Who else gets the jitters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wrong berth? That's nothing. Once I mistakenly began entering the neighboring yacht club marina. Reversed before fully entering as the first mate noted the error.

I once saw them put the QE2 into the wrong berth. They had to back out and come back in on the other side. Since then I don't worry about my docking.

I once saw them put the QE2 into the wrong berth. They had to back out and come back in on the other side. Since then I don't worry about my docking.

When I was on a cruise liner, someone asked the captain how he makes the decision which side of the boat to put against the pier.
His response was, 'It all depends on which side the ship needs painting.'
LOL

I hate getting underway then remembering an hour later that I left my lunch in my truck.

I hate getting underway then remembering an hour later that I left my lunch in my truck.

Aren't you glad you had a can of sardines and that can of spam and crackers on board?

Aren't you glad you had a can of sardines and that can of spam and crackers on board?

Worse is when I leave the bait in there. lol
Nothing quite like slow roasted squid and mackerel.

Last edited:
In the first year we had our boat my mouth went dry every time we entered the marina. I’m much more relaxed now.

In the first year we had our boat my mouth went dry every time we entered the marina. I’m much more relaxed now.

I guess that all depends on how confining the marina is. "My" marina, there is lots of room to maneuver.

I'm pretty sure the agent and company made that decision.. Capt gets assigned a berth and side to, frequently changes by management..

I guess that all depends on how confining the marina is. "My" marina, there is lots of room to maneuver.

We'd never boated before (except for sea kayaking) so handling a 30' boat was an abrupt learning curve...especially when surrounded by larger and more expensive boats.

We'd never boated before (except for sea kayaking) so handling a 30' boat was an abrupt learning curve...especially when surrounded by larger and more expensive boats.

So much is where you're coming from. I can understand being nervous in your situation. I came from lifelong boating but then had extensive hands on training by experienced captains before turned loose completely on my own. So confidence came from preparation. I'm sure you recognizing the abrupt learning curve protected you from mistakes. The scary ones are those who jump in a boat with no training or experience and think they are completely capable. They're the ones who get themselves into trouble and jeopardize others. No jitters is a huge negative in their situation.

I love the jitters when anticipating a boat trip, or when hunting and everything is perfect and quiet. When that fades, I will quit both I think.

I experience a completely different emotion when filing my taxes and resort to bad behavior such as displaying the T shirt in the photo.
I am aware that this belongs in a different part of the forum so will simply apologize in advance.....:nonono:

That T shirt is worth a thousand bucks! Love it! It would be funny if it weren't so accurate... Ah, Seattle.

Jitters will start in earnest this weekend as we are finally able to start the spring prep. We will get her uncovered and get cracking on the land based maintenance. Plus I just made the final payment for the seasonal slip. We are aiming to get in the water by the end of April.

I used to pucker up a bit when coming into the dock when there were lots of folks around. After I watched my dock mate slam his Nordhavn 52 into the pylon in a stiff breeze and tide I no longer get stressed it can happen to anyone.

My father maintained, when he paid more taxes it meant he earned more money.
I dont feel that way.

I used to pucker up a bit when coming into the dock when there were lots of folks around. After I watched my dock mate slam his Nordhavn 52 into the pylon in a stiff breeze and tide I no longer get stressed it can happen to anyone.

If it werent from the help of other boaters, I would have piled my N46 against the rock. The bow thruster was never strong enough in the real world.
I tripled the HP of the bow thruster and never had trouble again.

If it werent from the help of other boaters, I would have piled my N46 against the rock. The bow thruster was never strong enough in the real world.
I tripled the HP of the bow thruster and never had trouble again.

They are not the only builder by any means to undersize thrusters. Easy when building or first installing to go with a few more hp, but many don't.

My worst day was trying to maneuver a single screw vessel (no bow thruster) to a fuel dock with a four knot current. After what seemed a really long time, I finally told the fuel dock attendent I was giving up and would come back at slack tide.:blush:

I’m almost always nervous. When I’m not nervous that’s when I end up hitting something, running around, etc. [emoji30]

I get something like jitters when I haven’t been out in a few months and am trying to figure out if something isn’t right, but a checklist helps there - you cannot keep it all in your head. When I’m using the boat regularly I don’t have that issue, but I am still concerned about maneuvering in challenging conditions.

My worst day was trying to maneuver a single screw vessel (no bow thruster) to a fuel dock with a four knot current. After what seemed a really long time, I finally told the fuel dock attendent I was giving up and would come back at slack tide.:blush:
No shame there... My marina usually got 3 knots regularly and all of the pro captains I worked with all had issues once the current got up near even 3 knots.

I laugh when I travel and just docked in maybe 2 knots of current and the locals are saying nice job despite 6 knots of current.

Most are clueless.

4 knots in most successful docking situations and you are in the top of the class. :)

I get something like jitters when I haven’t been out in a few months and am trying to figure out if something isn’t right, but a checklist helps there - you cannot keep it all in your head. When I’m using the boat regularly I don’t have that issue, but I am still concerned about maneuvering in challenging conditions.

I think checklists are a key. At least you know you're not overlooking something. If I entrusted it all to memory I would be worried and second guessing myself.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom