid. Sounds good but would be helpful to see if anyone has been down this road before? Thanks in advance.

Frank
INDEPENDENCE

Frank
Welcome aboard TF
I'm not familiar with those products.
I used to use and like Collinite waxes but have switched to polymers for cars, boat & RVs.
I have done a head to head comparison of NuFinish and other higher end polymer but couldn't find any noticable difference in gloss, beading, orvdurabilitu after 6-9 mos.
I have used Awlcare on my Awlcraft painted Mainship and find it works fairly well and EZ to use.
I have heard good reports on Rejex from boaters and RVers.
Would be interested in any findings or trials if you give it a try.

Welcome aboard. I would speak to the paint manufacturer before I put anything on the paint.

I was interested, so looking them up -clearly same product line- I found descriptions and “reviews” obviously written in a translation. It looks like offshore products being rated by the manufacturer. That always makes me wonder about ingredients.
The hydrophobic part may be cause for alarm. Sounds like the chemistry used by Wolverine in Rockford, Michigan. A very bad actor around ground or suface water.

I switched to Meguiar's Ultimate a few years ago. Synthetic polymer. Easy to apply, no swirls like with natural waxes, and it lasts. Just under $20/16 oz bottle at Walmart. Three bottles do the hull on our 44. Two bottles for the deckhouse.

I have heard good reports on Rejex from boaters and RVers.
Would be interested in any findings or trials if you give it a try.

This: have used Rejex for the last 8 years. Our last boat was Awlgripped and after a single coat of Rejex would bead water after a year. I first tried it because we were getting black exhaust stains on the transom, after rejexing the transom the stains would hose off....

On gelcoat we have had great results using "gelcoatlabs" sealant - much better than wax for ease of use, time it lasts and no black streaking. We buy it by the gallon and use simple plastic ketchup bottles for application .
BUT- I would never use anything but the manufacturer recommended sealant on our Awlgrip lower hull, no waxes, no rubbing compounds, no soaps that are not recommended either.

https://www.autogeek.net/gel-coat-m...MI-Lq6v-HF4QIViksNCh128gXQEAQYASABEgKMKfD_BwE

The hydrophobic part may be cause for alarm. Sounds like the chemistry used by Wolverine in Rockford, Michigan. A very bad actor around ground or suface water.

??

hy·dro·pho·bic
/ˌhīdrəˈfōbik/
adjective
tending to repel or fail to mix with water.

PolyGlow is a popular multi-year alternative to wax.

Application is 'easy', proper application is very difficult.

When done right, it's amazing. When not done right, it can look like someone slapped poly eurathane on the boat with a horses tail.

Back
Top Bottom