Boat lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I fully understand the purpose of the lights as far as identifying the type of vessel. However, I'm not sure what my vessel as configured could be confused as. White light on transom 3' above water line and another white 15' above water line.

My transom light is rather low and could vanish to an overtaking vessel in the seas. I want to be SEEN without screwing up my night vision or confusing other vessels.

Nothing against the rules leaving my aft facing flood light on, so I don't see a big deal with the low transom light being on.

Not trying to be argumentative, or claiming that I am doing right. Just was always confused by this and the rules seemed less than clear.

Not trying to be a jerk (ok,maybe just a little, but this is the internet).
You ask what your boat might be confused for.
Your vessel as seen from directly aft, with the lights as you have them now, would indicate a vessel over 50 meters in length, at anchor. Probably not very likely, but......

You say there is nothing against the rules about leaving your aft flood light on, but rule 20(a) specifically prohibits showing that light while underway.

If you added a forward facing masthead (steaming) light to your side lights and stern light while underway, and only used your all-round light when at anchor, your boat would be correct, regardless if you are just over or just under 12 meters.

I would have several concerns showing the wrong light display. First is my legal liability and insurance liability. The insurance companies will spend a lot of time determining liability. Second would be my personal regrets if a collision happens and I knew beforehand that my boat was not correct, how do you go back and change it? I think I would find a way to make the lighting legal and then find a way to shield your stern from the unwanted light.

So, y'all are saying I am better off with my vessel poorly visible from aft?

Show some cabin lights. Some of mine are dim, perfect to show especially when anchored since the anchor light is two-three stories high.

Nothing against the rules leaving my aft facing flood light on, so I don't see a big deal with the low transom light being on.

Well, maybe there is...

Rule 20, b)" The Rules concerning lights shall be complied with from sunset to sunrise, and during such times no other lights shall be exhibited, except
such lights as cannot be mistaken for the lights specified in these Rules or
do not impair their visibility or distinctive character, or interfere with the
keeping of a proper look-out. "

An aft-facing floodlight pretty much obliterates any running lights as seen from astern of you...not? I don't disagree with improving visibility from astern- a flood light is hard to miss, but eyes astern won't see much else.

Last edited:

Nope. Run what you think you should. We all make our own choices and deal with the consequences, if any.

We ran at night with a stupidly bright light bar on the bow. I know oncoming vessels couldn’t see anything but that light. I tried to turn it off when I knew there was a boat in front of us, but I hate running blind in this area with all the logs and crap in the water, so I may have waited too long to douse it at times.

Because I’m designing and building inspected passenger vessels I am dealing with these regs all the time, and I struggle with the lack of real-world applicablility, but I don’t get to pick and choose which regs I follow.

Here you go....we are all required to have the rules and regs handbook. Here's the relevant page

Attachments

• 2019-03-22_20_15_11-700x417.jpg
    2019-03-22_20_15_11-700x417.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 55
Here is a head-scratcher regarding boat measurements.

Our Great Harbour TT35 came equipped with one all-round light and the forward nav lights, as required for boats under 40 feet.

The builder's specs claim the LOA is 35'8". The builder's specs also claim the boat's Length At Waterline is 34'1".

Our survey states the LOA is 43'2" boat (outboards up), and we measured with outboards lowered that it is 14 inches shorter at 42'.

Our survey also states that the Length At Waterline (outboards up) is 40'8".

We watched our surveyor measure the boat and his measurements are accurate. The builder claimed his measurements are accurate because all boat builders only measure the hull.

So which Length measurement is supposed to be used for compliance with the regulations?

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley

Most likely you can go by the registered length and be ok, but I think I would go with the measured length and change the lights accordingly. Not a huge deal on most boats to modify the lights.

Here is a head-scratcher regarding boat measurements.

Our Great Harbour TT35 came equipped with one all-round light and the forward nav lights, as required for boats under 40 feet.

The builder's specs claim the LOA is 35'8". The builder's specs also claim the boat's Length At Waterline is 34'1".

Our survey states the LOA is 43'2" boat (outboards up), and we measured with outboards lowered that it is 14 inches shorter at 42'.

Our survey also states that the Length At Waterline (outboards up) is 40'8".

We watched our surveyor measure the boat and his measurements are accurate. The builder claimed his measurements are accurate because all boat builders only measure the hull.

So which Length measurement is supposed to be used for compliance with the regulations?

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley
In Canada it is the length of the hull for requirements but marinas charge by oal.

I'm really flabbergasted by all the confusion!

We are all REQUIRED to carry a copy of the rules aboard.

We are obliged to have read and understand them, too.

The description of what lights are required, as linked above, is really straightforward. There are simple, pretty pictures, too!

The attitude that any boat owner doesn't feel obliged to comply with the rules is equivalent to shouting a big F### YOU to every other vessel out there.

Actually only boats over 12 meters or 39.4’ are required to carry a copy of the Nav Rules. But everyone is responsible to follow the rules.

So the only issue is that my masthead light is visible from astern. If it was blacked out aft to the correct degrees, combined with the stern light, that would be ok.

Or I could run with no stern light and keep the all-around masthead.

I think I will just keep things as is. Stern light and all around on the radar mast. I'd rather be seen than having that light partially blacked out aft.

If I get a ticket, so be it.

It would probably be pretty easy to just remove the bulb from the stern light...

We're slightly longer and need the separate stern light... so our mast light is on a two-way rocker switch; one way illuminates the masthead (steaming) light only, and the other way powers the all-round white (anchor) light. That would be a slightly less easy fix, but maybe not onerous.

FWIW, I don't think too much about the risk of ticket... more about what the report (USCG, insurance) would say about lighting after any sort of accident... no matter who's at fault... and no matter whether lights had anything to do with anything at all...

Our previous boat, bought new, under 12M, was delivered with lights configured as yours. The dealer network was surprised when I insisted they fix it... but they did it.

-Chris

Last edited:
These navigation lights always got my full attention.

Attachments

• FD8052BB-E629-4062-9041-F1E340B3E973.jpeg
    FD8052BB-E629-4062-9041-F1E340B3E973.jpeg
    85.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
As I remember, boats over a certin length (most here on this forum) are required to have the COLREGs aboard. There was a move afoat to allow them in electronic forn vice paper, but I am not up to date on that.

Yes, you can have the Nav Rules in an electronic format in a smartphone or tablet.

Back
Top Bottom