Bottom paint type

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Brian...what were you using before SeaVictor...And what colour is it?

I had used Micron Extra for 3 years, both blue and black. I'm using the Seavictor black at present. It might need some activity, as opposed to just sitting at the dock a lot of the time. My 5 month cruise last year was good activity, but I take the boat out every couple of weeks usually.

I agree Ted! Here’s an update. I have now found out that there are antifouling paints that can be imported into Canada with higher %’s of Cuprous Oxide:

https://www.ceaa-acee.gc.ca/050/documents/p80054/121029E.pdf

For example International Paint’s Ultra Kote can be imported into Canada and that varies between 66% (Ultra Kote) and 72% (Ultra Kote extra). So it seems there should be no reason why I would be refused from bringing one of these products across the border...either the International Paint product or the Pettit Trinidad.

Ted, if you happen to have a can of this stuff around how visible/prominent is the % copper content on the label?

Jim

I agree Ted! Here’s an update. I have now found out that there are antifouling paints that can be imported into Canada with higher %’s of Cuprous Oxide:

https://www.ceaa-acee.gc.ca/050/documents/p80054/121029E.pdf

For example International Paint’s Ultra Kote can be imported into Canada and that varies between 66% (Ultra Kote) and 72% (Ultra Kote extra). So it seems there should be no reason why I would be refused from bringing one of these products across the border...either the International Paint product or the Pettit Trinidad.

Ted, if you happen to have a can of this stuff around how visible/prominent is the % copper content on the label?

Jim

It isn't.

ZZ21851.jpg

Doesn't seem to be on the front of the can. I'm sure it's in the mouse type on the back.

Ted

:banghead:

This stuff drives me crazy. Nanny state broad brush approach by brain dead politicians. The concept of wanting to reduce copper based contaminants in marinas by lumping all copper based paints in the same category is insane. If you use a paint with a 3 to 5 year life expectancy that isn't ablative, it would seem a reasonable assumption that the amount of contamination from a diver scrubbing it would be exponentially less than a soft ablative with a 1 to 2 year life expectancy.

Well I guess I will need to follow a "Best Practice Approach" by maintaining a future supply of bottom paint in my spares department. :)

Ted

:banghead:

This stuff drives me crazy. Nanny state broad brush approach by brain dead politicians. The concept of wanting to reduce copper based contaminants in marinas by lumping all copper based paints in the same category is insane. If you use a paint with a 3 to 5 year life expectancy that isn't ablative, it would seem a reasonable assumption that the amount of contamination from a diver scrubbing it would be exponentially less than a soft ablative with a 1 to 2 year life expectancy.

Well I guess I will need to follow a "Best Practice Approach" by maintaining a future supply of bottom paint in my spares department. :)

Ted
Just had my CHB hauled and bottom painted at Marine Group in San Diego and here's what they used:IMG_5256(1).jpg

Just had my CHB hauled and bottom painted at Marine Group in San Diego and here's what they used:View attachment 91370

That anti fouling paint product exceeds California's maximum allowable copper leach rate and I assume you were only able to use it because the yard is selling its remaining stock. I'd be surprised if you get to use for your next bottom job.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom