Name change - Vinyl lettering adhesive removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I used "Goof Off" cleaner to remove the adhesive remnants from stencils that had been on the stern for several years...worked like a charm, with little rubbing required. You can get it at Home Depot.

I also used a heat gun to aid in peeling the old stencils off, then the Goof Off for the remaining stuff.

I used "Goof Off" cleaner to remove the adhesive remnants from stencils that had been on the stern for several years...worked like a charm, with little rubbing required. You can get it at Home Depot.

I also used a heat gun to aid in peeling the old stencils off, then the Goof Off for the remaining stuff.

That's the exact combination we used and it worked great.

John

MEK will takeoff the adhesive residue very easily. Be careful not to get it in your eyes.

John
Eleven Eleven

Bought a boat twenty or so years ago that had Poliglow applied and then ignored. Figured that problem into the sales price but then had a hard (impossible) time finding anyone willing to tackle the job. One detailing fellow said he’d take on removal of the crap, but only using 3M Adhesive Remover. “Cap't, the stuff's expensive but it works." I let him do it and the result was perfect.

Forgot to mention...The reason for removing Poliglow was that it had yellowed and was starting to orange peel. In my opinion, different from others, an awful quick fix product.

Last edited:
Bought a boat twenty or so years ago that had Poliglow applied and then ignored. Figured that problem into the sales price but then had a hard (impossible) time finding anyone willing to tackle the job. One detailing fellow said he’d take on removal of the crap, but only using 3M Adhesive Remover. “Cap't, the stuff's expensive but it works." I let him do it and the result was perfect.

Forgot to mention...The reason for removing Poliglow was that it had yellowed and was starting to orange peel. In my opinion, different from others, an awful quick fix product.

We had the sister product, New Glass, on our boat. I used heavy duty floor stripper to get it off. HUGE PITA! Of course, underneath it was a horrible paint job, but at least the boat doesn't look like it has peeling sunburned skin any longer.

My 34AT came named Kinja. I am told that is the mythical island in the US Virgin Islands and the name of a song too. It also came with 2 storm jackets with a trawler and the name Kinja embroidered on them. Also an entrance mat with a trawler and the name on it. Sooooo, although it is not my first choice of names.... I elected to keep the name. LOL I had to add 'hailing port' on the transom. I have 2 very nice name boards on the side of the house. They too came with the boat.
SMILE

If the boat is Coast Guard Documented and you have applied for documentation, you should not have taken the name off the boat.
When I bought my present boat I did the same thing you are doing. The company that handled my documentation almost had a cow. They said that they hoped that I did not get boarded as there could be a large fine.

That's typical govmt BS. If you miss something in the fine print, you go to jail.
I asked them about name changes and never got a straight answer, and it's not clear, unless you just don't use the boat during the whole time you apply for a name change. There's no need to be documented.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom