Considering This Boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The engine looks ok, i’d Still get an oil analysis. 3208’s should start almost instantly if they crank much more than a second it could be a sign of low compression. They smoke on start up but once warm they clear right up.

Still looks like a lot of boat for the money.

Only thing I would add among all the other replies is that the engine appears to sit low in the bilge. Important to check out the oil pan carefully in case it has been sitting in bilge water and has any corrosion.

Caught my eye but it's alot of boat @ 50' and a 17' beam. I wouldn't be able to store it local to me as most slips are 15'(or less) wide.

That being said if I was looking for a liveaboard/cruiser and wanted on the hook living i'd jump on it.

The engine room is cluttered but it looks like an honest "I'll go down and snap some pictures" vs "I'll clean everything up and take some pictures". I prefer to see things as they are before a boat is "cleaned up"

I have a hobby of searching far and wide for boats even though I'm not buying and this is probably the most boat for the money that i've seen.

Sure looks like it was built out from a "Marine Management" hull mold. That was a Florida east coast outfit that, during the 1970s and 1980s, sold many rugged commercial boats, often delivering them for another yard or end-user to finish as they preferred. If that's what this is, the hull will outlast most of us on this forum.

get videos or skype

When we looked at a boat from distance we asked the seller to walk through and take simple cell phone videos. The whole process probably took him 30 minutes and he could have sent them on to other prospective buyers so we didn't feel bad asking him to do it.

I will add 5000 hrs on a 3208NA if original is greatif the maintenance has been regular. If the hour meter has been changed at some point and the engine is getting on towards re-build time how is it for getting it out of the vessel. They are not too bad cost wise to rebuild by a knowledgeable shop but the engine has to be pulled to do it. Engine does not have sleeves. If you were to purchase and needed to re-build at some point do not use Cat pistons. Go to after market ones with the extra ring. What a difference in oil consumption and I think it improved my mileage a bit when I did it?

Sure looks like it was built out from a "Marine Management" hull mold. That was a Florida east coast outfit that, during the 1970s and 1980s, sold many rugged commercial boats, often delivering them for another yard or end-user to finish as they preferred. If that's what this is, the hull will outlast most of us on this forum.

Did they build their hulls on the Miami River? I remember a company building hulls like that near my store during the time you mentioned.”0

Did they build their hulls on the Miami River? I remember a company building hulls like that near my store during the time you mentioned.”0

Not sure where they were. I had understood someplace around Titusville, but one broker says Medly, Florida, which is down your way in Dade County.

During the '80s and '90s, several Marine Management hulls were in service as party fishing boats, running out of Tampa Bay area docks in Cortez, St. Pete and thereabouts. They were rough and ready, but the operators I knew swore by them for sturdiness.

Looks like a helluva boat for <$50k. The ER looks a little scary with rats nest wiring, shelving w/o fiddles or means to secure stuff. The trouble with what I could see is that it will be a nightmare to trace the wiring and then properly bundle and secure it. You might find a plethora of butt connectors and other lash ups to extend wiring. You might also find unprotected circuits, non-marine wiring. I would advise that you go to the ER and simply sit down and take a long look around, then examine some of the wiring, find out if it is circuit protected and if proper wiring was used. Also look at the plumbing, check the hoses by squeezing them, check the breeze clamps. While you are rooting around in the ER, check the sea cocks.
My impression that she has great bones, looks like it will live well, the 3208 is a great engine, but the ER and associated wiring, draped hoses, wires, etc, give me a little pause.

I love the boat! It's got an unpretentious work boat look that I find very appealing. However, the 50's diner look on the interior is just wrong.:whistling:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom