Nordic Tug 37 Rental East Coast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tin Man

Veteran Member
Ahoy,

Background: I have been lurking, or should I say drooling for years, on this forum. Boating is in my heart and soul and was a large part of my life from childhood until my Dad sold his. :D Upgrades over that time were ski/fish runabout to 31' Uniflite to 43' Viking DC. Mom and Dad lived aboard the Viking for 3 years cruising the east coast with the seasons - I joined them for a week at a time here and there. Then I had a wife, kids and a pool. Pool was a bad idea, but kids baseball and scouts would have killed boat weekends. I rented boats and took the kids to the Chesapeake, Erie canal and BVI. Now that I a contemplating downsizing the pool (and the house that comes with it), I am bound and determined to become a boater again. The wife is not on board, so to speak, with this idea.

Question: Do any of you know where I can rent a Nordic Tug 37 (or 34 or 40) on the East Coast, preferably North East? I live in CT.

I have pretty much settled on a NT as my goto option, partially from reading this forum and partially from boarding one and looking at others at Wilde Yachts in Essex CT and the Norwalk Boat Show. I'd like to rent to help convince the wife and, well, I want to get back out there and SOON!

Any thoughts are welcome.

There are only two sources for US charters of Nordic Tugs that I am aware: Anacortes Yacht Charters in Anacortes, Wa which has a 32' and a 42' and Bay Breeze Yacht Sales in Traverse City, Mi. which has a single 32.

I can highly recommend AYC. The San Juan Islands is a great cruising area.

David

There are only two sources for US charters of Nordic Tugs that I am aware: Anacortes Yacht Charters in Anacortes, Wa which has a 32' and a 42' and Bay Breeze Yacht Sales in Traverse City, Mi. which has a single 32.

I can highly recommend AYC. The San Juan Islands is a great cruising area.

David

Thank you. I did come up with those on google. Just not likely to convince my wife to fly west for a boat rental.

If all else fails, maybe you could try VRBO or AirBnB and stay on a boat for a week? And maybe talk the owner into taking you out for a cruise or two...

Examples:https://www.vrbo.com/1447056, https://www.vrbo.com/759197

Or maybe someone on this forum would be willing to rent you their boat for a week, even if only to stay on.

Be careful about renting boats. Renting is commercial use. Most recreational insurance policies will not cover losses incurred due to commercial use. Only rent from established yacht charter companies who carry insurance for losses as a result from commercial use.

David

Thanks Transpac and David. I am looking to rent from an establish yacht charter company. Sitting at dock is like ordering scotch on the rocks, without the scotch.

p.s. David, looks like we may be neighbors part of the year. I am in Northern Fairfield County CT.

What is the objective or the rental ? To see how the boat handles ? Spaces ? Options ?
I am 100 yds from Wilde and they do have quite a few NT on site and there are a few more around Essex. Come on down and chat to the owners. I believe the guy behind me has a 37 NT. I have never known a boater to be shy about talking about his particular boat, I would even ask for a ride on the river.

Ahoy,

Background: I have been lurking, or should I say drooling for years, on this forum. Boating is in my heart and soul and was a large part of my life from childhood until my Dad sold his. :D Upgrades over that time were ski/fish runabout to 31' Uniflite to 43' Viking DC. Mom and Dad lived aboard the Viking for 3 years cruising the east coast with the seasons - I joined them for a week at a time here and there. Then I had a wife, kids and a pool. Pool was a bad idea, but kids baseball and scouts would have killed boat weekends. I rented boats and took the kids to the Chesapeake, Erie canal and BVI. Now that I a contemplating downsizing the pool (and the house that comes with it), I am bound and determined to become a boater again. The wife is not on board, so to speak, with this idea.

Question: Do any of you know where I can rent a Nordic Tug 37 (or 34 or 40) on the East Coast, preferably North East? I live in CT.

I have pretty much settled on a NT as my goto option, partially from reading this forum and partially from boarding one and looking at others at Wilde Yachts in Essex CT and the Norwalk Boat Show. I'd like to rent to help convince the wife and, well, I want to get back out there and SOON!

Any thoughts are welcome.

Not sure if you're implying living aboard or down sizing home to have a cruising platform for extended trips. Sounds like she didn't come with you to the Chesapeake, Erie or BVI. If the above is correct, proceed carefully. I have a non boating wife. The older people get, the more set in their ways or opposition they become. Worst possible result would be you falling in love with an NT and she becoming an absolute no way.

Ted

Not sure if you're implying living aboard or down sizing home to have a cruising platform for extended trips. Sounds like she didn't come with you to the Chesapeake, Erie or BVI. If the above is correct, proceed carefully. I have a non boating wife. The older people get, the more set in their ways or opposition they become. Worst possible result would be you falling in love with an NT and she becoming an absolute no way.

Ted

Good advice!!! My wife was a gung ho liveaboard cruiser in her 40s, ok with overnights and week long cruises in her 50s and dead set against setting foot on any boat in her 60s.

That is why I have the boat in my avatar to the left, just for me. What more can I say???

David

What is the objective or the rental ? To see how the boat handles ? Spaces ? Options ?
I am 100 yds from Wilde and they do have quite a few NT on site and there are a few more around Essex. Come on down and chat to the owners. I believe the guy behind me has a 37 NT. I have never known a boater to be shy about talking about his particular boat, I would even ask for a ride on the river.

That's awesome. I guess I am the shy one about approaching a boat owner as you suggested. :eek:

Ted

Good advice!!! My wife was a gung ho liveaboard cruiser in her 40s, ok with overnights and week long cruises in her 50s and dead set against setting foot on any boat in her 60s.

That is why I have the boat in my avatar to the left, just for me. What more can I say???

David

I was a little too brief in my background history. My wife did spend time boating before we had kids. The two of us borrowed my Dad's Uniflite for week-long trips in the Chesapeake and Long Island Sound (including Block Island, Newport, points in between). We joined my parents on the Viking a few times as well. When the kids were preteens, we did take them for a week on the Erie canal boat (mostly up the Champlain Canal) and a week in BVI. We still talk about the BVI trip as one of our best vacations. My wife did enjoy those trips (except the drop toilet on canal boat).

Her current position is she doesn't want to live aboard, but is up for chartering. My current thinking is to purchase a 32-37 foot boat, livable for 1-2 week trips (occasionally accommodating the 20-something kids), and seeing where it goes from there. A boat that I could go up and down the coast with the seasons (getting tired of long CT winters) and still have a grounded home might satisfy both parties. Finding a charter boat specific to what I would be interested in purchasing kind of pushes the process along.

And that's why I posted... ;)

If I could make a suggestion:
Charter a boat next winter for a couple of weeks in FL. Sell her on the concept of going South and boating. The boat is not really important at this point, it's the idea of going South. Once she's hooked on that concept, which boat will be less important to her. SW FL is a great place to start.

These guys are one of the best in the area.

Southwest Florida Yachts

Ted

If I could make a suggestion:
Charter a boat next winter for a couple of weeks in FL. Sell her on the concept of going South and boating. The boat is not really important at this point, it's the idea of going South. Once she's hooked on that concept, which boat will be less important to her. SW FL is a great place to start.

These guys are one of the best in the area.

Southwest Florida Yachts

Ted

Awesome idea.

Funny, I was on that site last week and was wondering if they were reputable. We spent a week with my parents on the Viking in the area many years ago. That is my target winter destination.

SW Florida Yachts is a great suggestion. Although not the same boat at all, their Mainship 400 would be a good choice to introduce your wife to the joys of cruising on a nice boat.

If you decide to do it, PM me and I can give you some tips as to where to go. I live in Punta Gorda, Fl.

David

SW Florida Yachts is a great suggestion. Although not the same boat at all, their Mainship 400 would be a good choice to introduce your wife to the joys of cruising on a nice boat.

If you decide to do it, PM me and I can give you some tips as to where to go. I live in Punta Gorda, Fl.

David

Cool. My parents wintered at a marina in Punta Gorda. It's be awhile, but we have been to Cayo Costa and Sanibel by boat. More recently, we have explored the beaches by car. I would like to explore the area further.

Back
Top Bottom