Seawolf winch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hugh Cummings

Vessel Name
Scoops
Vessel Make
Moody 30
Hi all

Anyone have any experience with the seawolf winch, mines wont retrieve my anchor chain back in so need to do it by hand, it makes a clicking sound when I press the footswitch like there is power getting to it but it doesn't do anything.

Hughie

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. As with anything electrical, double check ALL
your connections including grounds. It may be necessary to remove said connections and clean with a wire brush or similar. The fact you get "clicking" suggest your solenoid is energizing BUT it may not be making a high current connection necessary to operate the windlass motor (faulty solenoid?). Check for voltage across the leads leading to the windlass motor while pressing the footswitch. If everything seems to be OK, try to turn the gypsy to see if the motor is binding or seized. You might also try to turn the gypsy while pushing the footswitch as well. WATCH OUT for your fingers!!!

Thanks RTF

Looks like I may need to remove it from the yacht, tried turning the gypsy while pressing footpedal but nothing, cant get the gypsy to move, still get the clicking noise while pressing the switch

Hughie

Greetings,
Mr. HC. BEFORE you go to all the trouble of removing stuff, check voltages and connections. It may be a simple fix. You might also try to short circuit the solenoid to get the motor to move.

Greetings,
Mr. HC. BEFORE you go to all the trouble of removing stuff, check voltages and connections. It may be a simple fix. You might also try to short circuit the solenoid to get the motor to move.

+1. Always do the simple things first.

Remember winches take massive current , to move a load.

Just spinning the motor can be done with a #10 sized wire to bypass questionable items.

How old is your windlass? Ever had the motor brushes checked / replaced?
I had the same problem with my Lofrens Tigres, 15 year old windlass. Removed motor from windlass and disassembled. Cleaned the commutator on the motor armature with sand paper. Cleaned out all the carbon dust from motor housing. Checked bearings; both good. Replaced all 4 brushes with new. Reassembled motor and installed onto windlass. Now, all is well.

Hi all

Anyone have any experience with the seawolf winch, mines wont retrieve my anchor chain back in so need to do it by hand, it makes a clicking sound when I press the footswitch like there is power getting to it but it doesn't do anything.

Hughie
Does the windlass deploy the anchor? If so, reverse the positive leads on the motor to see if it now runs successfully in the opposite direction, that is, retrieval. If so, your problem may be a faulty relay.

Whenever I experience electrical clicking I start with power supply. Clicking usually means you are not getting enough power to whatever appliance you are connected with.

Hey all

Thanks for the responses, I was back at the yacht today and after sticking my head in some nooks and crannies discovered a live wire detached from terminal block re-applied and hey hey its back to life however, when I press the footswitch and the winch energises the gypsy does approximately one revolution and then stops, push it with finger, does another revolution then stops, push it with finger, does another revolution and stops and so on, I guess you get the picture, that was as far as I got as the heavens opened, any thought on the stop/go issue.

Hughie

Greetings,
Mr. HC. OK. Baby steps are good. So what are you pushing with your finger to elicit the one revolution? The foot switch or the gypsy?

I press the switch and the gypsy does one revolution and stops ( unit still energised) I release the switch, push gypsy with finger, press switch, it does one revolution again and stops. Hope to get better weather tomorrow as heavy rain stopped me today

Hughie

RTF how do I get a profile picture on, the way you have one of the Marx brothers

Hughie

Greetings,
Mr. HC. I think you go to User CP and click on profile picture. Both top left of individual pages. You realize I'm a computer Luddite don't you?
IF you don't have a picture, you can post this one I took of my brother after a recent visit to Taco Bell. It's yours to use. Oh, and he wouldn't recommend the burrito platter...

iu

As a side note...https://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk...fast-food-restaurant-set-to-open-in-greenock/

Last edited:
It is an easy windlass to service. A few Allen bolts and it’s all apart. I had the same issue with mine. Took it apart and found all internal grease hard as rocks. After it was apart found the one roller bearing was seized so replaced it for $15. Cleaned it all up with fresh grease and, voila, back in business. About a month later it stopped dead. Trouble shooting indicated good power to motor, so obviously motor had quit. Was in the Bahamas so I removed the two Allen bolts and took the motor to an alternator/starter rebuild shop and next day came back good as new after changing brushes, Springs, etc. $50.
IMG_1441.jpgView attachment 1IMG_1442.jpg

It is an easy windlass to service. A few Allen bolts and it’s all apart. I had the same issue with mine. Took it apart and found all internal grease hard as rocks. After it was apart found the one roller bearing was seized so replaced it for $15. Cleaned it all up with fresh grease and, voila, back in business. About a month later it stopped dead. Trouble shooting indicated good power to motor, so obviously motor had quit. Was in the Bahamas so I removed the two Allen bolts and took the motor to an alternator/starter rebuild shop and next day came back good as new after changing brushes, Springs, etc. $50.
View attachment 86501View attachment 1View attachment 86502

I have no idea where that middle pic came from. It’s not mine and didn’t come from my photo gallery. Weird. Lol.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom