Weather reports in the Bahamas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pluto

Vessel Name
Hot Shot
Vessel Make
Mainship 390
I’m hoping to take my Mainship to the Bahamas later in April or May. If your out of range of noaa vhf weather forecasts and you don’t have a cell or internet connection, how do you get marine weather reports?
Appreciate any suggestions.

#1: 7268kHz at 7:45 every AM.
#2: variously timed high winds from Labor day to Memorial Day. Summer is SE 5 to 10kts every day, with pop-up unforecast thunderstorms. Hurricanes are the grenade in late summer/fall.:D

Get a Hf radio receiver, a short wave radio will work, and listen to Chris Parker, 6 days a week for free. https://mwxc.com/

We’ve gunk holed from Mayaquana to the Abacos and there were only two anchorages where we didn’t have internet via a BTC SIM card with an android device.

We're in the Bahamas. I got a SIM card when we arrived in Bimini. I have an external antenna and cellular amp, have 4G LTE coverage here in the Exumas. Even without the amp, coverage is good. You can get a data plan for 15GB/month for $35, or increments of less for less cost. It works great. Not all islands have good BTC stores, the one in Bimini is really good, regular hours and they're very accommodating.

If you have an unlocked GSM device, you only need a sim card from BTC to get rolling. If you have an iPad, it'll work too, but it MUST be unlocked. You may need a smartphone to manage the iPad's data plan, it can't dial out. There are certain android devices that won't get 4G LTE, the BTC website has extensive information on what devices will work. BTC 4G is Band 17. Newer iphones will work, but MUST BE UNLOCKED!! Your easiest would be to use a smartphone, you can then set it up as a hotspot to access the internet from your other devices.

With internet access, your choice of weather is pretty much what you like. We use Bouyweather, lots of folks like WindyTy, PassageWeather, whatever you find meets your needs.

I have a HF portable radio, I've monkeyed with it here in the Bahamas to try to get Chris Parker with very limited success. I gave up on it. Maybe it's just me..

Yeah. Get the btc card and some data. It works great and it's not expensive if you are careful with your internet use. Don't stream Netflix, lol.

It's also nice to have a local phone at times. And texting the states is cheap too.

We have been here since November and have been using Aliv. $120/ month unlimited voice and Data.

If you have T-Mobile your phone will connect with the Baltelco towers throughout the Bahamas. We started picking anchorages by spotting the towers.

For a dollar a day you can get real time weather data and discussions plus music.

Sirius weather works great for me and I also subscribe to "Marvs weather service" which is great when we have wifi or cell coverage.

Last year cruised from West End in the Abacos to Crooked Island. As Larry said, only a couple of places where BTC didn't reach.

I also carry an inReach. Ocens out of Seattle provides on demand weather at very reasonable cost. The inReach is satellite based and works anyplace on earth.

Arch

Sirius weather works great for me and I also subscribe to "Marvs weather service" which is great when we have wifi or cell coverage.

To which Sirius station do you listen?

Found this thread after I had been looking for shortwave radios:
Any recommendations on brand, features (and price)

So far these are my candidates: (about $160 to $170, Sony have expensive ones over $400)

Attachments

• AEA50204-19F9-41CB-BEA9-5DBEF5B26D5A.jpeg
    AEA50204-19F9-41CB-BEA9-5DBEF5B26D5A.jpeg
    34.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 15436461-A43E-4CE3-A0A5-09B7DAA7DAC0.jpg
    15436461-A43E-4CE3-A0A5-09B7DAA7DAC0.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 55
To which Sirius station do you listen?

Good question: Which station and which radio?
Previous two boats came with Sat Radio but I never looking into subscriptions, etc.

We subscribe to the Sirius marine weather package and have the Sirius weather module for our Curuno electronics.

We subscribe to the Sirius marine weather package and have the Sirius weather module for our Curuno electronics.

Sounds good, will start a google search on the above.
You happy with the setup?

Very. It works great. The best part is you can click on an area in the weather map and it gives you the NOAA marine zone forecast.

Did a quick search and found the Furuno equipment for Sirius.
They show this combo:

Does the screen come with the receiver, or for illustration purposes only..?:rolleyes:

Attachments

• 1E8DF24A-6F18-4A93-B39F-04BABDB766A1.jpeg
    1E8DF24A-6F18-4A93-B39F-04BABDB766A1.jpeg
    60.2 KB · Views: 47
Do we think these options r better than just ZNS? Esp AM? I could listen to it on my drive to ft lauderdale in the morning.

You can suspend it whenever you want but I find I rarely do. I find I use it (especially the weather radar) even when offshore in FL.

You are correct though - it isn’t an inexpensive option.

Looks like a hell of a service, but $55.00 per month to get the Bahamas?
https://www.siriusxm.com/sxmmarine?...rch-Paid&utm_source=NA_NA_GoogleAdwordsMarine

Would have signed up in a heartbeat for $20 a month, but only go a few times a year.
Oh well, back to portable shortwave, but that was a sexy looking package and receiver. :thumb:

I have 4 lifetime subscriptions ... I started at the right time. They were desperate to raise immediate cash. SMILE
One is on the boat. I do not have the weather channel. Way too expensive for the time I would use it.

. I have 4 lifetime subscriptions ... I started at the right time. They were desperate to raise immediate cash. SMILE

Wow, hope you live long.
(If in doubt, I’ll buy a lifetime from you) :socool:

Do we think these options r better than just ZNS? Esp AM? I could listen to it on my drive to ft lauderdale in the morning.

No idea.
Teach me about ZNS, AM Station in the Bahamas?
Long range, frequent wx updates?
(Sun and rain tourist forecast every 5 minutes may not cut it, but wind direction and strength as well as an occasional synopsis would be swell.:socool:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom