Bringing parts to repair your boat into BC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gsholz

Vessel Make
Sold-GB 52 Europa, Queenship 59, Tolly 45
We are going to visit our boat in BC and plan on bringing a few replacement / repair parts (alternator, etc) for our boat which is currently moored in BC. Will the parts be subject to duties/sales taxes at the border? What is the best way to do this?

US citizen, I had my boat in Nanaimo, BC and carried a bunch of stuff in my pickup. I had a copy of the boat papers and passing thru customs, explained it was equipment for an American owned boat. No problem, no tax.

Thanks, Lepke. That was what I was looking for. Declare parts and explain that they will be used on an US boat which will leave Canada. I'll bring the boat docs.

Should be no issue. It's personal property and not product for sale. No different from bringing your toothbrush.

I would not say you are bringing in parts to repair your boat. I would only declare that you are not bringing in anything that you plan to leave behind. Odds are they won’t look in your vehicle. If they do, you have not lied. Always say as little as possible, always tell the truth.

I have brought many carloads of boat stuff into Canada on both coasts, probably 50 times over 12 years. I've experimented a bit with what to say. You must remember that customs officials - even Canadian ones - have no sense of humor. Never lie, but never offer more information than is absolutely necessary.

My conclusion is to say "I have only personal stuff, all of it is leaving with me". If they decide to do a strip search you haven't lied. It does not light up any suspicions needing to be explored further. A couple of times I tried "just some parts to install on my boat" and this led to 1/2 hour or more in the office with lengthy explanations, resulting in being allowed through with no taxes or duty. But a goodly delay.

Twice I've come in with the car/truck piled to the roof with stuff. Hard to ignore. Last week was the latest. They tossed the truck completely while I waited in the office, then handed me my keys and passport and said "have a nice day".

I took an SUV packed full with "boat stuff" across the border near Blaine on the way to Sidney.
They were more interested in my Texas drivers license and took a while to convince them I didn't have weapons. They never looked at all the obvious boxes in the back.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll let you know how it went next week.

Back
Top Bottom