View Single Post
Old 03-12-2019, 09:44 AM   #86
Seevee
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Wise words, to which I would add being brutally honest about the capabilities of you and your crew. This includes physical size, coordination, agility and strength as well as situational awareness, communication skills, learning skills and peripheral vision. Recognizing these things helps inform you of what boat ergonomics need to be. Since we were (and to a large degree still are) lacking in most of the aforementioned metrics, it was essential to find a boat whose ergonomic design mitigated those weaknesses as much as possible. For instance, as a starting point one of the very first things I'd do when evaluating a boat was to go to the helms, put my hands on the shifters and look around.
Then, evaluate what was involved in getting from one point to another anywhere on the boat. And so on...
That would be true regardless of what the boat has or does not have. The capabilities of a crew can be changed by training, which is a necessity of any boating activity. Unless one is handicapped, the vast majority of us can be trained to run ANY boat. So, I could go back to the OPs original question, which is more important.... how do you use the flybridge, side doors, etc and what value are they for the mission. While training is important, it's secondary to choosing a boat.