What do you look for in a boat shoe/sandal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for all your input guys....I'm not voicing any opinions (even though I have them!) just gathering info and trying not to influence people. At some point, in some other thread I might chime in on what 20 years of selling outdoor footwear has taught me, but not here.

Great info from everyone, and I really appreciate it.

Doug

Perhaps not quite in the spirit of this discussion, but has anybody noticed how Sperry Topsiders (mocs) have changed over the years. It used to be the bottoms were white, very grippy, and lasted well.
Now they are grey and get quite slippery over a few months of use. The soles seem to be made of a harder material that develops a shiny slippy surface. I have actually taken a couple of falls related to this phenomenon. Perhaps this is just the chinafication of boat shoes??
Chris

Chrisjs wrote:
Perhaps not quite in the spirit of this discussion, but has anybody noticed how Sperry Topsiders (mocs) have changed over the years. It used to be the bottoms were white, very grippy, and lasted well.
Now they are grey and get quite slippery over a few months of use. The soles seem to be made of a harder material that develops a shiny slippy surface. I have actually taken a couple of falls related to this phenomenon. Perhaps this is just the chinafication of boat shoes??
Chris
*Mine have worn out quickly.* They get smooth and slippery like Croc.* I wore Croc's exclusively for over two years but all of a sudden I started to have an Achilles heel problem.* Stopped the Croc's and went back to Sperry's and the problem cleared up after a couple of months.* Found a pair of Croc's in the closet just a few months ago.* Decided to try them again.* After about a week the tendon started to act up again.* So they are now gone.

JD wrote:Chrisjs wrote:
Chris
*Mine have worn out quickly.* They get smooth and slippery like Croc.* I wore Croc's exclusively for over two years but all of a sudden I started to have an Achilles heel problem.* Stopped the Croc's and went back to Sperry's and the problem cleared up after a couple of months.* Found a pair of Croc's in the closet just a few months ago.* Decided to try them again.* After about a week the tendon started to act up again.* So they are now gone.

*Usually an achillies problem is related to an activity that puts a lot of strain on the muscles in the back of the leg, especially the calf.* Crocs are super cushioned but offer little to no support.* Their design also forces you to grab them with your toes to keep them on.* This causes your calf to tighten.* That could be what is happening with your achillies.

Support isn't always a good thing though, many studies are showing that it actually weakens the foot and legs over time.* Kind of like walking on a crutch.

Dougcole wrote:
*Usually an achillies problem is related to an activity that puts a lot of strain on the muscles in the back of the leg, especially the calf.* Crocs are super cushioned but offer little to no support.* Their design also forces you to grab them with your toes to keep them on.* This causes your calf to tighten.* That could be what is happening with your achillies.

Support isn't always a good thing though, many studies are showing that it actually weakens the foot and legs over time.* Kind of like walking on a crutch.
*Thanks Doug

Chrisjs wrote:
*Chris - They would do the same back in the 80's when stopped wearing them.* Some people say take a grinder to them to get to softer sole material..I say for the price...cheap sneakers are a better deal. The slit soles have NEVER been a good idea for traction...any tires out there with the same design? :)

Those slits in the soles are called siping. The "invisible" ones (that appear when you flex the outsole) are called razor cut siping. They are more effective in my opinion than the open sipes. They were invented by the man who started sperry. The story is that he noticed his dog slipped less on the deck than he did, so he felt the pads of his dogs paws. They are rough in one direction, smooth in the other. I don't know if this is true or not, my lab slips around on the deck a lot, but it is an interesting story.

Some tire companies actually will sipe your tires for a little extra $. I've never tried it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it works. I would think it would reduce the lifespan of the tire, though. Tires are under a lot more stress than a shoe sole.

Dougcole wrote:The story is that he noticed his dog slipped less on the deck than he did, so he felt the pads of his dogs paws. They are rough in one direction, smooth in the other. I don't know if this is true or not, my lab slips around on the deck a lot, but it is an interesting story.

Some tire companies actually will sipe your tires for a little extra $. I've never tried it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it works. I would think it would reduce the lifespan of the tire, though. Tires are under a lot more stress than a shoe sole.
Some tire companies*call them Siping*and they are already in the tire new from the factory.* I think Cooper Tire does.

As far as the dogs paws go that is true.* The pad is smooth in one direction and rough in the other.* On dogs with long hair, when the hair gets long between the pads it then gets between the pad and the surface.* So trimming your dogs hair will improve his traction.* This happens to dogs that are inside a lot because the hair doesn't get a chance to wear off.* Another problem is long toe nails which is also related more*to inside dogs.*When the dog walks across the hardwood floors or kitchen floor you should not hear their nails ticking on the floor.*When the nails are to long*and the dog uses his natural instant to grip with*the nails, if to long*they*are more in touch with the surface than the pads.* This will cause the dog to slide around on a surface as well.*You might check both hair and nails*on you Lab.

I have been buying these for about 4 years now. *I hate shoes that I have to "break-in". *these are amazing, I wear them probably 360 days a year! *But the soles will mark the deck. *My two cents says if you want to design a nice sandal go buy a pair of these, model your insole off of them and design a sole that won't mark the deck. And they have great traction. These look great new and even better when you geat some wear on them. *I like the cloth covering on the insole as opposed to plain rubber/foam. *I will get them wet but if I'm going ashore with the dogs or to explore a beach I try to put on my water shoes. *But these slip on easily, stay on very well due to the shape, and did I mention comfort? *I wear them nearly everyday at some point. *I usually buy them 2 pair at a time because I usually break the thong part that goes between the toes and I hate having to wear tennis shoes or the like until I can buy another pair.

http://www.teva.com/productdetails.aspx?g=m&productID=6111&model=Agate%20Thong

-- Edited by twiisted71 on Thursday 9th of February 2012 04:37:44 PM

Chrisjs wrote:
Perhaps not quite in the spirit of this discussion, but has anybody noticed how Sperry Topsiders (mocs) have changed over the years.

Yes.* My last pair became downright dangerous as their soles got very hard and were like walking on grease.* This was what motivated me to try the REI insoles in the Seabaggo shoes I had bought years earlier.* I will not be buying any Sperry shoes again.

-- Edited by Marin on Thursday 9th of February 2012 04:39:17 PM

The WORST, by far, sandals I've ever owned were Berkenstocks. The so-called moulding to my foot feature seemed to do exactly the opposite, and after wearing them for a number of weeks I was almost crippled. They were also the most expensive sandals I've ever purchased.

For active boaters "Boat Shoes" are just that , worn on board , never ashore as debris in the soft bottom will carry aboard and mar many surfaces.

They also wear out rapidly on shore surfaces due to the soft sticky bottom.

Real boat shoes for active boaters, traction and the lacing system is critical.

Good traction is useless if the shoes come off!!

Sandals might not really be suitable for moving boats , however that will hardly diminish your market.

The vast majority of boats , esp larger than 25ft boats are simple dockside cottages.

Seldom moved the real market is for shoes with modest traction for WET painted wood docks , good long term wear on concrete and hard enough not to pick pebbles or sand.

They should bottom clean with a simple foot movement on a mat.

-- Edited by FF on Friday 10th of February 2012 05:10:17 AM

Dougcole wrote:
Those slits in the soles are called siping. The "invisible" ones (that appear when you flex the outsole) are called razor cut siping. They are more effective in my opinion than the open sipes. They were invented by the man who started sperry. The story is that he noticed his dog slipped less on the deck than he did, so he felt the pads of his dogs paws. They are rough in one direction, smooth in the other. I don't know if this is true or not, my lab slips around on the deck a lot, but it is an interesting story.

That may be your opinion but after a lifetime on boats..I stopped buying Sperry shoes back in the early 80s because I thought the slit sole were the most dangerous thing I ever wore on a boat.

I think the slits were a marketing tool to convince boaters that the slit's wouldn't pick stuff up and mar your decks...evey pair was the worst traction I ever had.

Pay a tire company to do something I have NEVER heard them market as a great safety feature?* I don't think THEY even think that.

-- Edited by psneeld on Friday 10th of February 2012 05:42:17 AM

psneeld wrote:Dougcole wrote:

That may be your opinion but after a lifetime on boats..I stopped buying Sperry shoes back in the early 80s because I thought the slit sole were the most dangerous thing I ever wore on a boat.

I think the slits were a marketing tool to convince boaters that the slit's wouldn't pick stuff up and mar your decks...evey pair was the worst traction I ever had.

Pay a tire company to do something I have NEVER heard them market as a great safety feature?* I don't think THEY even think that.

-- Edited by psneeld on Friday 10th of February 2012 05:42:17 AM

*I probably didn't state myself too well...there are two kinds of siping, open (wavy grooves in the sole) and razor cut (the invisible ones that open when you flex the sole) what I was saying is that I think razor cut works better than open siping.* I wasn't passing an opinion at all on wether siping works, just comparing one type to another.

I saw the siping add on at Discount Tires a few years back, I didn't try it, and I don't know if they still do it.* I only noticed it because of my career history in water based footwear.* I was pointing out that some tire companies do, or did it.* Again, no intended endorsment for or against it.

Many years back I worked for Rockport when they developed what was the first "technical" boat shoe.* It was called the Hydrosport.* It had a mostly smooth (no sipes at all) outsole that relied on the stickiness of the rubber compound for traction.* It gripped really well, but it didn't sell very well.* Ahead of its time, most likely.

-- Edited by Dougcole on Friday 10th of February 2012 06:37:17 AM

My main gripe with most models by Sperry and a few others is that the stitching on the top of the shoe feels like a hacksaw blade on the inside. If I remember right it wasn't like that years ago. For me they are ok with socks but not barfefoot.
Steve W

Doug, when are you going to tell us who you work for?

Steve wrote:
My main gripe with most models......
* * * * My main gripe is those damn rawhide laces always coming undone!

****** I've finally started wetting them thoroughly with water, tying a very tight granny knot in them & cutting off the ends!!!

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Friday 10th of February 2012 01:05:47 PM

SeaHorse II wrote:
* * * * My main gripe is those damn rawhide laces always coming undone!

****** I've finall started wetting them thoroughly with water, tying a granny knot in them & cutting off the ends!!!

*Yes my gripe too, I usually superglue the knot but your solution is cheaper.
biggrin.gif

SeaHorse II wrote:
* cutting off the ends!!!

*What the heck are those ends, The little tape things called?

SD*

HopCar wrote:
Doug, when are you going to tell us who you work for?
*I'm an independent rep.* I actually work for two footwear companies, Keen and Vibram Five Fingers.

Keen is considering expanding their boat shoe presence.

I used to sell to Hopkins Carter, actually.* I was the Sportif rep for Florida for many years.

Living in Charleston SC (where Boeing is very welcome) we like to keep our feet cool. So the perfect shoe would be easy on, like an old pair of classic TopSiders, non skid, some support, ability to dry quickly, non-marking, good looking. I agree boat shoes should only be worn on the boat, but in an imperfect world they sometimes go ashore.
I have a pair of Mephesto loafers that are wonderful, but the sole broke down and they need to be resoled. I didn't get more than 20,000 miles out of them.

George

METAFORA
Sabre 36
Charleston, SC

Doug, I had to look up Keen Shoes to see what they are all about. Looks like a nice broad line of technical and work shoes.
Only three mens styles for sailing and one womans. I really liked the looks of the Turia shoe. If they expand the boating shoe line I'd like to take a look at it. I would love it if they made some really wide shoes. Right now it looks like Dunham is the only company that makes really wide boat shoes.

Vibram Five Fingers! Those are the shoes that God told Al Bundy to make! Sorry, you probably hate hearing that.

I've been wearing a pair of Keen sandals almost non-stop for about three years and love them. Don't know the style other than open toed; nothing fancy to look at I suppose but well built and very comfortable. Even wear them occasionally on the boat. They still look brand new.

skipperdude wrote:SeaHorse II wrote:

SD*

*Aglets.

I like different boat footwear for different uses and seasons.*

Winter boat shoe:* Leather uppers, non-marking soles, warm and good traction.*

Summer boat shoe: ventilated synthetic uppers for cooling, non-marking soles, good traction, lightweight for comfort.

Summer dinghy/water use:* Teva style sandal (I like Columbia brand) with open toes, comfortable leather straps, able to get wet and stay on feet comfortably without slipping, good traction on non-marking soles.*

I don't care so much the color of the sole, but if they're dark, they should be clearly labelled "non-marking sole."

In all cases, comfort is my highest priority, followed by durability, price and appearance.*

You wouldn't catch me dead wearing sandals with socks!!*

dwhatty wrote:skipperdude wrote:SeaHorse II wrote:

SD*

*Aglets.

*Floogle Binders.

I've used these for years and love them. http://zeppro.com/home.html

They have non-skid on the sole and upper surface. My original pair of sperry flip-flops would stick to the deck very nicely, but my foot would slip out all the time. These are very durable.

In the summer, good weather, I wear a pair of Keens sandals with a closed toe and heel strap.

The rest of the time I wear a pair of SPerry Topsiders. These are all the time shoes including washing the boat and on land. The first pair i bought was a test. I'm particularily carefull about the grip on wet docks and am on my second pair now in 2 1/2 years. One does still need to be carefull as the docks, when wet, can be greasy from algae in the rainy season but these shoes work well.

Interesting thread. I have a nice pair of slip on boat shoes with what I'd call a "sling" back.* I think they may be*North*Face. *They are on the boat and I pretty much never wear them.* I wear sneakers*most of the time so when I get to the boat I just leave them on.* Even with black soles I have never had my sneaks mark up the boat.* Come summer I like to kick off my shoes and go barefoot.* I have some sperry top siders I wear to work as a change from sneaks.* Didn't buy them for the boat.* I have some crocs but I keep them at home as slip ons to wear outside around the house, hardly ever take them to the boat.* I find them slippery.* I'd have to agree with Bess, if you can make boat shoes as comfortable as sneakers I'll wear them. Until then, not so much...

My boating shoe of choice has always been whatever I am wearing that day. Fortunately, none of them has left marks on deck. My current selection is either Merrell hiking boots with Vibram rubber soles, or Teva sandals (no socks).*

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom