What do you look for in a boat shoe/sandal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dougcole

Guru
Vessel Name
Morgan
Vessel Make
'05 Mainship 40T
Hey Guys,

I hope this is OK with the mods and not too commercial.* I work for a footwear company, I won't say the name, I'm not trying to advertise, that asked me to do some research on expanding their presence in the boating market.*

They are known for their sandals.* For those of you from the PNW, a sandal is an open shoe like thing with straps that people wear in warm sunny climates.* The sun is a huge orb that appears in the sky and emits heat. :)

Anyway, what do you look for when you are buying footwear to wear on your boat?* Not really looking for brands, rather characteristics.

Toe Protection?

Non Skid?

Non marking, what if a sole was black, but didn't mark, would you buy it? Would you believe the company that said it wouldn't mark?

Styling?

Cheap price?

Good for hot weather?* How about cold?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Doug

Where I boat the only Shoe/boot is a pair of XTra Tuffs. If you have to go ashore they are about the best. The insulated ones are warm and dry.

On the boat a pair of mocs are all that is needed. I like the Topsiders Good grip and the slip on's are comfortable.

SD

Dougcole wrote:
4.*Toe Protection?

1.*Non Skid?

2.* Non marking, what if a sole was black, but didn't mark, would you buy it? Would you believe the company that said it wouldn't mark?* Maybe.

We have been weened from the original white only of Sperry soles.* Browns, beige and gray but black may be a challenge they might want to avoid until folks like the shoes.

3. Styling?

5. Price?

6. Good for hot weather?* How about cold?
*I have a pair of Top Sider flip flops but I only wear them to wash the boat.* I like to keep my toes in one piece.* Too much time on a sail boat I guess, besides I feel I have better traction with the proper shoes on.

Dougcole wrote:For those of you from the PNW, a sandal is an open shoe like thing with straps that people wear in warm sunny climates.* The sun is a huge orb that appears in the sky and emits heat. :)
*Sandals and socks is one of the most popular footwear combinations in the PNW.* My wife wears that on a daily basis.

We've heard about this "sun" thing.* Could you post some photos of it (if it even exists) because I have some born-in-the-northwest co-workers who claim the sun is not real but is a digital animation used in movies and TV shows.

As to boating footwear, what I look for is good cushioning so my feet don't get tired by being on them a good part of the day. Also a good, no-slip sole. I prefer a closed shoe that keeps water out (rain, spray), but there are advantages to a breathing shoe, too.

Non-marking is important.

I also want a very long-lasting shoe.* I don't like replacing shoes every six months or a year.

So far, the best boating shoes I have had are my current pair, Seabago Docksiders.* We bought them a number of years ago and I found them rather uncomfortable and so almost never wore them until on a whim earlier this year I installed an insole recommended by REI that I had just started using in all my shoes.* This insole turned the Seabagos into an absolutely wonderful shoe.

But everybody's feet and comfort requirements are different so what works great for one guy may not work at all for the next guy.

-- Edited by Marin on Wednesday 8th of February 2012 02:49:51 PM

You can't beat a pair of crocs for boat shoes. They are light, solid non-skid grip, non marking, and darn near the most comfortable shoe you can wear and easy on/off. Most of the time I find the best boat shoes are my bare feet though. :)

Marin wrote:We've heard about this "sun" thing.* Could you post some photos of it (if it even exists) because I have some born-in-the-northwest co-workers who claim the sun is not real but is a digital animation used in movies and TV shows.
We in the south have heard this same rumor.* In fact there might be some truth that we may have started it.* We prefer you'll staying where you are.* We have enough trouble dealing with Buckeyes and Wolverines every summer as it is.*They only get to drive a boat for a few months of the year*and then come down here and get in our way all the while they remind us that they don't do it that way up north.* We know that's why we don't live there.**Besides we have our own Seahawks*and Ducks*so we don't need any from the north*west.**

Do any of you actually wear your shoes in the water? Is that an important feature to you?

JD wrote:Marin wrote:We've heard about this "sun" thing.* Could you post some photos of it (if it even exists) because I have some born-in-the-northwest co-workers who claim the sun is not real but is a digital animation used in movies and TV shows.
We prefer you'll staying where you are.* We have enough trouble dealing with Buckeyes and Wolverines every summer as it is.*They only get to drive a boat for a few months of the year*and then come down here and get in our way all the while they remind us that they don't do it that way up north.* ,,,,Besides we have our own Seahawks*and Ducks*so we don't need any from the north*west.**

Well, I've never met anyone from here who has any desire to have anything to do with the southeast US.* In fact we have a lot of refugees from that part of the world and we are currently trying to figure out how to send them back.* Boeing did its part by opening an airplane plant in Charleston hoping that a bunch of our people from that area would go back.* So far it hasn't worked.

We can boat year round so no worries about anyone from here wanting to come down and boat there (see my post about boating in a ditch as to why).

I couldn't care less about professional football so I don't care what the Seahawks do or where they go or even if they cease to exsit.* As to the Ducks, they're from Oregon which is perillously close to California.* I expect them to be swallowed up by the Perpetually Broke State (aka the We Killed Off Our State Animal State) any day now, so Oregon (and the Ducks) will cease to be a factor in PNW life.

Dougcole wrote:
Do any of you actually wear your shoes in the water? Is that an important feature to you?

I like to walk in the water with my sandals, like when I get out of the dinghy to go ashore. An important feature for this is floatability. You want your sandal to come up if you loose it in muddy water.

I'm not getting involved in THIS battle again! Just asking about shoes....

Dougcole wrote:
Water shoes are different than boat shoes.* My wife has both because she works*our dog and wears water shoes at that time. Boat shoes if kept wet seem to take on an aroma that is not, shall we say pleasent.

Thanks guys, all good info. Please keep the comments coming.

Doug

Woodsong wrote:
You can't beat a pair of crocs for boat shoes. They are light, solid non-skid grip, non marking, and darn near the most comfortable shoe you can wear and easy on/off. Most of the time I find the best boat shoes are my bare feet though. :)
Pretty much the way I do it too. On the boat, bare feet are ideal for much of the cruising season, as long as you don't have nasty stuff to catch toes etc. on.*

Crocs work well for off boat activities, especially at the beach where dinghy offloading/loading often involves a step or two in the water. Or just wading on a rocky bottom. *BUT, Crocs tend to lose their treads very quickly so can be hazardous. I've seen newer versions (or they might not even be actual Crocs) that look to have much better tread design.

I've looked at some Keen sandals that have a closed toe design but have passed on them as I find that my toes don't extend past the sole anyway so don't see the need for that protection. (Proven in my occasional sandal wearing experiences on the boat.)

Fotoman wrote:
I like to walk in the water with my sandals, like when I get out of the dinghy to go ashore.
I would like to walk on the water with my sandals but, unfortunately, someone else already coopted that on an exclusive basis.

I also prefer bare feet, but this is just not practical once you wander off the boat. A while ago I bought some "Five Finger" shoes for running but they make remarkably comfortable footwear in the dinghy, on the rocky beaches, on the docks, etc. The tops are just fabric, so they dry out fairly quickly and they can easily be washed in a bucket or washing machine. One must, however, get used to people staring at your feet.

dvd

-- Edited by dvd on Wednesday 8th of February 2012 05:14:19 PM

Guys,
I have it on good authority that they have made a prototype of the contemplated ideal boat show as described within this thread. Here is a picture. I believe Marin has already ordered a pair!! :)

121505d1231541061-fins-snorkeling-high_heel_fins.jpg

-- Edited by GonzoF1 on Wednesday 8th of February 2012 08:41:22 PM

Woodsong wrote:
Guys,
I have it on good authority that they have made a prototype of the contemplated ideal boat show as described within this thread. Here is a picture. I believe Marin has already ordered a pair!! :)
*I have the same but in powder blue flats..:)

As far as shoes...well here in Jersey we have 4 seasons and mostly sand/mud for "water" bottom.* In the water...shoeless even when ice is on the marsh if I have to (salt water doesn't do any shoe well except plastic shoes/boots).* On the boat...anything appropriate for the temps.* Cheaper the better because non-skid and engine rooms ruin any shoe quick.

I would never want to own a boat where shoes "have" to be of a certain kind short of golf shoes or hob-nail boots.

-- Edited by psneeld on Wednesday 8th of February 2012 06:54:22 PM

-- Edited by psneeld on Wednesday 8th of February 2012 06:55:36 PM

Love those. do they make them in "Breton red"/

Dougcole wrote:
*No, I don't wear my boat shoes in the water itself.* As we have a dog that needs to go ashore periodically and we often have to beach the dinghy as opposed to going to a dock, I put on high boots for this.* The ones I have come almost to my knees and have a tread that provides a good gripping surface without any cracks or holes to catch little pebbles that will then scratch the deck or cabin soles unless you dig them all out.

The water up here is pretty cold so getting one's feet wet is not generally a good plan, although there are a few shallow bays with low water turnover that can get fairly "warm" in the summer months.

So if your shoe market is the PNW, you probably don't have to worry about making one that will*stand up*to being repeatedly*submerged in water unless you're going to offer boots, too.* For warmer climates a submersible boat shoe probably would have more appeal.

This company is very familiar with the Pacific Northwest, it is the warmer 2/3 of the US seacoast that they don't know as well.

We're in the S so wear sandals year round. I prefer Tevas with velcro straps & no toe thingys. I like the way they protect my toes & heals from abrasion, can be wet 100% of the time & not seem to care. I do not like the black soles transfering their color to the bottom of my feet. Maybe I sweat mineral spirits.

We are in NC and can boat just about year round.* My perfect shoes would*have the characteristics of*a good pair of running shoes, Saucony's for example, but slip-on with no laces, and non marking.* I'd like the same comfort out of a pair of Sperry like topsiders and Tevas.* Both fast drying and draining.* For winter I would like some nice looking Ugs (fun fuzzy boots) that had real grip.*

When I jump onto the dock during docking or onto the boat when departing, I want nonslip and good cushioning.* In a size 5 for women.* Women's feet do not always begin at 6 or 6.5.

I want to say cheap too, but honestly if there was such a line of shoes, I'd pay almost anything to have all of them on the boat.

(don't tell Tom...that's about a boat buck in shoes)

I have a GREAT pair of boat shoes by Margaritaville. They are like a combination of suede Topsiders and bedroom slippers. they are the most comfortable shoes I have ever owned. On a non-working boat, toe protection isn't really needed. I carry a pair of flip-flops for beach walks or for skooting around the hot deck, but comfort during long stands behind the helm (on very hard fiberglass) and non marking, non-skid is a must. I also prefer slip-on and lighter colors to stay cool. I think I paid $60 at Rack Room Shoes for them.

-- Edited by GonzoF1 on Wednesday 8th of February 2012 08:51:56 PM

I sell boat shoes in my stores. Unfortunately I can't wear any of them. I have very wide feet and the brands we sell, Sperry and Rugged Shark, don't make extra wide. By default I wear Crocs. Crocs get dangerous when the sole gets worn. They get extremely slippery. I also wear a pair of old Tevas like HeyJude refers to. If I were making boat shoes I would not use black soles even if they don't mark. It's less of an issue now than a few years ago as people are learning that you can make non-marking black soles but it still comes up. If you want to go darker, use grey and put a big tag on them saying "Non-Marking".

If you want me to buy your shoes, make them wide and comfortable! (13 EEEE) I want a nice leather shoe like the Sperry Billfish http://www.hopkins-carter.com/spbidatan07.html , a nice sneaker like the Rugged Shark Marlin http://www.hopkins-carter.com/rushma2.html , and a sandal like HeyJude describes but with a good boat sole.

(13 EEEE)...damn!* bet you've been mistaken for*Sasquatch.*

Shimano, the fishing tackle people, make a nice shoe similar to Crocs but with an good non skid non marking sole.
I like Teva sandals in the summer, but find they need frequent washing to keep them from smelling terrible! The newer ones supposedly donot have that problem but it still happens.
Steve W

Normally don't wear anything on my feet but allways own 2 pairs Sperry 2 strap Santa Crz sandals.
One pair for working around the boat yard and the other for going out.
Have been using the same sandal for the past 12 odd years , don't know how many pairs I have had but love them.
Good pair become old pair and good pair renewed and so on.

Sorry:

I don't want to*sound rude or partial. In the Tropics, Crocs, Crocs, Crocs, and then bare feet!

Portuguese

Portuguese wrote:
Sorry:

I don't want to*sound rude or partial. In the Tropics, Crocs, Crocs, Crocs, and then bare feet!

Portuguese
*Crocs, crocs, crocs, bare feet
download.spark
and then no feet.

Back
Top Bottom