Old 03-17-2019, 06:01 PM   #2
catalinajack
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil23 View Post
My woes continue!!! I was running a Teleflex Tachometer in my down stairs station. The unit just refused to operate so presuming it was faulty and replaced it with a new WEMA brand unit.
Once installed and on powering up the needle goes from 0 to 4000 then back to zero and will not show rpm under load. The wiring is correctly installed with POS to ignition, GROUND to ships earth and SEND to alternator exactly as per specification and previous instrument.
I have continuity on alt/sender wire which is running of a Lucas alternator with dedicated spade fitting.
While not mentioned in the installation instructions I have been told I should have a minimum of 4VAC between GRND and SND ??
The alternator is charging well with 14.7v on charge to batteries and is not running hot.
Before I pull alternator out (dog of a job) and suggestions
If the alternator is charging, why would you remove it? If the AC tap for the tach is putting out a signal, then your problem is not the alternator. I would run a test wire directly from the alternator's AC tap to you tach and see what results. You need to remove the existing signal supply wire from the AC tap to the tach as a source of the problem. Or, use a tone generator to test that wire's continuity.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote