Jefferson 42

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rondalw1

Vessel Name
WIXHAUSEN
Vessel Make
Jefferson 42
We did it. This is our new home in SW Florida. Retired and after we fit it with what we need/want we will be heading out for short trips at first. Permanent home will be Fort Myers.

Attached hopefully is a photo and the survey results.

Attachments

• 42 jefferson.jpg
    42 jefferson.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 364
I like Jeffersons. Looked really hard at a 55. You guys have fun now.

We did it. This is our new home in SW Florida. Retired and after we fit it with what we need/want we will be heading out for short trips at first. Permanent home will be Fort Myers.

I see a photo, but no survey results. I'd be interested in seeing those results as I am in the market for a similar boat.

Survey Results

I have no problem giving survey results

*GENERAL RECOMMENDATIONS SUGGESTIONS & COMMENTS *
1. WEEPING & CRACKING ON WEATHER DECKS, COSMETIC ONLY, REPAIR AS WANTED
2. MISSING RAILING ON PULPIT, REPLACE AS NEEDED
3. NOTED WATER STAINS AROUND THE WINDOWS & HATCHES, PORT LIGHTS, ETC. SUGGEST BEDDING ALL EXTERIOR ATTACHMENTS, HATCHES, WINDOWS, RAIL STANCHIONS, CLEATS, ETC. A REGULAR MAINTENANCE ITEM (resealed and caulked already)
4. DRIVE SHAFT STUFFING LOGS NEED ADJUSTING, EXTREMELY TIGHT, VERY HOT
5. POSSIBLE PORT SHAFT IS BENT OR ALIGNMENT ISSUES, HEAVY ENGINE SHAKE, GALVANIC PITTING ON SHAFT
6. FORWARD AIR CONDITION DID NOT TEST GOOD, REPAIR AS NEEDED
7. NOTED SEVERAL CORRODED THRU-HULL/COCKS, RUSTED FITTING & CLAMPS, SOME HANDLES HARD TO MOVE
8. NO WINDSHIELD WIPERS ARMS, RE3PLACE AS WANTED
9. CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTOR DID NOT TEST GOOD, PUT ABOARD A WORKING DEVICES (Corrected)
10. BONDING SYSTEM HAS LOOSE/BROKEN OR FOULED WIRE CONNECTIONS, INSPECT ENTIRE VESSEL, REPAIR
11. WASTE TANK FITTING COVERED WITH 5200, POSSIBLE RUSTED, KEEP WATCH
12, IN LAZERETTE, CRACKED STEERING HOSE AT RAM, REPLACE AS NEEDED
13. ANCHOR PULPIT HAS CRACKS, SOFT W/DELAMINATION, MISSING UNDER SIDE TRIM, REPAIR
14. SWIM PLATFORM HAS MISSING BOARDS, REPLACE AS NEEDED
15. GROUND BRUSHES MISSING ON SHAFT STRAPS, REPLACE AS NEEDED
16. REMOVE LPG TANK FROM UNDER GALLEY COUNTER, NOT VENTED, MOVE TO A WELL VENTED AREA
17. PORT ENGINE HAS A SMALL WATER LEAK AT MIXING ELBOW, INSPECT & REPAIR

OVERALL EVALUATION
1989 42’ JEFFERSON, MOTOR YACHT- CAROGUY HIN: KYS42257I889 DATE: MARCH 29, 2019
This Jefferson cruising yacht exemplifies style and form in a classic cruising hull. Addition too many upgrades gives this yacht an "Average Condition" Equipped with adequate electronics and safety gear for coastal navigation. The upholstery and finishes are clean & in good condition. The interior of this vessel is clean well aired with no foul odors. The exterior decks, and hull surfaces are in good condition, The engine compartment and below decks are neat & orderly. This vessel has been serviced and competently maintained, Specification were within normal limits. The vessel during sea-trial was easily handled and managed.

THIS VESSEL CONSIDERED BEING IN “AVERAGE CONDITION” THROUGHOUT.

Congratulations on your Jefferson! We love ours. This is an exciting time in your life. Have fun, and good luck, with the repairs and refitting. Making a new boat your own is one of the joys. Keep us posted on your progress and your travels.

The one item that stand outs glaringly on the survey is the LPG tank. You need to do more than move it to a "well ventilated area". It needs to be outside where any propane leak (it is heavier than air) will flow down and over the side of the boat.

Most installations use a propane locker designed for this purpose with a drain hole that must be directed overboard. Also install a pressure gauge and a solenoid valve at the tank with a switch at the galley to turn the propane on and off.

Disconnect and remove the LPG tank until this is done.

David

Yes, I know. We have pulled the tanks. We are having a new stove installed and an installer make sure the tanks are placed properly.

Congrats on the new purchase. I looked at it online when it was listed. Nice boat. I'm in the process of buying an 1987 CHB Royal Star 42 from a friend. It's almost the same layout and power specs. Your survey looks good with nothing major to report. I sure you'll have lots of things the you and the DW want to do to make it your own. That's half the fun. Enjoy!!:thumb:

+1 on the propane tanks being moved. Make sure the tank is installed in a locker and done according to the ABYC recommendations. Good luck with your new baby.

She's a very nice looking vessel! :socool:

Congratulations on the new purchase!

Jim

Thanks again all for comments. As you may of noticed she is lacking electronics. I am in the search of Radar and a few other items. One thing I want to change is that the lower helm has no electronics. I would like to have both the upper and lower helm fully integrated.

wow nice . i wish i only 17 items open on my survey .

i think i had 42 .

Finally closed on boat and it is ours. I can't imaging how long it would take to close if we had a loan to buy the boat.

Anyway, the survey item repairs start Saturday. Going to do all the stuff that can be done before I have her hauled out for the shaft and sea cocks.

Filled her up and not too bad actually cost wise. I over estimated that expense but price goes up and I will be okay.

If all goes well I will have her ready to go by hurricane season.

Outstanding! Congratulations. Have fun with it and keep us posted on your journeys.

Thank You.

Following an old tradition we are having de-naming ceremony on Tuesday and the naming ceremony late Wednesday.

I have a Khi Shing Vista 46. I have been scratching my head at what they knocked off to build it. This looks an awful lot like mine. We LOVE ours! Retiring to it is a bit down the road and trips are strictly Friday night until Sunday afternoon. Welcome to our community!

We have a Jefferson 45 that was built by Hershine in 95. Molds probably went everywhere.

Albin, Jefferson and Hershine all came from same molds. Same yard.

Had a 45' Jefferson for 12 years and lived aboard for 6 after retiring , in Marathron at Harbour Cay Club. Great boat with lots of space and crusing range. Rear window leaks are common and easy repair. Did change the fuel tanks,so you might want to keep a eye on that. Enjoy and cruise like you planned. Enjoy.

Sweet ride! We’re down in Fort Myers often - where will you keep her?

What about the elephant in the room. Bent shaft/engine shake? !!!!

Congrats! I picked up an '87 Jefferson 42 last year and working on it to do the Great Loop. in a few years.
I've been having problems routing wiring between the flybridge, salon helm station and engine room as the wire chase in the door sill is stuffed. I'll be interested if you find other ways to route as well as to the stern under the bed.
I'm also chasing a water leak behind the main bedroom walls. I you have water damage delaminating the wall veneer be aware that there is the usual leakage from the windows but also from the side stringers behind the paneling. It appears to come from the base of the sundeck doors and down and then through the walls.
BTW, a trick for the AC if you're a techie. Many of the old free dehumidifiers run R22 to you can tap them and top of your AC.

42 Jefferson

Hey all, we are in Edison Ford Marina for the long haul until we get her the way we want and have some retrofit.

June/July she is coming out for the shaft and engine shake (think shaft was not repaired properly). Also having all thru-hulls replaced.

Electronics and NAV Aids also being installed.

Since we will be going back to CA for daughter having grand-baby we will have plenty of time for the repairs being made.

Problem being I need someone to drive the boat to haul out and splash. We will be gone.

We have a 89 42 Jefferson sundeck for the last 4 years, love the space and she is a great boat, Bahama to Halifax, no issues, those Perkin are tanks, just make sure to replace your anode twice a years, those many/cooler are super expensive and hard to find!

I replaced the window in the after cabin , that solved my issues there , but I still have a pesky one from somewhere above the dinette and the Stbd side window (well above the window), any idea

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom