Pet Safety

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rondalw1

Vessel Name
WIXHAUSEN
Vessel Make
Jefferson 42
Probably discussed before but I am putting this forth anyway.

Based on your experiences (pet owners) what are the best (quality) vests for pets (two Border Collies - 54 lbs and 62 lbs)? Offshore.

Thanks

I asked this very question over at the Cruiser Forums, I'll see if I can find the thread, but the short answer is "Ruffwear." Because so many endorsed this brand of dog life jackets, I bought one and very happy with it. The jackets are more expensive than others but you will see they are well made, strong, excellent fitting, and cover a lot of the body.

I just watched this video, make sure to test fit it, its easy to get it wrong with these jackets.

We now also have a Ruffwear vest which my dog wears multiple times daily.

My thread at the Cruiser forum:

Better and worse dog life jackets - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

For offshore use, I would also recommend the Weems & Plath CrewWatcher MOB System (or would that be Dog Over Board?). The small beacons attach to their collars or pet vests, and if they fall off or otherwise become separated from the boat the alarm will sound on your tablet or phone. And they're Bluetooth devices so no need for wifi.

Mods, I hope it's OK to say this, but we sell them in our store. And if you use the WEEMSTFDISCOUNT you get 10% off any Weems & Plath products in your order (no limit).

Attachments

• CrewWatcherPet.jpg
    CrewWatcherPet.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 81
+1 for Ruff Wear. Our border collie girl wears hers most of the summer. The loop handle at the top is great for in and out of the dinghy. Seems very ergonomic and comfortable on her....based on her not objecting to it.

+1 Ruffwear. Well made and good service. We broke one of the fasteners (it got crushed in the back of the car) and they shipped out a replacement no cost right away.

We have an 85 pound lab. I wanted a PFD with the ability to pick him up. We got an Outward Hound by Kyjen. It has 2 handles so I can pick him up easily and not just at 1 point.

Back
Top Bottom