Advice on Golf Cart Battery Brands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Trojan

I’ve got Trojan T105RE
Not much mentioned about them on these forums
I called Trajan 4 yrs ago when I installed them, their advice was to go with the “RE” version, some mystery carbon technology, but supposedly happier with the 80% SOG most of us experience. Regular golf cart batteries are usually fully charged at the end of the day. Most boats rarely see this.
The “RE” series stands for renewable energy, designed for use in off the grid systems.
Time will tell but 4 years and no loss of capacity.
Look at their website, the “RE” series has a much longer life span.

Life on the hook 6mnts/yr
1 hr gen charge per day, while I make water
780 watts solar topped off by 2pm most days.
Runs all my goodies incl ice maker and wash machine.

I just got 8 years out of my Sam's Club Duracells. Only lost the bank because shore power was down for a few months while unattended on the hard.

Interstate GC2 Made by Trojan

FYI

Currently the Interstate GC2 batteries are manufactured by Trojan. It is the T-105. I was skeptical at first when my supplier told me that. However I did need some charging specifics for my solar setup that could not be answered by my local vendor. I was referred to an engineer at Interstate that also confirmed it. The smaller 6V GC battery is still made by Johnson controls. They are trying to regain market share in that sector and have recognized some shortcomings.

It may make it easier for some to find an Interstate dealer vs a Trojan dealer. They seem to have a larger distribution network. Certainly helps me, I have a wholesale acct with them. They deliver to my door once a week. They have a presence in most cities and seem hospitable to "walk in customers".

When lots of cables are required to be installed the auto style posts can use military style connections that make multiple connections easy.

No worries about over torquing a bolt set in lead. At NAPA https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NW_728223

Ordnance / Military Bolt Type Battery Terminals

https://www.amazon.com/Military-Spe...ocphy=9012023&hvtargid=pla-777032180552&psc=1

+1 on Ordnance clamps. My boat came with the accident-waiting-to-happen molded stud clamps. A stud actually pulled out while I was disassembling the bank for replacement. Ordnance clamps solve that problem and accommodate 4 lugs, 2 per side. Available at any battery shop. I stayed with Sam’s East Penn for batteries, and they’ve performed well. I thought about going with Rolls, but the distributor quoted me an 8 week lead time, which seemed nuts, and after wrestling my Interstate 8D start batteries out of the ER, I swore off 165 lb batteries anyway (I replaced the 8D’s with 3 Interstate Workaholic Group 34, they spin the 3208’s like a top).

Pay attention to anything that CMS writes about batteries and it is worthwhile to peruse and read the information on his website.

When I needed to replace batteries on my last sailboat, I used Costco GC batteries. At the time, they were made by Interstate batteries and were the same as Interstate’s “budget” GC batteries. The cost was about $100 per battery less than the Trojans if I recall correctly. I am not suggesting that the Costco batteries were “just as good” as the Trojan, but for my needs they were plenty “good enough”. If I was a full-time cruiser in a remote area, then the extra cost of the Trojan (or similar) might have been worth it.

As others have said, the most important thing is how the batteries are maintained. If you and your equipment are very good at maintaining batteries, then you will get good life out of both types. If you or your equipment aren’t, you are likely to kill off either type of battery in a hurry.

Another way I looked at it, was that I felt that the Trojans might give me 30% more battery life. They were going to cost me almost 100% more. Factor in the hassle of replacing them (not that difficult once you are configured for the GC batteries) and go the direction you are most comfortable with.

Very happy with my x8 Crowns, which replaced US Batteries. BUT when the Crowns go, they will be replaced by 3-4 Fireflys.

Very happy with my x8 Crowns, which replaced US Batteries. BUT when the Crowns go, they will be replaced by 3-4 Fireflys.

Why Fireflys? Most of us know the Firefly story but to offset the much higher cost than FLAs what advantages do you see? With some on TF already having them this may be a good time to advise us on - has the real world matched the sales promotion?

I've been using Dyno GC2b batteries for several years and they've performed well. Made locally in Seattle and available through Fisheries Supply. Not sure if they're available elsewhere in the country.

Dyno offers two GC2 batteries: the GC2e and GC2b. The GC2e has 17 plates, weighs 61 lbs, and is rated at 225ah. The GC2b has 19 plates, weighs 67 lbs, and is rated at 235ah.

Here are the specs: http://www.dynobattery.com/SpecGC2.pdf

Also look at how many different GC2 size batteries Interstate makes! https://www.interstatebatteries.com/recreation-vehicles/golf-cart-batteries/extreme-cycle

Why Fireflys? Most of us know the Firefly story but to offset the much higher cost than FLAs what advantages do you see? With some on TF already having them this may be a good time to advise us on - has the real world matched the sales promotion?

I think the advantages have been pretty well canvassed on TF over the last couple of years. The higher per-battery costs are significantly offset by requiring fewer of them. I am attracted by the higher re-charge rate/shorter genset ( & alternator) running times; and by their apparent robustness.

Demand in N America is now so high that getting them in other markets is even harder than it was 20 months ago. Supposed to be new manufacturing plants (in India) coming on line soon.

I think the advantages have been pretty well canvassed on TF over the last couple of years. The higher per-battery costs are significantly offset by requiring fewer of them. I am attracted by the higher re-charge rate/shorter genset ( & alternator) running times; and by their apparent robustness.

I think it would be great to have the ability of the battery bank to accept 100%C or even greater... and then discharge down 20%C.... But when I do the math, 500 A/H bank of FFs will cost about $ 2500. AGMs 800 A/H bank same useful capacity devices to will accept 50%C at a cost of about 2k The cost to me is not in the Batteries but what will charge them, 200 amp Alternator, 150 amp inverter charger? These are typical high current charging devices The AGMS will accept their output also. It seems just to take advantage of a higher charge rate of LIfePos or FFs you're going to have to spend $$$ on charge devices that can produce the high current these batteries can absorb. Maybe if weight and space are an issue they make sense...

I already have those 'high charging' devices in place: 120A + 160A alternators combined via a Balmar CenterFielder with all output going to the House bank; and a 120A Victron inverter/charger. I think I could replace my x8 golf carts with 4 x FF's given their re-charge times & DoD. Remember also that FF's claim x2 the cycles of flooded golf carts....so over the life of a battery bank, that makes them actually cheaper. Others seem to be doing the same calculation, hence the demand.

AQ
What is the cost of a good golf cart battery in your area?

Crown 235Ah golf carts are around $240 each. I expect my House bank to last 7 years, maybe 8 with these.

Yeah, 7-8 years for a decent FLA battery bank seems normal if not abused. Firefly batteries made in India sounds interesting. The Asian market could prove huge. And maybe bring prices down.

Compare prices online. I also noticed that the price was cheaper if you bought a “set” for the “golf cart”, that is 4 of them. Also try to find a golf cart maintenance yard in your area. They won’t have a classic retail store, but more like the parts department of an auto dealership type place.

#1 Not all Sam's locations sell the East Penn made products. If it says 208Ah, at the 20 hour rate, it is not the East Penn made GC2. /QUOTE]

And that was the point I was trying to make in an earlier post, that all things are not created equal. A 208 Ah Deka battery is not of the same manufacture as a Deka 230 Ah battery. The Sam's 208 Ah Deka-made battery is not necessarily a bargain when calculating a per/Ah cost. Of course, if you are okay with a lower number of total Ah's, then, no problem. However, with an eight-battery house bank, the difference is 88 Ah, 44 Ah usable which, to me, is a significant difference.

For comparison, a 230 Ah Deka at Pasco Battery today costs $115 ($.50/Ah) as compared to a Sam's 208 Ah for $90 ($.43/Ah). For an eight-battery bank, that amounts to $60 more for the "genuine" Deka batteries. Assuming an average life span of seven years, that amounts to a cost of $8.60/year for that added 44 Ah of usable current. I'll take that any day, every day.

Trojan T 105s rule [emoji106]

I’ve got Trojan T105RE
Not much mentioned about them on these forums
I called Trajan 4 yrs ago when I installed them, their advice was to go with the “RE” version, some mystery carbon technology, but supposedly happier with the 80% SOG most of us experience. Regular golf cart batteries are usually fully charged at the end of the day. Most boats rarely see this.
The “RE” series stands for renewable energy, designed for use in off the grid systems.
Time will tell but 4 years and no loss of capacity.
Look at their website, the “RE” series has a much longer life span.

Life on the hook 6mnts/yr
1 hr gen charge per day, while I make water
780 watts solar topped off by 2pm most days.
Runs all my goodies incl ice maker and wash machine.

I'm curious, how many Trojan T105REs are in your house bank? I have a similarly-sized boat, room for 1000ish watts of solar, and have similar plans (6 months on the hook) for my boat.

The batt tech is slowly improving as millions are spent in research .
But I think for many boats the refrigeration system is the cause of high electric consumption.

For some folks the improvement in eutetic (cold plate) tech might be enough to allow solar to hold the boat systems , with big power from the main or noisemaker only needed every other day for 30 min or so.

FYI: Stopped in Costco on the south-west side of Jacksonville yesterday. The date on the battteries were 1/19 so they’re pretty fresh. Price for the 6 volt GC2: $93.99 plus a core charge of $15 and a battery fee of $1.50, what ever that is.

Attachments

• 484F1ABC-3CD0-4EE6-911B-2871829DEC4E.jpeg
    484F1ABC-3CD0-4EE6-911B-2871829DEC4E.jpeg
    169.6 KB · Views: 76
FYI: Stopped in Costco on the south-west side of Jacksonville yesterday. The date on the battteries were 1/19 so they’re pretty fresh. Price for the 6 volt GC2: $93.99 plus a core charge of $15 and a battery fee of $1.50, what ever that is.

Batts were $84 at my local Sam's club and only $5 core fee. I had a coupon that saved $5 per battery net IIRC so my OTD price was about $85 plus tax each a bit better than $110.49. If you are buying say 8 batts thats over $200 difference in price. I heard some Sam's clubs charge more for the core fee but that was just rumor.

I'm in the process of replacing two 8D flooded lead acid batteries with six GC2 Golf cart batteries. I want to stay with flooded lead acid. The brands I am looking at all have about the same price for 220 amp hour models. In consideration is Crown, Interstate and Duracell.

Does anyone have experience with these brands that might help me make the best choice?

===

I started out with Trojan T-105s but have subsequently switched to T-145s. They cost significantly more but I'm getting much better life and power out of them. Replacement is a PITA and we use the batteries hard, cruising 6 months at a time, mostly anchored out and running on inverter power much of the day.

Wayne I installed 6 Interstate L16 batteries in my old boat and got 15 years out of them! when they finally needed to be replaced in 2016 I went with the same batteries. I am always careful to keep them full with distilled water, never discharge past 50%, and use a good (Hart) smart charger.

Not much more to say except always gone for the Trojans in the last 3 boats. 14xL16's in the C&L 65, Folowed by 10T105plus in the Cheoy Lee 50. And currently fitting 10 L16's into the new Cheoy Lee 67 I'm refitting.

One thing I do like with Trojan is the depth of the electrolyte over the plates, much more than other manufacturers. Also noted over the years i the lack of outgassing when using there watering systems, ergo less electrolye loss therefore less topping up etc.

Trojans

I replaced 2 8Ds with 6 Trojans on my Mainship 34.
Love em. I’d buy no other.

Trojan

I'm in the process of replacing two 8D flooded lead acid batteries with six GC2 Golf cart batteries. I want to stay with flooded lead acid. The brands I am looking at all have about the same price for 220 amp hour models. In consideration is Crown, Interstate and Duracell.

Does anyone have experience with these brands that might help me make the best choice?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Wayne Prichard
1999 Island Gypsy 32

The golf cart battery of choice in The Villages, Florida is Trojan. There are more than 60,000 golf carts in this retirement community and Trojan is the choice of most golf cart owners. In this community, which covers more than 30 square miles and has over 40 golf courses, golf carts are the preferred method of transportation so reliable, long lasting deep cycle batteries are a must. I just installed a 4KW inverter in my boat and chose the Trojan T1275. These are deep cycle batteries not starting batteries.

I was also quite happy with four Trojan T145s as a house bank in a 42-foot trawler. They replaced some rather short-lived Sam's Club batts.

Back
Top Bottom