Who else gets the jitters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's not, not knowing how to do it. It's knowing that negative things can can happen unexpectedly, "unexpectedly" being the operative word. When you think you've seen everything, all you know for sure, is that you are wrong. :D

ah yes, expect the unexpected. You may experience a totally uneducated first time boater. Just hope they are driving a RIB. Be gentle and educate them with kindness. Barring that, try not to sink their boat and dont let them sink your boat.
If necessary, offer to teach them boat handling with their boat.

Last edited:
It's not, not knowing how to do it. It's knowing that negative things can can happen unexpectedly, "unexpectedly" being the operative word. When you think you've seen everything, all you know for sure, is that you are wrong. :D

Absolutely....a bit concerned everytime everytime I srapped on the helo.

greatest compliment I ever got was a crewman telling another....fly with him (me), he will bring you home.....

it's a sixth sense that you have or develope, and its always talking to you... one way or another.

Wow! I'm surprised at the responses.

When I hop on the boat and toss off the lines, the feeling is complete relaxation. Perhaps the difference is the lack of boat traffic. Once I leave the marina, it's just me and the ocean. :)
I can relate to what you said. Once I'm underway the jitters are gone and the feelings of confidence (and competence) return. It just seems that the time leading up to the departure is the time I get the jitters, and maybe for the first mile or so was we head out.

I have two bridges I pass through within the first 1/2 mile as we head downstream. The first is a fixed bridge with plenty of elevation, the second a railroad bridge they have to raise for me to clear. Neither bridges gives me any worries it just seems that once I'm through the second one the jitters have passed.

Then it's "take me to the next horizon".

I can relate to what you said. Once I'm underway the jitters are gone and the feelings of confidence (and competence) return. It just seems that the time leading up to the departure is the time I get the jitters,

^^^^This

I wouldn't say I get jittery unless it's a trip that's involving unknown waters. I do seem to have an inner voice that sometimes tells me "don't go out today" or "today is not the day to ride your motorcycle". When I get that feeling I don't do it and have never regretted it.

Kevin

Some might call it performance anxiety. I think of it differently and in the positive. In fact, I utilize it differently. I don't let the anxiety in but I do build the anticipation. I prepare and build to the point and then it's "GAME ON." To me, it's a performance, even like a competition. It's like a big moment in business was, like going on stage was, like playing basketball or tennis.

This is how someone with social anxiety, incredible shyness and inability to walk up to a stranger in a social setting or approach a girl for a date can speak before any size group, can sing before a group or can play sports with no issues and a flow of adrenaline. It's like acting in some ways, that I can go from the person with social anxiety to the performer on stage, even if the stage is a business meeting or operating a boat. For instance, I don't get anxious docking a boat as it's like a competition and I'm determined I'm going to chalk up another win.

In my case it's a bit like hypnosis, just self hypnosis. In fact, if anyone is finding the nervousness is impairing their ability to do their best rather than helping it, I'd recommend some form of hypnosis type therapy. Sports psychology has become big but there are many professional athletes with careers greatly enhanced or even saved by it. One of the techniques is visualization. The pitcher with control problems gets more nervous and suddenly can't come close to throwing strikes, so they get help and learn to visualize throwing strikes.

These things impact each of us differently. For me, getting in the boat and heading out is positive in all ways and I'm up and ready for it and my senses heightened so that I'm ready to function and peak. Meanwhile the thought of going to some charity event where I know no one and am expected to make small talk with strangers is terrifying without my wife at my side holding my hand. I'm thinking "what do I say", "what if they don't want to talk", "I don't know anyone," "I can't just walk up to a perfect stranger and say something", "what if they start asking me questions," "I don't know anyone", "Do i have to go". I'm better than I once was, largely with help from my wife, but I've never been able to turn the anxiety into positive anticipation.

So, the big question is really, does the feeling you have before, that GFC called the jitters, make you more likely to succeed or to fail? I think with most here it's more likely to succeed. If it makes you more likely to fail, then with or without the help of others, you need to find a way to convert the feeling to positive energy.

Self hypnosis isn't some trance that makes you dance like a chicken but it's a way of emphasizing the positive and pushing the fears to the side. You can also help with crutches such as check lists as they'll support the thought that "no, you won't overlook anything, because you'll go by the list." You do things the same every time. It's like the rituals athletes go through which put them in a comfort zone. Even superstitions help some. Look at a good free throw shooter in basketball.

As to tax filing, I don't even think about that since I started preparing tax returns in my father's office at the age of 14. Still prepare my own with the help of the software of a large accounting firm and review by their partner.

I wouldn't say I get jittery unless it's a trip that's involving unknown waters. I do seem to have an inner voice that sometimes tells me "don't go out today" or "today is not the day to ride your motorcycle". When I get that feeling I don't do it and have never regretted it.

Kevin

And good you don't, because if you did with that frame of mind, it might easily turn into a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Wifey B: I'm not the jittery type, more the show off, prove myself type. Strangers never scared me like they do hubby. Detractors didn't either. However, when it comes to things requiring education or brains, I'm still proving "them" all wrong, that I'm not just a BBBBB (big boobed blue eyed blonde bimbo), but I can do anything I set my mind to. So each time I operate a boat it's still a bit, "look at me you stupid sob a....le, look what I can do."

It's funny but I know how so many get scared docking and hope people aren't watching. Meanwhile, my mindset is "hope you're all watching cause this girl is going to show you how it's done." Now, I didn't get that feeling just by deciding to do it, but by training and practice.

As to "them" it's really my father. I'll never stop proving him wrong. Fortunately, I found a guy who cared about and believed in all aspects of me and has always held me on a pedestal. :D

Well the best laid plans of mice and men oft times go awry.

Damn weathermen.

We were all set to leave, boat started as it should, the radio call to the railroad bridge operator said they would raise it ASAP, so we undid the lines and pulled out of the slip. Winds were predicted to be about 15mph. Not too bad.

We took off, got about 10 miles down the river and the winds were really starting to pick up. Dammit. I'm guessing the winds were blowing about 25 with some higher gusts. When the boat is rocked to the side by the wind gusts you know it's starting to howl.

I decided I didn't want to continue because going through the locks in high winds is no fun and an easy way to get gelcoat damage by being slammed into the lock walls. Gelcoat vs concrete is no contest. Gelcoat always loses.

So, discretion being the better part of valor, I'm sitting in my living room watching the fireplace and listening to the wind howl. We'll keep an eye on the weather and if it doesn't let up soon we may have to postpone the trip until after we get back from a week long trip to AZ.

Damn weathermen.

OH, and to BandB, the jitters tend to make me more positive. I know I can do it and many times have proven it to myself. Just today, when we got back to the slip (I back in) there was a strong wind coming from the stbd aft quarter. Probably as strong a wind as I've ever backed against.

Came in under power, faster than I think I've ever come in before and nailed it perfectly on the first shot. Even my Admiral commented how surprised she was at the speed I was moving when backing it in.

I love it when sh!t happens and it happens in my direction! <Giving a big fist pump here!>

Sorry about the weather setback. I admire and respect your wisdom. My wife would really appreciate it.

Good move, Mike. That comes from being on point and paying attention to your surroundings.

Sometimes it amazes me how oblivious some folks are to the environment and changing conditions around them. I've found that those types don't make good boaters or pilots...but they can have lots of fun up until that point when their oblivion catches up to them.

:D :) :angel: :blush: :socool: :eek: :facepalm: :banghead: :hide: :whistling:

Last edited:
I’m confident about knowing my abilities and find much satisfaction in exercising them. Single handing as I do, I get the jitters about the things I can’t control. Weather is a big one. Only so much I can do, only so many plans I can conceive. For the most part, it’s positive and keeps me out of trouble mostly. Mostly.

Remember coming into my home dock on a windy day. Harbormaster moseyed over to lend a hand, which in my home dock, don’t typically need. No real pressure, but with some wind felt like I wanted to absolutely grease the landing. Came in just as the right pace, nosed over the hard rudder, opposing transmissions. She swung just right, but a little shy, idled and the wind took up the difference. Quick bump in gear and she settles into the slip, wind and all, did not so much as kiss either finger pier. Perfect. Harbormaster tells me he does not see many quite like that, honestly impressed. I took my compliment, backed out of the slip and proceeded to land one slip up. Not quite as perfect, but decent. In all the excitement I lost track of where I was and went into my neighbors slip by mistake.

Moral of this story is that skills are great, but humility will get you further.

... In all the excitement I lost track of where I was and went into my neighbors slip by mistake.

Moral of this story is that skills are great, but humility will get you further.

Wrong berth? That's nothing. Once I mistakenly began entering the neighboring yacht club marina. Reversed before fully entering as the first mate noted the error.

Wrong berth? That's nothing. Once I mistakenly began entering the neighboring yacht club marina. Reversed before fully entering as the first mate noted the error.
:dance: Now THAT is funny. I've done a lot of funny stuff but never that one. :dance:

The wind is blowing like hell today. We're supposed to get gusts in the 30's but then simmer down tomorrow.

We are having the family over Sunday for Easter dinner, then in early April we're taking off for AZ for a week or so. This trip may have to wait until mid April.

Damn Weather Gods!

I get a little jittery docking. I get a little jittery coming into a crowded anchorage (That has more to do with finding a spot and ensuring that I end up where I want to be, once the anchor is set). I've been doing both for many, many years. It has nothing to do with experience, repetition or muscle memory. I only get jittery leaving the dock under unusual or extreme circumstances, such as leaving a gas dock, when there is only a few feet between the boat in front or back (or...gulp...both). Sometimes navigating in tight quarters with strong winds. Like pulling out of a slip with a strong cross-wind pushing me into the boat next to me.

Not having a boat Yet but seriously looking in the 45-50’ range, I am all kinds of anxious for things I haven’t even done yet....We do operate a 45 ‘ motorhome throughout the US, I can tell you that we get pretty comfortable sitting in a beautiful campsite, slides and awning out, BBQ set up etc...On moving day , packing up, navigating tight turns, possible mechanical issues, just the general travel prep creates some nerves. After the first hour or so I settle in and couldn’t be happier, I suspect boating will have a similar feel...Enjoy each moment...

Hey Mike ol' buddy! I get the jitters too, especially crossing the bar and heading north. I can't sleep the night before.

We are heading your way in May. I am worried about the narrow channels and I am a lock virgin.

Have a good trip. Be safe and if you need anything give us a ring.....

** Some of the things that give me the jitters and or P me off **

Realizing you left your spouse or significant other, on the dock.
Close quarter maneuvering
Docking/undocking
Line handler(s) who do not wait for directions of the person at the helm. Trying up is a joint effort. Single handing brings back the old say, "You have no one to blame but yourself."
Backing into or out of a slip
Green water over the bow
Traversing an unfamiliar cut
Sleeping while anchored

** Guests onboard **

Unruly children onboard (their one and only trip) That "oops, I forgot", goes only so far on a boat.
Children who think they don't need to wear a PFD and parents who do not contain their kids (on their one and only trip)
Adults who do not listen or get drunk (on their one and only trip)
People who plug up the only head on board (on their one and only trip)

That's a start.

Yeah, all o those.

Only when changing countries
Only when coming into a tight fuel dock.

Hey Mike ol' buddy! I get the jitters too, especially crossing the bar and heading north. I can't sleep the night before.

We are heading your way in May. I am worried about the narrow channels and I am a lock virgin.

Have a good trip. Be safe and if you need anything give us a ring.....
Klondike Bars. Klondike Bars. Klondike Bars. You get the picture.

I hope your plans include overnighting in the Tri Cities. If you belong to a yacht club I'll make arrangements for freebie moorage at our club. If not, I'll make arrangements for you at my marina which is right next to the club.

The first round is on me at Ice Harbor brewing which is on the island where both marinas are.

Also, if you need transportation while you're here just let me know. I'll run you all over town to get what you need.

As far as the locks go, if you want my main piece of advice for using the locks just let me know that too. I closely guard that secret so others don't take advantage of it and me.

Last edited:
I get the jitters all the time. It just means that I am ready for the challenge. Whenever I feel calm and confident, I know I must not be ready. In college when I went into a test feeling on top of, I would usually blow it. If I came in scared I would ace it.

Same thing flying, for a day prior to a cross country trip my bowels and stomach are screwed up. Once the engine is started, I am calm and on top of everything.

Only thing that is different is public speaking where I just "disappear" prior to the event and reemerge after I step away from the mike. I have to ask others how I did because I have no memory of it...unless I really screw up....THAT I can remember though would prefer I didnt. Guess it means I am full of crap so it is easy to lie..

Klondike Bars. Klondike Bars. Klondike Bars. You get the picture.

I hope your plans include overnighting in the Tri Cities. If you belong to a yacht club I'll make arrangements for freebie moorage at our club. If not, I'll make arrangements for you at my marina which is right next to the club.

The first round is on me at Ice Harbor brewing which is on the island where both marinas are.

Also, if you need transportation while you're here just let me know. I'll run you all over town to get what you need.

As far as the locks go, if you want my main piece of advice for using the locks just let me know that too.

Well I think we will have to stop in Tri-Cities!!! I am a yacht club member, but John is not. Discuss when we get closer to departure date.

copy that on Klondike Bars!!:thumb:

Any words of wisdom on Locks and stopping points and for that fact any other issue, please let me know (here or PM) and I can pass it on to Pairadice.:socool:

Getting the "jitters" is caused by a healthy respect for SA. (Situational Awareness) Weather, vessel's seaworthiness, your ability, vessel's mechanical & electronics condition, and preparing for the unknown.

I don't want to ride with any skipper that says he never gets the 'jitters." I get the "jitters" every time I take the boat out and, conversely, experience the "euphoria" when I'm safely back in my slip. Those feelings are what keeps me and my passengers safe! :thumb:

Tom, in addition to Klondike bars, I checked and Alaska Amber is available in the Tri Cities!:dance:

Tom, in addition to Klondike bars, I checked and Alaska Amber is available in the Tri Cities!:dance:

LOL Yes sir it is. Klondike Bars and AA. Perfect world.....

Ken It will be an honor to sit down with you and Mike with Miss Tina and discuss the hardships of retirement!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom