Docking a boat in Bangladesh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like Walmart before a storm

People doing well to minimize harm. ... Not a place I'd like to dock. It's insane there.

Terrified and impressed all at the same time. I think it’s nuts. Also think the have developed some natural skills such that their brains know how to interpret currents without even consciously thinking.

Apparently fenders are really expensive there...

Greetings,
Interesting but don't be deceived by the seeming chaos. These are professional boat handlers. Most probably some have been doing this since they learned to walk.

Some years back the Admiral and I took a 5 day Yangtze River cruise on a 300' boat. The places the captain/crew could park that vessel simply boggled the mind. Almost every time we docked we were doing so amid dozens, if not hundreds of boats of all sizes. Never saw ONE "oopsie".

Greetings,
Interesting but don't be deceived by the seeming chaos. These are professional boat handlers. Most probably some have been doing this since they learned to walk.

Some years back the Admiral and I took a 5 day Yangtze River cruise on a 300' boat. The places the captain/crew could park that vessel simply boggled the mind. Almost every time we docked we were doing so amid dozens, if not hundreds of boats of all sizes. Never saw ONE "oopsie".

So, situation normal ... there.

There is order in chaos...not everybody needs hard set rules:

All the locals know how the system works. Foreigners may just see chaos. I've seen traffic like that in China and Egypt. There are a lot less accidents than in the US.

I've seen traffic circles in Paris that looked like that....and with zero collisions.

My first trip as a passenger in a van in China I was so terrified that I decided to look only out the side window because I didn't want to see the end as it was coming at me. After about 200 miles I realized there was some kind of order to the madness I was witnessing and I downgraded from being terrified to just being scared sh.tless. :D

Looks like a normal day in Saigon.

BTW, I refuse to drive a moped in Saigon. You should see what it looks like when my little Viet niece is driving with this 225lb gorilla on the back. She warns me not to move my body even one inch, else we're going down!

Back
Top Bottom