Crowd Sourced Data - ActiveCaptain/Waterway guide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FootballFan

Vessel Name
Mersea
Vessel Make
Marquis 59
Years ago when AC first started I jumped on. Was a wonderful repository of data from people all over.

Now when I look at AC data, seems like not nearly as much information is getting posted. Is it just me? Do others see less information coming in?

After BlueChart quit updating, I started using AquaMap - Started seeing Waterway Guide information show up.

Does anyone use Waterway guide crowdsourced information?

Do you post your cruising observations on any crowdsource tool? If yes, where?

Finally - since we are on the topic of crowd sourced data, Navionics started the process of collecting depth readings from people who opted in and publishing charts with crowd sourced information.

Does anyone use these? Do you contribute your data?

Looks like Garmin is headed the same direction with the AC platform.

Thoughts? Experiences?

I really liked the pathway with what AC initially started with - but it seems it is slowing down after Garmin came in.

Unfortunately Active Captain is now owned by Garmin and Navionics products are now the only way I know of to update or post new data. SEAiq no longer supports new AC data and although Aqua Map supports AC updates, there is no way to update or add a review within the Aqua Map app. The only way is to use the web based Navionics Chartviewer.

So with fewer sources of new data, there is no wonder that AC seems stale, because it is. I predict it will slowly die a well deserved death.

David

If you look at the Panama City, Fl marinas, you will see an update I posted on Active Captain late last year using my AC account. It showed up next day when I synched up my Coastal Explorer.

Only way I know of to enter data into the AC database is the website interface via a browser.

I am just starting to use the Active Captain app on my pad, still figuring it out. Not sure a person could add entries there.

Yes, there's been a definite decrease in the posting activity on AC. It started slowing before Garmin. The owner offended enough people and then focused on eboatcards. He also became very facebook oriented. Then Garmin was slow in getting the new site working and didn't push for posts.

I still use CA and still check the reviews and see a few new ones here and there. I have posted and stopped only due to the behavior of the previous owner.

I have also used the information on Waterway Guide and Cruisers Net. Before approaching an area, I check all three publications.

Jeff was right in one regard, the future of crowd sourcing. It's a wonderful way to share information.

Years ago when AC first started I jumped on. Was a wonderful repository of data from people all over.

Now when I look at AC data, seems like not nearly as much information is getting posted. Is it just me? Do others see less information coming in?

After BlueChart quit updating, I started using AquaMap - Started seeing Waterway Guide information show up.

Finally - since we are on the topic of crowd sourced data, Navionics started the process of collecting depth readings from people who opted in and publishing charts with crowd sourced information.

Thoughts? Experiences?

I really liked the pathway with what AC initially started with - but it seems it is slowing down after Garmin came in.

Based on this posting, I just went into Active Captain to add reviews of the many spots we anchored in along the Illinois and Tenn-Tom. I think what I had to contribute will be of value to other boaters as we anchored in many places that, based on the very few past reviews, compared to some of the more popular anchorages, are probably passed by by many. I kept a log of our travels along the Great Loop and used it to add content on AC. I will be adding more in the near future. I posted by logging into my account on Garmin Active Captain. It wasn't difficult to do so. While doing so through an app might be easier for some I did not find doing it directly on the AC website to be burdensome.

As to boaters spurning making contributions to Active Captain, I do understand how and why most folks gat away from being contributors. I would encourage others to take up the pen in the future because I think it remains a valuable resource and clearinghouse. I do not care that the prior owner was "fill-in-the-blank" or that some have no confidence in Garmin.

And, speaking of Garmin, Garmin did not foul up the integration and updating of the Active Captain database. Having worked in data base and software development, I can assure everyone, that integration is difficult and fraught with unforeseen obstacles. In my opinion, Garmin got it all done in a reasonable amount of time.

Based on this posting, I just went into Active Captain to add reviews of the many spots we anchored in along the Illinois and Tenn-Tom. I think what I had to contribute will be of value to other boaters as we anchored in many places that, based on the very few past reviews, compared to some of the more popular anchorages, are probably passed by by many. I kept a log of our travels along the Great Loop and used it to add content on AC. I will be adding more in the near future. I posted by logging into my account on Garmin Active Captain. It wasn't difficult to do so. While doing so through an app might be easier for some I did not find doing it directly on the AC website to be burdensome.

