What's the diff?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom.B

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Make
Navigator 4200 Classic
Here is your proverbial 'Dumb Question of the Day', but I have to ask.

What is the difference between a multi-function display and a chart plotter?

I suspect with most, at least older, models a plotter would show you a chart and your track. Period. Whereas an MFD could be made to show multiple charts, engine data, camera views, weather stuff, AIS info, etc.

Might have more recently devolved to where newer "plotters" and MFDs are the same thing, though...

-Chris

I believe Ranger is correct - our boat came with a 2012 Simrad NSS and the Operator Manual does not refer to it as either a chartplotter or MFD, but it will display charts, radar, autopilot.....

Yes, a multifunction display can be a chartplotter but not all chartplotters are multifunction displays. MFDs can display charts, radar, sonar images, etc.

David

Here is your proverbial 'Dumb Question of the Day', but I have to ask.

What is the difference between a multi-function display and a chart plotter?

A "Chart Plotter" is just a chart plotter -- you could say it is a 'single-function display', because it cannot display data from your sonar, radar, etc.

I don't think anyone makes a standalone dedicated chart plotter anymore, it's probably been 20 years since I saw one on the market.

Nowadays, the term 'chart plotter' does not refer to a piece of dedicated hardware, but rather refers the chart plotter function of an MFD.

Do MFDs have multiple inputs or pull all the data from NEMA2000 networked devices?

Do MFDs have multiple inputs or pull all the data from NEMA2000 networked devices?
Yes. That is, either.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

simrad-nss12-evo3-combo-7b3_1.jpg

And many (all?) also take NMEA0183 input. Maybe less reliance on that these days...

-Chris

Attachments

• eS 128 Close up.jpg
    eS 128 Close up.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 35
  • Flush Mount.jpg
    Flush Mount.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 35

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom