Cleaning white fenders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We've always had white fenders on our boats until we bought this one. The large main fenders are all black (we have extras for rafting and storms that are white). Although on hot days they can be very warm to the touch, we will probably opt for black moving forward as they don't ever appear dirty.

best cleaner

acetone will dissolve the outer vinyl layer. no more shine

Best bet: Home Depot Zepp Purple industrial cleaner. stains just fall off.

WHite fenders

Bleachy White, the stuff used to clean white wall tires works great. Have used it for years. Any auto parts store has it, cheap and easy.

If you go to any car paint supplies place they will sell you a roll of 'Stockinette' (Its very cheap). You can leave it au naturel or dye it whatever colour you want. Cut a length slightly longer than your fender, it's a tube so open it, slide it over your fender and use a plastic tie wrap top and bottom. At the end of the season, or when they get very dirty just cut 'em off and replace them and your fenders will stay clean.

Magic Eraser

We've had good luck with Magic Eraser.

This Admiral is not a fan of scrubbing the black stuff off fenders so here’s what I did. I washed them with Dawn, a green pad, and let them dry. Then I spray painted them with Fushion paint, the kind you would use to refurbish lawn furniture. Comes in a spray can from the hardware store for about $4.00. Comes in only a few colors. Our fenders are the kind where the line goes through so I hung them on the lifelines to dry after spraying them on newspaper on the dock. Roll around to get all sides. Came back in 24 hrs with a second coat. After al,ost 3 years they still look new but a little dirty. So the plan is to repaint them this year again. In my case it was either paint them or throw them away they were so bad. This paint covers well the black tarry stuff from the docks. It was a miracle. Our neighbor sprayed hers navy and they look great after 2 years. Every once in a while we need something easy. This is it.

cleaning fenders

Slightly off topic but can anyone tell me the advantages or benefits of center hole fenders vs double tie end fenders? Assume that I chose the recommended size of each, why one vs the other?

LA's Awesome Cleaner . A spray bottle full at the Dollar store is $1.00. A 16 oz bottle if concentrate is $1.00...but no sprayer. It works wonders and works well in the engine room cleaning spilled diesel and engine oil. Makes the stainless steel in the galley look great too! Even takes stains out of the upholstery.

While at all times paying attention to product biogradeable properties. Goes w/out saying I assume but haven’t checked out gojo yet.

Clean fenders

I venture up and down the Welland canal and my large fender balls take a beating, best thing I’ve used is 900 grit wet dry sandpaper with some soap and water , does a great job with no harsh chemicals

I have a number of fenders I have fished out of the rivers and marina. I take them home, toss it in the washtub in the basement with some dawn dishwashing liquid and a little bleach. turn them after a day or so, rinse them off, they look great. when they are dry, put some vinyl protectant on them and you are good to go..

I know folks will have preferences but on our trawler the fenders with the holes can be mounted sideways to protect from dock poles. And they can be hung vertically behind fender boards

Whatever you do, do not use any abrasive at all. Abrasives scratch, however gentle they may seem, into which dirt collects more quickly than before.

If you go to any car paint supplies place they will sell you a roll of 'Stockinette' (Its very cheap). You can leave it au naturel or dye it whatever colour you want. Cut a length slightly longer than your fender, it's a tube so open it, slide it over your fender and use a plastic tie wrap top and bottom. At the end of the season, or when they get very dirty just cut 'em off and replace them and your fenders will stay clean.

It seems like Amazon has a very large selection of it too in different widths. They are selling it as a bandage material. Some vendors have different colors.

I dunno, most of what we've had to clean off is ground in... not a surface discoloration...

-Chris

Cleaning Fenders

Most of the products indicated work quite well. However, once used they remove the protective surface of the fenders and periodic waxing it then required.
I use 3-M Magic Erasers. They work well on the fenders and also on the RIB and do not tend to remove the finish.
That said, an occasional coat of wax on the fenders is always a good idea.
Doug
Note... Magic erasers are abrasive and you have to be careful on surfaces that you don't want fine scratches.
Also most waxes are petroleum based and not the best on vinyl. I use & recommend 303 Protectant as it sheds dirt and has UV protectant + water based and safe for rubber & vinyl

Last edited by a moderator:
If looking for inexpensive covers I've seen inexpensive XXL sweat pants (W-World) used... legs make 2 cylinder fender covers and waist makes a fender ball cover. And they come in different colors

It seems like Amazon has a very large selection of [Stockinette] too in different widths. They are selling it as a bandage material. Some vendors have different colors.

I looked it up too. It looks pretty stretchy. Anyone have a recommendation as to which width to buy for various size fenders?

Back
Top Bottom