Who Uses Glomex & What Model?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Codger2

Guru
Vessel Name
Circuit Breaker
Vessel Make
2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
I'm canceling my Direct TV and going to Glomex & am wondering what the membership suggests.:blush:

Our original OTA TV antenna was a Glomex 10" V9125, worked pretty well. I replaced that last year with a Glomex Nashira 14" V9112 and get slightly better reception. The changeover was very easy; off with the old, one with the new, using their tool.

In our case, OTA reception is more a function of our location, not the antenna itself. You can look at places like the FCC's TV site, or tvfool.com, to predict what you might see where. Can't say the new antenna made a huge difference in the number of channels we receive, in our home marina... but when we've traveled since then I've seen more stations than I remember (shakey metric) from those destination locations.

Given perfect freedom, I might have looked at the Shakespeare 19" model, but mounting that would have mean using a different "stalk" system, and we also have a GPS antenna that would interfere with that larger diameter. I would have expected maybe only another slight improvement over the 14" anyway, nothing dramatic.

-Chris

I'm canceling my Direct TV and going to Glomex & am wondering what the membership suggests.:blush:
If an over-the-air antenna, you better hope you are in a metropolitan area. In the hinterlands (more than about 40 miles from the station antenna) you will get nothing. Also, marinas are at sea level, of course, and, if surrunded by hills or trees blocking the line-of-sight signal, again, nothing. When it works, it works, but often it doesn't and ut has nothing to do with whatever antenna is being used. If you want reliable, always available televsion, Direct TV is the better choice. If you want free TV, available sometimes, rely on an OTA antenna. I've been down this road. I threw my Glomex away.

I have a Glomex, have no clue how it works and no info on it. POS.

I'm going to an antenna for local TV and if I'm not in a good area, I'll just watch recorded stuff or Netflix, etc.

Just not set up yet.... not a big priority.

There's no way I'd commit to a satellite service contract like Dish, even though I have the antenna..... most of the reviews on Dish are horrible.

I have a Glomex, have no clue how it works and no info on it. POS.

I'm going to an antenna for local TV and if I'm not in a good area, I'll just watch recorded stuff or Netflix, etc.

Just not set up yet.... not a big priority.

There's no way I'd commit to a satellite service contract like Dish, even though I have the antenna..... most of the reviews on Dish are horrible.
Lousy reviews for Dish? Well here's a different view. We are wholly satisfied with Dish TV. We have an RV account. As we travel to a new market for local stations, it ia a simple process through an app to change to the locals in the new location.

We also utilize recorded shows, Netflix, Amazon Prime. Take my opinion for what it is worth, just an opinion.

If an over-the-air antenna, you better hope you are in a metropolitan area. In the hinterlands (more than about 40 miles from the station antenna) you will get nothing. Also, marinas are at sea level, of course, and, if surrunded by hills or trees blocking the line-of-sight signal, again, nothing. .

OTA reception is likely sorta predictable. The mapping tool on the TVFOOL.COM site, for example, almost perfectly agrees with what I actually see from our marina. The FCC tool was similarly accurate.

From our marina -- combined Baltimore/DC market -- we pretty much always receive two HVHF channels (11 and 13), and 6 UHF channels. That's thirty networks, counting sub-channels. Most are ~30/31 miles away, one is 40... and the latter signal is as clear as the others. Only two signals are line-of-sight (LOS); the rest are "single-edge diffraction" (sorta like "one bounce").

The 14" Glomex seems to have increased SNR by about 3-6 dB for the two HVHF channels; not much change in SNR for the UHF channels. On channels where the SNR is lower than about 22 dB (the 40-miles averages 19-22 dB) the signal sometimes drops out for a few seconds here and there, comes back, not a huge interruption. This is all with the pre-existing signal amplifier in place and fully ON.

Our reception last summer from a different marina, on the other side of the Chesapeake and way more miles from DC was surprising; we saw several DC stations there that we don't get in our home marina... probably pushing 50-55 miles (a guess)... likely because they were straight LOS at that location whereas they're not, at our home marina.

-Chris

I don’t think dish deserves bad mouthing. No contracts, pay only for months when you are on the boat. The only knock on ‘dish would be no NFL Red Zone option.

Here is a second vote for Dish: we had DirecTv at our home and the customer service from Dish is much much better. I really like being able to change local channels via an app too.

Is the location Mainship mounted the Glomex OK under dash on floor on flybridge on a 395 Trawler?

Back
Top Bottom