View Single Post
Old 04-01-2019, 02:44 PM   #25
Albin
Veteran Member

City: Halifax
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Albin 40, trawler
As many have said I would stay away from lubricating hose connections. That's just asking for trouble. I would also stay away from prying hoses off with picks and screw drivers. Even if you don't damage the hose, you might damage the barbs which could create a leak. The best method, and I'm surprised no one has mentioned this, is to use a heat gun. Be patient and keep the heat gun moving until the rubber is very warm or hot to the touch. This expands the rubber and softens it up to the point where you can wiggle it off. This may take some time with thick walled intake hoses. For winterizing however, try to avoid removing hoses at all. I just drain my raw water system at the heat exchanger and lift muffler and then pour about 10 liters of pink plumber's antifreeze directly into the strainer (with the intake seacock closed of course) while the engine is running. This will dilute or displace any remaining water. Have everything ready to go when you start your engine so your impeller doesn't run dry for more than a few seconds. Don't forget to fog your engine before shutting it down though.
Albin is offline   Reply With Quote