As to boaters spurning making contributions to Active Captain, I do understand how and why most folks gat away from being contributors. I would encourage others to take up the pen in the future because I think it remains a valuable resource and clearinghouse. I do not care that the prior owner was "fill-in-the-blank" or that some have no confidence in Garmin.

And, speaking of Garmin, Garmin did not foul up the integration and updating of the Active Captain database. Having worked in data base and software development, I can assure everyone, that integration is difficult and fraught with unforeseen obstacles. In my opinion, Garmin got it all done in a reasonable amount of time.

Garmin bought a product that had to go through a technical upgrade. It was flash based. It had holes they couldn't live with.

As to posting on AC, I stopped when the previous owner started removing TF members because he didn't like their posts here. Now, he didn't remove us in spite of various claims and threats he made. And for those he did remove, if they wanted on, was easy enough to create an account and re-enter. It's just at that point, we lost interest in contributing. Now that he's not involved, I'd very much like to see it re-energized and we'll do our part even though we don't currently use Garmin.

Really?????

Thoughts? Experiences?

After the first person posted about a shallow spot or obstacle, how many more postings do you need to read? Do we need to post about hells gate every day, week month or year?

I still refer to active captain and find the info useful. If the last entry is a year old, I recon there is no change.

Gordon

Hear, hear!

I couldn’t agree more. I find it useful. If you don’t, dont access it.

Of course there is a decrease...

Yes, there's been a definite decrease in the posting activity on AC. It started slowing before Garmin. The owner offended enough people and then focused on eboatcards. He also became very facebook oriented. Then Garmin was slow in getting the new site working and didn't push for posts.

I still use CA and still check the reviews and see a few new ones here and there. I have posted and stopped only due to the behavior of the previous owner.

I have also used the information on Waterway Guide and Cruisers Net. Before approaching an area, I check all three publications.

Jeff was right in one regard, the future of crowd sourcing. It's a wonderful way to share information.

How many postings do you need to read about a hazard. If I go by an area that has already been posted about, see no reason to add my two cents. The number of postings is not the correct metric. The correct metric is accuracy and currency. Not number.

Gordon

To play devil's advocate, there were multiple places along the Tenn Tom where Active Captain reviews were completely wrong 1 year after the fact. Depths off by 5+', snags not marked, etc. I'm not a fan of the inland waterways, in fact I hope to never cruise them again. But thinking that " a year ago review must still be ok" is not in touch with reality for that area of the country.

We use it primarily for marinas and when it was current, it was an excellent resource for information and reviews.

Not sure...

To play devil's advocate, there were multiple places along the Tenn Tom where Active Captain reviews were completely wrong 1 year after the fact. Depths off by 5+', snags not marked, etc. I'm not a fan of the inland waterways, in fact I hope to never cruise them again. But thinking that " a year ago review must still be ok" is not in touch with reality for that area of the country.

I am on my 7th trip on the Atlantic ICW. The first was in 2014. I find AC just as useful today as then. I have learned that hazards with a handful of comments can usually be ignored, unless they are all recent. When you see a hazard eith 20 or more comments it is time to pay attention.

I can imagine that sailing inland rivers can be some we hat different than the ICW, although we also suffer from shifting shoals. I often found that hazards that disappear are not always noted, but that new shoals are.

Gordon

I could strongly argue that Garmin dropped the ball. First, they could have just kept the Garmin Blue Chart, which was FAR superior to their new Garmin Active Captain.

As for updating software and issues, they are capable of getting that done much faster than they did with AC. Heck, it's been over a a year and the app is still awkward. And, yes, it would be MUCH easier to make comments thru the app and not be redirected to the internet, like we could before. Still not done.

Overall, I'm a big Garmin fan, but occasionally they drop the ball. Hope they can fix it.

I agree, AC went off the rails somewhat for a couple of reasons mentioned here.

Anyone using Waterway Guide crowd source data?

Did not know it existed until I started using AquaMap - shows up there?

I use The Waterway Guide.
So far the info I am getting is in my opinion more reliable as there are fewer erroneous posts to Wade through when it comes to hazards.

Also I like their fuel listings.

That said, no I don't have Garmin and won't until they change their business practices.

Never did like their charting anyway.

I agree, AC went off the rails somewhat for a couple of reasons mentioned here.

Anyone using Waterway Guide crowd source data?

Did not know it existed until I started using AquaMap - shows up there?

The information they have is excellent, just not as much of it and covers a limited area.

The other resource is cruisersnet.net. More limited but good information.

Both WG and CN have more current information than AC.

You don't need as much as has been pointed out in earlier posts, just better or more trusted.

I can't even count the times I have been hailed on the radio by boats with probably less draft than me about terrible shallows ....only to go through and never see less than 8 foot.

Much of the crowd sourced info is shaky at best.

Last edited:
The information they have is excellent, just not as much of it and covers a limited area.

The other resource is cruisersnet.net. More limited but good information.

Both WG and CN have more current information than AC.

My only experience with cruisernet.net is a forum based environment.

Are there any interfaces from a chart oriented view like waterway guide or AC?

My only experience with cruisernet.net is a forum based environment.

Are there any interfaces from a chart oriented view like waterway guide or AC?

Not to my knowledge but we use all three on the web, not on our plotter, and use them for planning the day or week, not for navigating.

I am not hung up on updates appearing on plotter. We now have AC showing up on our Garmin plotters - but not really the interface we have adopted.

In the past my experience on Cruisers net has been going into forums. Went in with a fresh perspective today - really found a wealth of information that I didn't know was there.

Thanks for the pointer.

Like a lot of people mentioned, I too am a former, and never again, contributor to AC due to the unhinged antics of it's owner and founder. Even though it was taken over by Garmin, it still makes me sick to my stomach to even click in to see how things may have changed. Honestly, it is so bad that I now have even struck Garmin of the list of gear because of their relationship with that nut.

But more to the point, yes, contributions are down and I can see there are lots of reasons why, but something not mentioned is that, given an unrestricted platform to put warnings and unchecked information anywhere on a map, there is just too many incorrectly flagged areas, outdated info, lies, and petty bad reviews that it's a huge mess I don't want to have to sort out.

Aqua maps is awesome!

Aqua Maps is the way to go. Their intricate integration with Waterway Guides infor (and AC, but its content is old and useless) has recently been integrated with the US Army Corp of Engineer’s hydrographic surveys.

A new addition is also their route guide which shows a listing of all AC and WG alerts along your way (also bridges and other important info).

No more looking up info on tiny screens. No more night before download of surveys (if you can find them).

Superb

Also, WG contributors post real routes to follow for safe passage. Beautifully helpful.

I am NOT a paid endorsement btw.

Thoughts? Experiences?

You can make Active Captain reviews and comments directly from Aqua map...if you have your Aqua map updating with active captain data...for a marina review just click on the “star” in the header...i find it easier then clicking on the “pencil” you can still leave comments

Aqua Maps is the way to go. Their intricate integration with Waterway Guides infor (and AC, but its content is old and useless) has recently been integrated with the US Army Corp of Engineer’s hydrographic surveys.

A new addition is also their route guide which shows a listing of all AC and WG alerts along your way (also bridges and other important info).

No more looking up info on tiny screens. No more night before download of surveys (if you can find them).

Superb

Also, WG contributors post real routes to follow for safe passage. Beautifully helpful.

I am NOT a paid endorsement btw.

I just learned about Aqua Maps recently! I need to DL it and check it out. It looks amazing and a veritable bargain. I sure hope their business model is not the kind that gets you hooked and then jacks up the price.

I do agree that Aqua Map is a very good, low cost nav app that currently supports AC data. I just wish that they would add a route distance finder. You can only measure distance between two points currently.

But I love its dynamic heading extension and the ease of accessing tide and current data.

David

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom