Dinghy power thoughts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Burgalat,
4hp ... I’m above hull speed (that is obvious) so clearly overpowered.
Only downside to me is a lack of reverse gear ... but who wants to go backwards.
But I’m really keen about halving more than one cylinder.
Got it. OMC Light twin.

Attachments

• F29C1F93-6CEA-4B7D-A80F-34100FD6F927.jpeg
    F29C1F93-6CEA-4B7D-A80F-34100FD6F927.jpeg
    101.5 KB · Views: 64
Wifey B: Oops...we have 100 hp on an 11' RIB. WOT is 42 knots. Guess you don't approve. Bad bad bad. :hide:

I like speed. We were on a 116' AB earlier this week, hit 55 knots. :D

But then our boat at the lake before we moved to FL would top 50 knots. :eek:

It's 4:30 AM. I just woke up. Going to wake hubby in a minute, but how shall I do it.

WOW! 42 knots in an 11' RIB? Guess you don't need that bass boat after all...:thumb:

Don't mind me, I'm just old, slow and jealous. The 90 HP diesel in my 40-ton barge gets her up to a whopping 5 knots at WOT. The good news is that it only burns 1 gal./hr. while doing so. The bad news is that she tends to go out with the tide whenever we go by an Intracoastal inlet at the wrong time of day...:blush:

PS - Why on earth would you want to wake him up at this ungodly hour? :)

WOW! 42 knots in an 11' RIB? Guess you don't need that bass boat after all...:thumb:

Don't mind me, I'm just old, slow and jealous. The 90 HP diesel in my 40-ton barge gets her up to a whopping 5 knots at WOT. The good news is that it only burns 1 gal./hr. while doing so. The bad news is that she tends to go out with the tide whenever we go by an Intracoastal inlet at the wrong time of day...:blush:

PS - Why on earth would you want to wake him up at this ungodly hour? :)

Wifey B: No comment on the waking up or what took place in the shower or before breakfast but he had no complaints about being waked. :D

Got to the Sistine Chapel and did a food tour of Rome sampling like 20 different places. Now winding down and deciding about sleep as we fly home tomorrow so now its 9:30 PM here but it's 3:30 PM at home except it's going to be savings time so 3:30 is 4:30 and oh ^%@%#, so when should we go to sleep. I never got fully adjusted here and now back. Then we leave here at 10:20 and fly 11 1/2 hours and get to MIA at 4:50. Sooooooooooo confusing to my body. :confused:

I think we'll stay up late late late tonight.

Boy there were some fast bass boats on the lake we lived on. You would have thought they were afraid of the fish outrunning them but I never saw any fish near that fast. :eek:

Wifey B: No comment on the waking up or what took place in the shower or before breakfast but he had no complaints about being waked. :D

Got to the Sistine Chapel and did a food tour of Rome sampling like 20 different places. Now winding down and deciding about sleep as we fly home tomorrow so now its 9:30 PM here but it's 3:30 PM at home except it's going to be savings time so 3:30 is 4:30 and oh ^%@%#, so when should we go to sleep. I never got fully adjusted here and now back. Then we leave here at 10:20 and fly 11 1/2 hours and get to MIA at 4:50. Sooooooooooo confusing to my body. :confused:

I think we'll stay up late late late tonight.

Boy there were some fast bass boats on the lake we lived on. You would have thought they were afraid of the fish outrunning them but I never saw any fish near that fast. :eek:

Life's unfair; Neeltje has a beautiful marble tiled Italian shower fit for two, and we're getting too old to use it properly.:eek:

Rome's a nice place to visit, but you wouldn't want to sleep there. It's got to be the loudest city nocturnal on the planet this side of Hong Kong.

I don't know about you, but I've always had less of a problem with jet lag coming back from Europe than going there, whereas I've been told that people flying in Coach find little, if any, difference at all...:D

As for the bass boats, I live 2 blocks down from the Palatka boat ramps where they launch some of the biggest bass tournaments in America. They do this on an all too regular basis at the crack of dawn on Saturday mornings, and I can see (and hear) hundreds of them shooting out of Wilson's cove in all directions at barely subsonic speed. At first, I thought they were doing this for fun and bragging rights, but when I finally got around to asking why fishermen would need Cigarette-like performance to go fishing, it was explained to me that bass fishing tournaments were timed. Not only did the fishermen have to get to their favorite fishing spot and bring back the most possible fish, they had to do it in a timely manner. Since some of those fishing spots are many miles up or down river... you get the drift.

Sorry for going off thread, but I still can't see slapping a 20 (much less a 100) HP outboard on a 10' RIB without having a death wish.

Sorry for going off thread, but I still can't see slapping a 20 (much less a 100) HP outboard on a 10' RIB without having a death wish.

Wifey B: We don't have a 100 hp outboard, have an inboard and our rib is 11'. :lol:

As to death wish, we don't run it wide open all the time or even much of the time but the boat handles amazingly well. It does have a power limit switch if you're concerned, but we've never used it. It's a nice deep V hull. Well, not sure you can call it deep on 11'. ;)

If anyone out there is living life on the other end of the dingy spectrum from Mrs. B and looking for a Honda 2HP, lemme know. I've got a good one sitting in a shed in CA. That motor would push my 9.5 ft Achilles at 5 K at WOT! I was impressed.

Wifey B: We don't have a 100 hp outboard, have an inboard and our rib is 11'. :lol:

As to death wish, we don't run it wide open all the time or even much of the time but the boat handles amazingly well. It does have a power limit switch if you're concerned, but we've never used it. It's a nice deep V hull. Well, not sure you can call it deep on 11'. ;)

Call me antiquated, but I've never seen an 11' RIB with a 100 HP inboard. Where can I find one? I'm looking to replace my 18' Monterey bow rider with something faster and more fuel efficient.

"Where can I find one?"

Google - Williams Ribs

MODEL
Turbojet 285
LOA
2.90m/9ft 6in
BEAM
1.70m/5ft 7in
SEATING
3+1 persons
ENGINE
BRP Rotax ACE 900 - 90HP
MAX SPEED
Up to 74kph/46mph
FUEL CAPACITY
40 litres/10.5 US gal
FIND OUT MORE BUILD MY TENDER

"Where can I find one?"

Google - Williams Ribs

MODEL
Turbojet 285
LOA
2.90m/9ft 6in
BEAM
1.70m/5ft 7in
SEATING
3+1 persons
ENGINE
BRP Rotax ACE 900 - 90HP
MAX SPEED
Up to 74kph/46mph
FUEL CAPACITY
40 litres/10.5 US gal
FIND OUT MORE BUILD MY TENDER

As she's still sleeping, we have the 325 you'll see on the same page. Ours is also when they were using Textron engines, not Rotax.

Just because it says "20" on the cowl doesn't mean you have to use it. You can still only use 10-15 hp if that's all you want. BUT....if it says "15" on the cowl, that's all you'll ever get. If you can "afford" it in cost and weight, get the larger motor. There's no downside. You might find you want to tow a tube, run into a strong wind and current with an extra load, need to help recover the anchor from the mothership......the possible needs for extra HP are infinite...the possible problems are 2. Money and Pounds.

Just because it says "20" on the cowl doesn't mean you have to use it. You can still only use 10-15 hp if that's all you want. BUT....if it says "15" on the cowl, that's all you'll ever get. If you can "afford" it in cost and weight, get the larger motor. There's no downside. You might find you want to tow a tube, run into a strong wind and current with an extra load, need to help recover the anchor from the mothership......the possible needs for extra HP are infinite...the possible problems are 2. Money and Pounds.

If you're not careful, 'Torque Steering' (for lac of a better term) might also be an issue with a relatively "high-powered" tiller-driven outboard mounted on a relatively short and light boat. I lost a brand-new 9.9 Penta that way. It now rests in peace at the bottom of lake Morisco, which as we all know, is deeper than Hell.

On the lake, some bass boaters would switch engine cowls. Suddenly you'd see a bass boat outrunning bigger hp boats and no one know that it had far more hp than indicated. You could get a 20 and get a 15 cowl and then look like the fastest 15 ever.

On the lake, some bass boaters would switch engine cowls. Suddenly you'd see a bass boat outrunning bigger hp boats and no one know that it had far more hp than indicated. You could get a 20 and get a 15 cowl and then look like the fastest 15 ever.

Great! First, we had the Hemi-powered Prius, now we've got the Sleeper Dink. :D

Granted, this was back in the mid-80s, but my soft bottom 3.10 Zodiac stood practically straight up when I slapped the 9.9 Penta on it.
Since I was in a hurry to try out both the new boat and its new motor, and obviously couldn't sit in the back, I had a redneck brain fart.
I duct-taped the extensions that happened to be laying around on my wife's favorite vacuum cleaner onto the tiller and sat with my feet dangling over the bow.
I'd already made it around the lake a couple of times at moderate speed when I decided to see if I could actually get the boat to plane, so I opened the throttle, and it was at that precise moment that I learned that duct tape doesn't hold up all that well when wet.
I was almost on a plane and at WOT when the vacuum cleaner tubes detached themselves from the tiller, the motor swung violently, and the Zodiac did an Olympic-quality double salto.
Unfortunately, it didn't land on its feet like most Olympians do, and I lost the motor to the bottomless pit which is Lake Morisco (a.k.a., 'le lac de la Négresse').
The worst part is that the vacuum cleaner tubes followed right behind, and that my first ex-wife still brings it up at every alimony hearing.:mad:

Great! First, we had the Hemi-powered Prius, now we've got the Sleeper Dink. :D

Granted, this was back in the mid-80s, but my soft bottom 3.10 Zodiac stood practically straight up when I slapped the 9.9 Penta on it.
Since I was in a hurry to try out both the new boat and its new motor, and obviously couldn't sit in the back, I had a redneck brain fart.
I duct-taped the extensions that happened to be laying around on my wife's favorite vacuum cleaner onto the tiller and sat with my feet dangling over the bow.
I'd already made it around the lake a couple of times at moderate speed when I decided to see if I could actually get the boat to plane, so I opened the throttle, and it was at that precise moment that I learned that duct tape doesn't hold up all that well when wet.
I was almost on a plane and at WOT when the vacuum cleaner tubes detached themselves from the tiller, the motor swung violently, and the Zodiac did an Olympic-quality double salto.
Unfortunately, it didn't land on its feet like most Olympians do, and I lost the motor to the bottomless pit which is Lake Morisco (a.k.a., 'le lac de la Négresse').
The worst part is that the vacuum cleaner tubes followed right behind, and that my first ex-wife still brings it up at every alimony hearing.:mad:

That's hilarious, Jacques...!!! Literally laughing out loud... :)

That being said, that great story as a basis for why not to go with a 15 or 20 on a dink makes less sense than duct-taping vacuum cleaner tubes to a tiller handle to pilot a dink from the bow... :)

Thats funny right there! That should be in the Humor thread.

Burgalat,
Only downside to me is a lack of reverse gear ... but who wants to go backwards.
Got it. OMC Light twin.
One of my favorite motors. 4 hp Two cylinders. 32#. Smooth and starts on first pull every time.

Burgalat,
Got it. OMC Light twin.

One of my favorite motors. 4 hp Two cylinders. 32#. Smooth and starts on first pull every time.

I had one. Pain in the a$$ to start, not easy to maneuver given no reverse or neutral, mostly caused bumper boats in tight quarters...

-Chris

I really like having reverse on a dink motor. Had two without and it annoyed me more than I expected. Present 4hp has reverse and I like it.

I agree, Ski. Reverse is important.

The Honda 2 has an ingenious swing/flip-tiller feature that makes using the reverse a breeze...if you sitting on the stbd side. Apparently it's intended to be completed with the left hand. It's the only way I could get it to work properly. I watched a newbie struggle with that motor from the port tube. When I suggested he switch sides, he was a natural.

Having a centrifugal clutch was a nice feature on that motor, too. If you were in low idle, the prop was stopped. Goose it a bit and the prop turns. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom