Is any diesel fuel "good enough"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oak_box

Veteran Member
With all the formulations, additives, and federal regulations, is "regular car/truck" diesel that I would get at my corner gas pump OK to run in a Lehman / Perkins / Detroit Diesel?

Is "marine diesel" any different (obviously, this may vary from marina to marina...)?

Thanks!
John

Diesel, straight out of the corner pump will be fine for your engines. There is no difference in marine diesel other than dye which indicates no over the road taxes have been paid.

On a related issue, I watched a movie last night made about five years ago. There was a fleeting glimpse of a gas station from that era that showed gas at $1.75 per gallon and diesel at $1.25 or $1.50 per gallon, can't remember which. Today it is just the opposite with diesel pump prices at least $.50 per gallon and often $.75 per gallon higher than gas. I worked in the refining industry and diesel at current specs costs little if any difference to make.

As another data point, about 2-3 years ago when Valero stopped publishing them, Gulf coast diesel prices ranged from 25 cents more to 12 cents less per gallon than gasoline at the refinery gate depending on the season. This was data Valero gleaned from public, respected sources like Platts Oilgram.

So over the last 5 years diesel has gone up almost a dollar a gallon vs gas at the pump. Taxes if anything have gone up for gasoline but not for diesel.

What gives? Someone is ripping us off, I suspect!!!

David

I believe the only difference between “highway” #2 diesel and “off-road”, that would include marine and heating oil, is a dye to indicate that the fuel has been paid. We do, however, in Washington State, have some sellers of biodiesel including a few marinas. Most marinas up here prohibit fueling away from the fuel dock.

I believe the only difference between “highway” #2 diesel and “off-road”, that would include marine and heating oil, is a dye to indicate that the fuel has been paid. We do, however, in Washington State, have some sellers of biodiesel including a few marinas. Most marinas up here prohibit fueling away from the fuel dock.

At Cap Sante in Anacortes you can fill from a truck at the commercial dock. You pay an access fee to the port, but they don't care otherwise. To their credit, the Port of Anacortes started charging the same price for 750 gallons+ at their fuel dock as the local oil distributor charges when delivered by truck.

Diesel, straight out of the corner pump will be fine for your engines. There is no difference in marine diesel other than dye which indicates no over the road taxes have been paid.

On a related issue, I watched a movie last night made about five years ago. There was a fleeting glimpse of a gas station from that era that showed gas at $1.75 per gallon and diesel at $1.25 or $1.50 per gallon, can't remember which. Today it is just the opposite with diesel pump prices at least $.50 per gallon and often $.75 per gallon higher than gas. I worked in the refining industry and diesel at current specs costs little if any difference to make.

As another data point, about 2-3 years ago when Valero stopped publishing them, Gulf coast diesel prices ranged from 25 cents more to 12 cents less per gallon than gasoline at the refinery gate depending on the season. This was data Valero gleaned from public, respected sources like Platts Oilgram.

So over the last 5 years diesel has gone up almost a dollar a gallon vs gas at the pump. Taxes if anything have gone up for gasoline but not for diesel.

David

It will probably get worse as big ships will soon be required to stop using sludgy bunker oil and move to lighter grades. The environmentalist have won that but I suspect there will be an increase in diesel prices and other unintended consequences such as what to do with the heavy stuff.

I suspect that diesel prices are driven by the largest market: trucking and heavy equipment. Since some of these users can pass some of the increases on to their customers a few are not hurt. The bulk though have no choice but to pay whatever the market demands and have no way to recoup their losses. The long haul “independent contractor” trucker is being squeezed and there is little they can do about it.

David
I wondered about the pricing of fuel as well!!! Since I had never heard anyone else complain, I started thinking that maybe I was like Mel Gibson's character in the movie Conspiracy Theory.
I too think we are being "ripped off"! Here on the west coast of Canada all of our fuel prices go up for any reason. Shortage, price up (makes some sense). Refinery shutdown for maintenance, price up. It's Tuesday, price up, etc.:banghead:
Then our Government decides we are not taxed enough, so guess what, yeah, price up!:dance:
Oh well, at least we do take notice.

David

re: "Someone is ripping us off, I suspect!!!"

Bingo! The motor fuels industry figured out that people were saving some money buying diesel powered vehicles and getting 20% better mpg than gasoline powered vehicles. Motor fuel industry decided to 'fix our wagons' by charging more for diesel fuel to make up for lost profits and ensure they were extracting max dollars from every mile you drive, regardless of which fuel you burn...

Sorry all you conspiracy throrists, the government has nothing to do with these dirty and monopolistic practices. Just ask Mr Koch...

Funny thing is, everyone knows diesel costs about 20% less in terms of raw refnery costs than gasoline...so why does it cost more at the pump?

Meanwhile, here in Bradenton marine diesel costs about 15% less than marine gasoline...what's up with that?

Meanwhile, here in Bradenton marine diesel costs about 15% less than marine gasoline...what's up with that?

Because gas prices at marinas are insanely high. I paid $4.00/gal at Burnt Store yesterday when I bought 17 gal for my outboard powered tiny trawler. Diesel is sometimes cheaper because the average sale is ten times higher.

David

US is exporting record volumes of diesel to a world that's hungry for it. I think gasoline is really cheap in the US but diesel has more of a floor due to export possibilities.

Just an armchair view

I believe engine use diesel is filtered better than home heating oil.

On Antiques like DD and other 40+ year old engines any diesel should be OK.

The danger is the ethanol or other bio gunk demanded in road fuel in some areas.

The bio gunk is claimed to dissolve many of the seals and rubber in older engines fuel systems..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom