Yirego foot-powered washing machine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Uncleg44

Veteran Member
Does anyone have experience with Yirego Drumi foot-powered washing machine? It will wash only small loads, but may be useful when traveling to remote anchorages, etc.
Thanks,
George

Better ask your mate for she might be the one pedaling LOL

I'm sure you could make your admiral very happy giving that to her on her birthday or maybe your anniversary. Seriously though, it would seem that someone should be able to rig a 12 VDC motor to that and plug it in or run it off a solar panel.

Ted

The first widespread use of small gasoline motors was for clothes washing machines.

Does anyone have experience with Yirego Drumi foot-powered washing machine? It will wash only small loads, but may be useful when traveling to remote anchorages, etc.
Thanks,
George

My Grandmother had a gas powered washing machine. It as started with a foot pedal much like a motorcycle. As a small boy, I can remember being fascinated by this machine. Then civilization came to that area, and Grandma bought an electric powered version.

A manual powered washer would be even worse. If Uncleg's Significant Other is reading this, PM me, and I will send you the name of a good divorce lawyer.:lol:

My Grandmother had a gas powered washing machine. It as started with a foot pedal much like a motorcycle. As a small boy, I can remember being fascinated by this machine. Then civilization came to that area, and Grandma bought an electric powered version.

A manual powered washer would be even worse. If Uncleg's Significant Other is reading this, PM me, and I will send you the name of a good divorce lawyer.:lol:

I recall my dad having an old gas engine for a washing machine. It never did work.

Thanks,
George

Hey, I like the idea of this.

Foot power is not the issue. I'm fine with exercise. Just wondering how effective the Yirego actually is as a washing machine. Does it adequately clean clothes?

Until I saw the price, I thought the real question would be about whether the thing can actually stand up to pedal action over time.

OTOH, Amazon says $359. Amazon also has a similar "Wonderwash" for $48. (I didn't look closer at the latter for features, etc. Amazon shows several other similar items, too, all for less $$$.)

Looks like in the Drumi demo video, she put in a total of one sweater. I'd think that'd make it OK for a small load of underwear, maybe a couple T-shirts, etc. Not a bad way to get through until the next real laundromat -- or laundry facilities at a marina -- hoves into view.

OTOH, for that kind of scratch I can probably slosh stuff around by hand in the galley sink easily enough instead... even if a "spin dry" would be useful.

-Chris

IMG_5738.JPG

And a bucket

I've tried a couple of these types of machines (the Wonderwasher and the Avanti). They do soak the clothes and sort of wash them, but the big thing that is missing compared to what you are used to at home is the spin cycle. The clothes come out of these dripping, soaking wet. You can wring them but they will still take a very long time to dry. Modern horizontals spin at 1400 rpm (even a Spendide) and this has two beneficial effects: the rinse is more water efficient (less soapy water in the clothes when you start rinsing) and they dry much faster.

Rather than spend the $350 on that, I think you'd better off spending half that on a spin dryer. These will run from an inverter or genset easily, and will save far more labor and time (and water). Use a bucket and plunger for washing.

If your a roughie toughie get a string bag, put your clothes in it, tie it on a rope and hang it overboard overnight. (works for peeling potatoes too)Recover your clothes, rinse in fresh water and hang to dry. You MAY still be married next year.
Alternatively buy a 4KG Candy washing machine, an inverter and you'll STILL be married next year.
A happy life is a happy wife !

Thanks. all,
I'm going with a 5 gallon bucket and adapted plunger to wash/rinse: a commercial salad spinner to spin dry. KISS!

Thanks,
George

If you ever tow a dinghy, you can do laundry by putting it in the dinghy, adding a bit of water and soap, and 20 miles later the clothes will be as clean as if you ran them through a wash.

Thanks. all,
I'm going with a 5 gallon bucket and adapted plunger to wash/rinse: a commercial salad spinner to spin dry. KISS!

so:

Attachments

• Mobile-Washer.jpg
    Mobile-Washer.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 904
The Old Fashioned Way:

Attachments

• bucket.jpg
    bucket.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 123
Thanks,
George

I notice she also has a solar-powered clothes dryer!

I know we've all been teasing you a bit but if you go to a child's nursery type shop they sell plastic buckets with a clip/screw on lid for old fashioned terry cloth babies nappies/diapers.
if you put in your clothes with some fresh water and detergent and hang it over the side when you anchor/tie up the wave action will wash your clothes overnight.
If you put your potatoes/carrots in the string shopping bag and hang it overboard while you have a slow cruise that definitely works, cook the veggies in sea water to save your fresh and they taste good.

What Century

are you guys living in? Still up to "the wife" to do things you should be helping with. Join the 21st century.

are you guys living in? Still up to "the wife" to do things you should be helping with. Join the 21st century.

no I will not

Thanks, Jeffk,
As a single guy, I've been self-sufficient for many years. I was amused that "wifey" and "admiral" were incorporated into many of the responses, although my original post never referenced a significant other. That said, I appreciate the helpful responses I've received.
G

Hey, I got her a new flat Rock to use down at the river. What more could I do?

Our home dryer is solar and wind driven. Sustainable wood clothes line pegs too.:)

I couldnt get past the word "clothes" and was wondering if wood cloths would chafe in the groin area?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom