Engine Choices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A Cummins 6bt is only 359 cubic inches where Deere and others extract the same ratings from 400 to 450 cubic inches, just something to consider from someone with no horse in the race, I have a Lister Petter 56 cubic inches.

It’s like you guys are getting paid to bash Volvo.

Waiting for my check.

I'm also NOT a Volvo fan and have had bad experience with them. Recently was considering another boat with Volvos. A call to the Volvo distributor convinced me that I just don't want another Volvo.

Parts too high, and availability an issue. Volvo won't talk to mortals and boat owners, unlike the others, so support is poor. And in my area, they are not well represented with good service shops.

There is a reason Volvo is not liked by a lot of people.

Now, a LOT of boats come OEM with Volvos... perhaps Volvo is cutting the boat mfgs deals that they can't resist.

Seevee,
How many parts do you think you’ll need?
I repowered w a Mitsubishi that most people wouldn’t even consider as it’s not very well known. But I think most choose an engine that will bring admiration and respect to it’s owner when mentioned on the dock ect.
In well over 10 years I’ve needed so few parts it probably wouldn’t matter if it were a Volvo. I think the biggest and most expensive thing I bought is a trans oil cooler and of course that had nothing to do w the engine brand.
What does one need to do to need a head gasket? Perhaps I’ve not needed one because I always warm my engine up slowly so engine parts can expand gracefully. And I idle for 5 to 10 minutes for cooldown.
IMO you need to do something wrong to need a head gasket.
Would I put my money where my mouth is and buy a Volvo? Probably if the circumstances were indicating that would be the best choice.

I had a British Leyland 6TX 200 on my previous boat (do not confuse with Lehman) for 15 years and she was 13 years old when I bought the boat. Never missed a beat. I loved that engine.

The problem with Volvo is indeed parts and cost of parts. Whether you need one part in 10 years ot several parts, when you need the part you want it now, not in 10 weeks. 10 weeks here is a huge part of our boating season. Especially with the newer engines like the IPS drive, not only will you have to order parts but you first will have had to wait on a technician with a computer to diagnose it before you can even order the parts. A friend tried to deliver a ST down the east coast last year. They waited weeks for technicians at several stops and weeks for parts and this was a fairly new boat. Sorry, I have not heard anything like this from any other engine manufacturer. Maybe there are other manufacturers that support their products this poorly, but if so no one is talking about it. It really is too bad because the IPS system is pretty neat.

Love our Volvo's but parts are high

Here in the SF Bay area there are lots of Volvo's and parts get here usually within a week. At least the few I have checked on. The prices are higher but I like the design and engineering.

I do my own work and I have worked as a mechanic in a boatyard. Getting access on what you want to work on can be expensive. All the engines I've worked on seemed about the same as far as the hassle factor goes - except the access issue.

I am curious to know what type, and size, of boat you are hoping to power with one of these diesels? ;)

Jim

Seevee,
How many parts do you think you’ll need?
I repowered w a Mitsubishi that most people wouldn’t even consider as it’s not very well known. But I think most choose an engine that will bring admiration and respect to it’s owner when mentioned on the dock ect.
In well over 10 years I’ve needed so few parts it probably wouldn’t matter if it were a Volvo. I think the biggest and most expensive thing I bought is a trans oil cooler and of course that had nothing to do w the engine brand.
What does one need to do to need a head gasket? Perhaps I’ve not needed one because I always warm my engine up slowly so engine parts can expand gracefully. And I idle for 5 to 10 minutes for cooldown.
IMO you need to do something wrong to need a head gasket.
Would I put my money where my mouth is and buy a Volvo? Probably if the circumstances were indicating that would be the best choice.

Nomad,

It it were ONE part that I had to wait several weeks for in 10 years it would be too much. In my case it was two fuel pumps, at $1000 each to 4 months and ruined the season. And a few other nickel dime things that were several hundred dollars. But rarely if any of the parts could be had in less than a week!

For my Yanmar, and my Mercs I could get any part wishing 24 hours and often the same day if I drove over to the supplier or distributor.

That's why I won't have a Volvo. Besides, I just hate the name.... sounds sexist.

Seevee,
Well that’s how we choose our products.
What was the problem w the pumps? It’s interesting that both fuel pumps had the problem .. assuming they had the same problem. How’d that happen?

Re the name the only thing that bothers me is the Penta part. Why not just call them Volvos?
But “sexist”? Don’t even see a whiff of that.

Last edited:
Seevee,
Well that’s how we choose our products.
What was the problem w the pumps? It’s interesting that both fuel pumps had the problem .. assuming they had the same problem. How’d that happen?

Re the name the only thing that bothers me is the Penta part. Why not just call them Volvos?
But “sexist”? Don’t even see a whiff of that.

Fuel pumps, who knows... age, fuel issue or whatever. But at $1000 a pop they are more expensive than aircraft fuel pumps! And to have to wait for them, was brutal.

Volvo or Penta.... I'll pass.

All of them have pros and cons, I have run them all at one time or anther and due to my experience would lean towards thr Cummins, my 6bta was an outstanding powerplant, a little noisy but very good economy, smooth power and parts are reasonably priced as well as readily available. Volvo, as mentioned, tends to be on the costly side for parts including regular maintenance spares and one should be prepared to wait if a part needs to be ordered... Yanmar builds a fine motor and I would certainly own another if the opportunity presented itself.
More important than make of motors is maintenance and condition not only of the engine room but the entire vessel. If I may, I cannot emphasize enough the importance of a good survey, do your due diligence and find a surveyor who is both familier with the make and model of your target boat but is also NOT unaffiliated or recommended by the listing broker, find your own. Depending on your budget you may be shopping for a boat that is 30 years old, maybe more or, perhaps you're flush and looking at boats a couple of years old. Either way, your best line of defense is a good professional surveyor. Good luck

Most here would say buy Cummins but is seems it’s mostly that it’s a decision powered by vogueness among boaters. You appear to know what you’re talking about if you say Cummins Cummins Cummins. God’s boat in Cummins powered.

Cracks me up in boat, truck and for sale forums when folks are so proud of that brand and then write Cummings.... :facepalm:

There are so many factors that goes into choosing an engine that powers a boat. This includes new production models. In a repower rarely is a simple change out of just the engine takes place. Some repowers requires the entire running gear to be modified. and updated. The simple factor of size can truly restrict you to one or two brands.

The engine manufacturers continue to improve their weight ratios , which is a big factor for builders behind modernizing their electronics these days. Of course this is also a downside, to include being hit by lightening which can shut the engine completely down and leaving you dead in the water.

Of course this is just platitudes , but you cannot just say one engine brand is better. The devil in the details. For mid sized boats some of the manufacturers are better, coupled with the consideration of the bottom design. The key issue is for trawlers to not be under powered, in my point of view, even when most hull speeds max out under 10 knots.

Oh as far as pricing, well a cheap or an expensive engine is not worth a damn when it craps out and you cannot get parts and even a mechanic in the timely manner to fix the dang thing.

So if you don't plan on doing an around the world cruise, pick an engine that you can get serviced easily and for sure parts even at your local tractor supply company for us simple guys when going diesel .

Cart before the horse?

Not sure which boat you've settled on, but I simply can't imagine the engine factoring into the purchase decision unless everything else is exactly equal...and that never happens.

My advice...if there are three boats you are looking at, buy the best example of the three regardless of the engine. Most everything about a boat -- condition, location, maintainence, etc. is much more important than which engine it has.

Of course, there are some exceptions. There are a few (very few) engines out there that have been troublesome over the years. Caterpillar 3116/3126 is a notable example.

There are also "underpowered" considerations. Several manufacturers (Carver for one) have offered 'price-point' engine options which leave the boat under-powered, unable to ever get up on plane, which results in these boats leaving huge wakes and burning up their engines prematurely.

Each of the engines you mentioned are excellent. I have personal experience with 6BTA and 6LYA, and a veteran professional diesel mechanic freind of mine swears by his Volvos.

Buy the best boat and learn to love the engines it comes with...

Last edited:
Thanks to all who have replied I very much appreciate it ����⛴

Riverguy,
Great post .. #45
Keep’em comming

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom