Software

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Guys, I have a problem that maybe someone can help with: I have NMEA 0183 with a simrad AP25 AP, I'm trying to use CE on my laptop, but can't figure out how to connect it. How can I hook up to the AP? I know I have to use a USB but does anyone how or where to connect on the AP or do I somehow hook into my 0183.
You'll need either a serial port which most laptops today do not have, or a serial-USB adapter. OR a multiplexer, like Actisense NDC that will have a USB conversion on board. Rosepoint's Nemo interface will work splendidly as well. How you approach it is dependent on how much of the ship's system data is on NMEA0183 and how much of it you wish to utilize.

You mentioned an AP. The AP25, if I'm not mistaken is the control head, and if memory serves me correctly, you'll need to connect to the AP's computer not the control head to port CE's output to the AP. You may want to port the AP's heading data to CE as well, it will keep the "own vessel" icon correctly oriented. If you have other data like AIS, or GPS, you'll be aiming for the NEMO or NDC, since you'll likely be using NMEA data from more than one source. You can't just put all the wires together on a terminal block. Hence, the multiplexer. From that juncture, USB to the PC will provide all the data CE can use.

You'll need to get some manuals out, and diagram out exactly what you want to accomplish, how it will be connected and then look at color codes for each piece of gear, polarity e.g. TX/RX, baud rate, and then get it all wired up. Don't panic, it's not terribly difficult, you just need to be organized and be able to read the manual. A diagram is a must, otherwise you'll have a cluster.... of wires and.... they're small....

Plenty of help on the forum, NMEA is good old guy stuff. :eek:

Thanks to both of you guys, I tried wiring directly from USB to the AP computer but still couldn't get it o operate. I bought a USB GPS and it seems ok but not sure. Wouldn't the AP's compass be the one I really need?

Thanks to both of you guys, I tried wiring directly from USB to the AP computer but still couldn't get it o operate. I bought a USB GPS and it seems ok but not sure. Wouldn't the AP's compass be the one I really need?

The easiest approach (from my experience) would be the Nemo Gateway, as it handles both N2K and 0183. Everything goes into the computer by Ethernet cable or, if through a wireless Router, by Bluetooth. That would be my approach. It’s very easy to use at the basic level.

Jim

I should add that connecting the autopilot involves using both the “listening” and “talking” ports on the Nemo Gateway.

Don't be offended-- What you're describing is not possible. The USB connection is incompatible with any of your onboard devices for direct connection. Don't keep monkeying with trial & error connections, if you apply power to the AP serial NMEA connections via a USB pigtail you could seriously damage the AP!
Get qualified help or plan to spend some time educating yourself on how to do it correctly!
Re-read the posts above, they give you the options, and several posts have described what steps you need to follow. It's not a difficult task if you know how, BUT- there's no shortcut to that knowledge other than a credit card to pay someone who already has it!

I've used Coastal Explorer since it was originally released, Time Zero for at least 6 years, and OpenCPN for about 5. They all have their pros/cons just like chart plotter manufacturers.

I would try to find a neighbor or friend that has CE or TZ and play around with it just to get a feel for the differences. They are very close in features, unless you pair it with particular hardware. OpenCPN is free, so you can download and try this one on your own.

I was a CE fanboy for years, and used it on my last 2 boats extensively, and love the interface and features that Rose Point has added over the years. With the addition of the Nemo Gateway, it really made CE a powerful application that could be the central system controlling the boat underway.

On my new boat, I have invested in Furuno radar, autopilot, and chart plotters, and decided to use Time Zero Professional over CE because of the deep integration. The UI/UX of TZ is not as good as CE in my opinion, but the integration is far better than anything out there - controlling the radar, cameras, autopilot, and synchronizing things all without much problems - those are features few other pieces of software have.

I still keep CE updated and working, and it can still control my autopilot and run the boat if TZ dies.

I also agree that the TZ iPad app is a great tool (someone mentioned it above) and have several friends who use it extensively. It is 90% similar to TZ Pro and the TZT 2 MFDs for that matter, and those companies seem to be investing money in cross-functional features and sync.

OpenCPN is also good, but it is behind both TZ and CE in terms of complete features and user interface. It has gone through a lot of updates and improvements in the last few years, and is a solid contender. It has the plus of being open source, and has integrations with other tools like SignalK that are harder/not available with the commercial ones. The biggest challenge I have with it is reliability and user interface. The reliability has gotten better, and the UI has improved, but it is still a ways from being as easy to use as CE and TZ.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom